Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Protokoll posted:

Please do not study for a cert if you don't plan on actually comprehending the BoK. You should be able to demonstrate passable understanding of basic concepts. We had a CCIE R&S interview last week that couldn't subnet a 10.x.x.x/20 address. He didn't know basic IOS commands. Today we interviewed an applicant for help desk with his Network+ that didn't know the purpose of a subnet mask.

Why are morons like this even given a chance for an in person interview? I'm assuming they had to have a BS resume and cheated to get the certs. It annoys me to read this because all I get are rejection letters and it would nice to get an interview for a change.

I'm slowly working at the CCNA but am somewhat lacking in motivation right now. I have my A+,N+,S+ and haven't had many results so far. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to quit trying to apply for jobs (because it feels like a wasted effort) and instead just focus on the getting my CCNA and then an active directory certification.

How much of a boost would having a CCNA add to getting hired somewhere? This is where I'm losing motivation, I don't want to spend months of work getting it and then have the same results I have now when it comes to jobs. I'll keep working at it but looking for work right now is just depressing :(.

Security+ is really easy also get the book by Darril Gibson and you can have it done in a week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Security+ was easiest cert so far for me. What made it easy I think is so much of it has to do with common sense and simply understanding vocabulary. I suppose it would be harder if you had no prior knowledge of networks/computers in general. Again the Security+ book by Daniel Gibson really helped.

Question on the cisco IOS, in the real world do network engineers configure entire networks using the CLI? I'm guessing Cisco just wants its candidates to have knowledge of it. Although from what I'm aware of most Cisco routers do not have a GUI for configuration. I would think Cisco would have better user interfaces but I'm guessing their 90 percent market share means they have no reason to expend the effort. Nothing wrong with a CLI only but does seem odd that's all that is offered.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've been getting between 90% to 95% on my A+ practice tests, but people recommend I get 100% twice before taking the real test. The real annoying thing is memorizing all the different types of motherboards, CPU sockets, and RAM. I mean gently caress, you either need to be a computer or autistic to memorize all of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket

And these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIMM

poo poo like Wireless standards and port numbers are easy because I use them everyday at work, but hell, if I ask any of my coworkers what kind of processor goes into a LGA 775 / Socket T, or "what's the voltage on an ATX motherboard" everyone's like "gently caress if I know, I'd just check online." I've never actually had to change out a processor, because generally in that event it tends to be more cost-effective for us to just replace the motherboard or the whole computer.

I'm sorry, I'm just venting a little frustration.

The questions about socket types are no longer on that test, nor were any questions on voltages other then what the voltages were for each color of a 12 pin power connectors. Be aware of ATX, BTX, and NLX the other subtypes are not included. Best advice is read and read some more and eventually some will sink in. Really the worst part about the A+ were the stupid printer questions why the hell would a PC tech need to know the intricate details of how a printer works. If there is a real problem with a printer you call a printer maintenance tech anyway.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

psydude posted:

Seriously, CompTIA? Who the gently caress still uses T568A. That's like asking for a network diagram on a token ring network.

From a book I used last year the reasoning given is that techs should know how to wire their own Ethernet cables and I'll just quote the passage that explains the reasoning.

Mike Meyers posted:

The ability to make your own Ethernet cables is a real plus for a busy network tech... Why do the 568 standards say to split one of the pairs to the 3 and 6 positions? Wouldn't it make more sense to wire them sequentially (1 and 2;3 and 4;5 and 6;7 and 8)? The reason for this strange wiring scheme stems from the telephone world. A single telephone line uses two wires, and a typical RJ-11 connector has four connections. A single line is wired in the 2 and 3 positions; if the RJ-11 is designed to support a second phone line, the other pair is wired 1 and 4. TIA/EIA kept the old telephone standard for backward compatibility. The standardization doesn't stop stop at the wiring scheme : you can plug an RJ-11 connector into an RJ-45 outlet.

Oh wow this must be dated I've never heard of using an RJ-11 in an RJ-45 jack.

Honestly you to have memorize so much junk for those tests (cert forums really dislike talking so negatively about it). I'm just glad I'm done with Comptia. I think it's a good start in order to find out if you are truly interested in IT but it's only a start. I'm almost done with a two year degree in computer networking technology, and the focus has been on comptia (I got college credit for every certification). In retrospect if I had known more I'd have worked on a degree in CIS instead (CCNA focused) but I was clueless back then. Anyway I'm working the CCNA now. Subnetting is slowing me down but just need to keep working at it.

Lammle's Book is really not helping me learn subnetting can anyone recommend something better?

hooah posted:

I've started studying for the Network+ test using the Lammle book from Sybex, and I've noticed in the end-of-chapter quizzes that there are often questions about things that haven't been covered yet (e.g. the OSI chapter, 2, has a question about bridges, hubs, and routers, but bridges and hubs were only mentioned in passing). Is this BS going to be a common occurrence for the rest of the book?

Yes, you need to read the book with a fine tooth comb basically or have prior knowledge. If you're type of person that prefers videos there is this site: http://www.professormesser.com/ he's alright no annoying voice or anything worth a look.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
^^
Great job, You are a two levels above me. How long did you spend working on getting CCNP ROUTE?

I am not a huge note taker when reading books. I'll often go through a book two times to fully grasp the concept, that's just been my learning style. Though I know I will have to reread chapter for example if I get a low score on the end of chapter test.

I've noticed a lot of people asking the A+ lately. I wonder it would be ok if I uploaded an exam study guide here from a book I used last year? Edit: Anyway I'm just gonna upload it's not like there's anything wrong with it.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 18, 2013

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

hooah posted:

In the Lammle Network+ chapter on networking devices, he shows network diagrams that have some switches connected to another switch, with the hosts connected to the secondary switches. He doesn't explain this (at least not in this chapter), so what is the reasoning here? Why wouldn't you just connect the four hosts to one switch, instead?

Assume each of the hosts is simply a model and doesn't truly represent the numbers of hosts you would have on a real network.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Any good estimate on how long IPv4 will remain the industry standard before IPv6 becomes the new standard? I've heard IPv4 will be the standard for at least another five years or more.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 23, 2013

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
One thing about subnetting has been confusing as well since we are still kinda on that topic. Does the the ip address class in relation to the subnet class matter?

For example 10.0.0.0 can use a class A mask /8 or B /16 or C /24. It doesn't matter and I've read no rules restricting use.
192.0.0.0 can do the same in fact for purposes of subneting 192.0.0.0 seems to be the same as 10.0.0.0 not counting that 190.0.0.0 is a public address.

Am I free to break the association between IP class and the subnet class from my head or there is a rule I missed?

In fact it seems like any address could use any mask provided the LAST 3 octets started at 0. The class A,B,C thing for subnet masks feels like a misnomer or am I misunderstanding?

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 23, 2013

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

psydude posted:

You can get by with GNS3 and an old 2950.

I can run GNS3 fine with nothing but the correct IOS image. Why would you even need the 2950 (feels like I'm missing something very obvious)?

The one thing that had me stuck for a day was getting the "cloud" or real connection to your PC to work. Note that if you have a wireless connection on your PC to router, you'll need to create a bridge with the loopback adapter and most importantly restart your PC. It sounds very simple but google searching for an answer did not help.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
My understanding of certifications is that unless IT companies/HR are aware of the certs and value them, they aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Now who here is interested enrolling in my exclusive (and very expensive) program to earn your GOON+ certification?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

1000101 posted:

Most HR folks in companies with IT departments actually do value them! Also resellers put a huge value on certifications because it qualifies them for specific levels of partnership with their vendors which means bigger discounts/margins.

If you're a good engineer and you have certifications then you open up the door to make more money and you're more easily employable.

I know that of course, I'm working my rear end off to get the CCNA for that reason. What I meant is that is HR really going to care about certs that are basically worthless. Examples:

CompTIA IT for Sales
CompTIA ~cloud~
CompTIA Green IT

These are just from comptia and I'm sure there many more.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
These will help for the A+ I pulled them out of a guide I had.

The certs alone probably won't be enough (I had great trouble finding jobs with the same certs) but that CS degree should make a difference.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

GOOCHY posted:

Passed the CCNA this morning 920/1000. The EIGRP lab bugged out on me so I lost some points on it. Might take a look and see if I can appeal the lost points just for grins. Otherwise, glad to have it behind me. Onward and upward...

Congrats! Usual question but what materials did you use/testing software?

I'm reading Odom's book and really rethinking my policy on note-taking.I normally just read a book once or twice. That's worked my whole life but there is so much to cover on the CCNA and I must remember all terms. I believe compete mastery will be necessary here and I need to step up my own pace.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'm looking at starting on the VCP5-DCV cert from vmware as I'm told that would easier than a citrix certification. Just how difficult are vmware certs? Apart from the cost which I'll figure out how to deal with. Are they equal or harder than Cisco's? Less math I'm told which is a huge bonus for me but asking here.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Corvettefisher posted:

Citrix is by far easier to get than VMware. VMware's tests are very very difficult if you haven't worked with the product, or architecture of a virtualized environment.

I wouldn't say they are as hard as cisco's "you forgot the - so it is wrong", but if you haven't been working with VMware or Virtualization you are going to have a tough time.

My friend did a right up of his expirence FYI
http://www.vhersey.com/2013/02/citrix-certified-advanced-administrator-ccaa-for-xenapp-6/

I'd only have experience if you count something like VMware workstation or virtualbox which are basically for end users and developers.

That's very helpful, thanks. Still planning as this is a big change on what I was doing before (CCNA). From reading your friend's article it seems like a good idea to get a Citrix cert first in order to get some basic experience and then move to VMware.

Tab8715 posted:

Heh - there are Citrix Certs too... Curious, how much are these worth on their own? Are they as valuable as a CCNA or CCIE?

I suppose it would depend on your perspective employer and what they want. Mine did not care about the CCNA in the least bit but that's a university environment. No idea on the industry as a whole other than the CCIE is highly regarded and very expensive.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Have I got great news for you then. It appears that there is a community college in North Carolina - Stanly Community College, to be precise - that is offering the VMware vSphere 5: Install, Configure, Manage course for $250 (cost of class + books + shipping). The course is online over a period of 8 weeks and you can go at your own pace, and from the forums I've been visiting a lot of people are very satisfied with the quality of the instruction, but even more thrilled with the price. On top of all that, at the end of the course you get a 70% off coupon for the exam, so your total out-of-pocket costs will be less than 10% of what everyone else is paying just for the class.

Next session starts in August, so you have a month or so before sign-ups.

That's very useful indeed, thanks for the tip! I read that's it's 3 grand to get a VMware cert without going through a college.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

QPZIL posted:

Guess all my worry was unfounded.
925/1000 - CCENT: check.

Next Friday is Server 2012 MCSA part one, time to switch gears.

What practice tests did you use? I'm at 750ish on scores last I tried a test. Still not ready.

I want the ICND1 done this month as well so I can finally stop constantly thinking whenever I try to relax that I should be working on the CCNA instead. Must get this done.

I've just followed lab simulations and I'm definitely learning that way. Is there a guide around you guys are using to build a lab? It would be worthwhile to do using packetracer or GNS3. The real equipment would be fun but I can't afford the luxury at the moment as it's not needed.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I tried to read the same cisco press books using a kindle paperwhite and had the same issue. The formatting was messed up and I never could find a proper conversion tool. I think as mentioned textbooks are best viewed on a tablet. The kindle fire worked great for me.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'm finally taking the 640-22 exam on Friday myself. I've done nothing but lab and study this week and last week. I'm in the same scoring range myself and feel the same way. I'm trying not to think about it too much.

What I plan to do as soon I sit down at the testing center is to write down last the 16 subnet masks by prefix and decimal notation as well as the increment. It takes me too long sometimes to figure what something like /21 is my head and no time to risk errors. I'm also going to write down the powers of 2 up to 12 or so for those questions that ask how about maximum hosts or subnets.

Good luck to you though! Hopefully by this time Friday we'll both have passed.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
ICND 1 640-822 is down, one more to go. Definitely need to be fast if you have any hoping of passing. I was so drat nervous I'm still impressed that I passed. Writing all the masks helped me save valuable time.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
If know if you choose a network administration emphasis you'll eventually be working on the CCNA. Wow looking at just bachelor's that is really simple. You'll need to move network administration if want some challenge. For network administration I see the CCNA, and MCSA certs listed. Your idea might not be bad though just to breeze though a B.S degree.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Lunaris posted:

I should have specified; I'm in the it security program so there's at least a ccna in there eventually.

Would it be worth it to go grab the net+ on my own or would that look redundant next to a ccna?

Net+ would be redundant and almost worthless compared to the CCNA, and an bigger waste if you're spending your own money. Net+ is basically just an overview of the CCENT/ICND1 portion of the CCNA. I'd only recommend it if you were required to pass net+.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
^
Yeah the comptia certs just barely helped me get a help desk job and it wasn't easy so don't expect that from a having few extremely basic certs.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Just finished with Odom's ICND2 book and lord is that man the driest writer I have ever encountered. He writes exactly like an instruction booklet. I also get the strong feeling he adds too much superfluous information that will not be on the test.

Is it possible to pass using just using Lammele's book or another author? The problem with Odom is that reading him and understanding him is work in and of itself. :smithicide: I've good some labbing to do now that's a positive at least.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 9, 2013

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Thanks, Getting through his writing alone was going to take another 2 weeks. I was just comparing Lammle's chapter on NAT to Odom's and the difference in readability is something else.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Passed CCNA R&S today and I'm just glad I'm done with the material and can move on to something else. I've been over Odom's book twice and I was getting sick of It. It was a hard test but not as hard as any of the practice tests I've taken.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
CCNA Voice is quite fun. Most of my battle right now is getting the right equipment together. CCNA R&S is almost a joke in comparison as almost nothing needs to be known about hardware if you have a lab sim.

I'm enjoying it though. Rather than get ripped off buying kits I'm buying the routers/equipment I need and installing the components myself. The goal should never be to pass a test but to actually learn what you are doing. Setting up a real lab is proving to be a bit pricey but I'd rather not do it on GNS3.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 12, 2013

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'd go with Lammle's book as it's easier to read then the cisco press books. Try to get the CBT nuggets videos as well, Jeremy is one of the few not boring tech people I've ever heard. The new exam covers a few more topics at the CCENT level, do note that IPv6 is included. You'll need a lab simulator but I'm assuming you had one already if you were able to get your CCENT the first time.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
cbtnuggets.com and the videos are $99. It really depends, do you learn well just from a book or does a lecture help as well?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
A+ is good for learning. I went to community college first and thanks to getting the A+ I received credit at WGU. Besides that one cert is better than none. A+ helped get me on the path and I got a job or two thanks to it, nothing big yet. A+ will not get you a decent IT job (in my experience) so take note.

Had a question I've been thinking about my plans. I'm working on a BS IT network administration degree at WGU. This will mean I eventually get a MCTIP.

Now what I'm starting to think is it might be a wise choice to go for the security emphasis IT degree instead.

So tell me what's more valuable having CCNA: R&S, Voice, and Security. (CCNA associate everything!)

Versus what would be CCNA R&S, Voice and MCTIP.

I don't have Voice yet but I'm taking the test this week, I may just go for a regular IT degree once I'm able to secure a good job. My goal is to get a networking job with a VoIP emphasis. Goes without saying but I definitely like Cisco. The only other company that has my attention is VMware and those certs.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

psydude posted:

CCNA R&S is enough on its own; get the MCSE. Even network engineers have to do a good amount of systems administration, because chances are good you'll be in charge of the monitoring/logging servers and possibly the vSphere server, too. Getting some linux or BSD experience would be good, as well, since a lot of appliances run on a Linux/BSD backend.

From what I've gathered, voice is only good if you're planning on going for the CCNP: V. And I would eschew Security in favor of the CISSP instead.

This is basically what I've my thoughts are as well. I can only do so much entry level Cisco before it becomes time to learn more variety. The admin/MCTIP program at WGU seems like a sound choice for an overall network admin career.

I'm also aware the higher level cisco exams are for those in the business and not to be looked at until I have my first entry-level role.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
My CCNA certification is going to expire in a year. This is a bit of an annoying problem. Right now in my career CCNP certification would not be that helpful so I'd rather do this later. What's my best option here? Should I just get CCNP route done or is there maybe an easier way to recertify? How hard is ROUTE exactly? I'm cringing a bit because I really don't want to work on something harder than the CCNA was at this point in time. I'm just hoping ROUTE won't be as hard/take as long the CCNA did was because CCNP is cut up into three different parts.

I guess I need to just suck it up and get working on ROUTE, really hoping this one will be easier than the CCNA was. That's my big worry I'm getting set up for a test that will be harder then CCNA. I prefer to want to do certifications not have to.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Eletriarnation posted:

If you don't care about CCNP at all you can retake the CCNA exam but TSHOOT was the easiest in my opinion. You need to be comfortable with OSPF, EIGRP, and BGP and the CCNP's switching topics enough to troubleshoot so it does have some material that the CCNA doesn't cover, but it's a lot more concrete than ROUTE and SWITCH. I felt like some of the questions in the other two were more abstract and/or subjective in nature than the largely simulator-based TSHOOT and found that more difficult.

If you're a lot stronger in the routing topics than the switching ones though, you could also look at ROUTE first. I didn't think any of the three was a huge step up in difficulty from the NA, it's just a lot more material in all three together.

I'm just being lazy and had to get some complaining out of my system. I do think the fact the certifications expire can be a motivating factor in moving forward. There's no way I'd just recertify that would be a waste of time. CCNA security could be an interesting alternative though I don't work with that area myself right now so probably not for me. The hardest part about these certifications is getting started and I'm working on get myself psyched up.

My plan is to do ROUTE because I always liked learning about routing and it was pretty easy for me to understand, more so than switching. Is there any rough ETA on how long these exams might take to study for? I've read about maybe 3 months for ROUTE which would then also renew all Cisco Certifications and remove a little a bit of pressure.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I’m working on my last class to graduate at WGU. This loving SQL data management course. The project has to be perfect not just passing which isn’t the way WGU is supposed to be.2nd submission now...

I pass this then I have one more easier test and finally my degree. 33 days left!

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I’m finishing my BS in IT this December.

For a masters degree so many well known schools have online programs these days I would personally go with an established brick and mortar college. I’m tired of WGU and can’t wait to finish so my opinion may be biased.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I finally decided it's time to recertify my CCNA. Life happened is the short story to how I let the cert lapse. So I paid 40 bucks for todd lammle's book. (I like having a physical book when I study). My carefree downtime days at work are done. I have until the 24th of feb to get this done. I expect it will be much easier this time since it's all just a refresher.

After that either CCNP R&S or CCNA cybersecurity will cross that bridge when I get there.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I may have got myself into a bind. My new boss was really interested when I told him I was studying for CCNA security. I wasn't planning on doing it just yet. Anyway I need to get this done by Feb 23. I have my CCNA it expired though but this cert will renew it. Has anyone else taken CCNA securty 210-260? I'm going to try and knock it out in a month. He's given me a huge amount of study time but there is pressure.

I expect this will take a month?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

MF_James posted:

Does another cert renew the CCNA R&S if it expired? I thought you had to retake the test if it expired.

My understanding is that if my CCNA has R&S expired (it did a year ago) I could take something like CCNA wireless, or security instead and it would renew R&S as well? Cisco's website doesn't make this this very clear.

Contingency posted:

Not what you asked, but I passed the CCNA Wireless exam with about 30 hours of study time. The knowledge is not in depth, but you'll need to be able to recall stuff like frequency bands and agencies. Keep in mind that you'll also have to take the CCENT as the Wireless exam alone won't confer a CCNA Wireless.

I'm trying to knock out CCNA Cyber Ops before the Feb deadline. This is generic security analyst training, and I'd rather have a junior firewall admin know this material than being able to recite three key features of Cisco ESA, WSA, ISE, etc. which is what CCNA Security will give you. It is a standalone program and you do not need to take the CCENT to earn CCNA Cyber Ops. It is a 2 exam sequence, but if you are familiar with incident response, the SECFND is not at all difficult. I felt the OCGs covered the material well, but I haven't started on SECOPS yet. If you pass this exam, you will be converted to a CCNA in February. Unless you work with ASDMs, IPv6, and routing protocols on a regular basis, I think it'd be less work than CCENT+CCNA Security.

Thanks for the mentioning this. I was starting to watch CBT nugget videos on CCNA security that has been interesting but I've heard that the security test doesn’t match with core study materials and can be hard. I'm going to take a look at wireless instead.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 11, 2019

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Looks like I’m going to need to pass the CCNA R&S composite exam first. Shouldn’t take me too long it’s just review.

edit: Forget that idea the composite exam has a 90 percent fail rate. Safer to do the two exams. Lesson here don’t let your CCNA expire!

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Would passing ICND1 + Wireless also renew my expired CCNA R&S? I will be going for my CCNP R&S as well after I finish this cert.