Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Balthesar posted:

I passed the 70-461 (Querying SQL Server 2012) exam a couple of weeks ago. I've always had some interest in SQL but am using the exams as a blueprint for topics to study or look into.

I think the most frustrating thing about the 2012 series of Microsoft exams is that the exams have come out long before the materials to study with are available. There are a number of books for the SQL and Server series that aren't even available until April 2013, many months after both Server and SQL 2012 were released. There are plenty of other resources, but the thing I like about the exam prep series is the mapping between the book and exam objectives.

Sadly, this seems to pretty much be normal for the SQL exams. Microsoft never wrote books for anything other then first round of SQL Server exams for 2008 and they've grown the number of exams with 2012, so we'll see what they manage to actually get out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

incoherent posted:

The 70-461 is on its second reprint (ebook only so far). The e-book shipped in november, and the print went out in dec/january. I spent a great deal of money on a paperweight, basically.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/errata.csp?isbn=0790145345059

Sadly, that's pretty much been standard for the SQL exam texts. The SQL 2008 MCITP:DBA book MS Press put out was a terrible rush job that never got updated (yet still took forever to come out), and they didn't even bother to write anything covering the second exam.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

For anyone doing the SQL 2012 exams, probably good to try and wrap them up in the next month, as Microsoft will be revamping them to include SQL 2012 & SQL 2014 content, and there's always a lag between that and when test prep materials are updated:

quote:

Certification Update—SQL Server 2014

To help students stay current with upcoming release of SQL Server 2014, all MCSE-level SQL exams (464 through 467) will be updated on April 24, 2014 to cover solutions based on both SQL Server 2012 and 2014 products.

The MCSA: SQL Server 2012 credential and associated exams (461/462/463) will remain in market without alterations. No MCSA: SQL Server 2014 credential will be released.

Details on the exam updates, in the form of side-by-side comparisons of exam objectives, are now available for review through the "content covering SQL Server 2014" link in the Skills Measured section of each Exam Detail web page:

Exam 70-464: Developing Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases
Exam 70-465: Designing Database Solutions for SQL Server 2012
Exam 70-466: Implementing a Data Warehouse with SQL Server 2012
Exam 70-467: Designing Business Intelligence Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server 2012
Note While the exam numbers will not change, the product version (2012) will be removed from the titles of the exams. Updated Microsoft Official Courseware (MOC) will be available in May 2014.

Whether you have started on the path to earning your certification or are just about to begin, we recommend that you continue moving forward. For certifications on SQL Server 2012, the exams you take now will still count towards your certification.

For the latest information on upcoming changes to the certifications and related exams, please review our SQL Server FAQ.

http://pages.email.microsoftemail.c...9e-3d6a9a706110

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

AlternateAccount posted:

So is there a consensus on the 2012 MCSA vs. 2008? I'm leaning toward 2012, but I can't articulate why. Also, is there a preferred order for taking the tests?

There's not a hugely compelling reason to do 2008 unless you plan on doing the upgrade just to have "more" certs.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can I get some feedback from people who have gone down the SQL road, how useful would this be to someone who wants to focus on Sysadmin stuff and Virtualization? I know that databases are required for some of the VMware stuff but I'm not sure how much synergy is really there.

Not super useful, it's stuff you'll likely forget if you don't use it on a regular basis or aren't doing more complex SQL setups (HA, etc)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Meydey posted:

Does anyone know if Microsoft is doing the 50% off cert tests at Ignite (Teched) in Chicago this year? I did Teched in Houston last year, did not do any tests.
Thinking I should get off my rear end and do 410, 411, and 412 (MCSA Server 2012) considering I have been doing the job for 2 years now.

It's a pretty standard offering at their conferences, although I'd still argue that your time at a conference is far better spent networking and going to sessions vs taking tests.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

MJP posted:

2k8 isn't depreciated. It's still in active support and use. Vendors can and do still say that they only support running on 2k8, and 2k12 isn't yet recommended/supported for whatever lovely application they're using.

If nothing else, OP's going to have to take in a huge amount of material specific to and useful only for the MCSA certs, and it's best to keep things familiar as much as possible IMO. Throwing 2012 into the fray introduces a lot of very different and new concepts.

We're starting to see vendors drop windows server 2008 support for various line of business apps we support. I don't really see a compelling reason for someone starting out to cert on those, 2012R2 makes a lot more sense.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

incoherent posted:

2008 R2 is supported till 2020 or some such it's still a valid platform to learn.

2008 though, yeah forget it.

Server 2008 & 2008R2 have the exact same support lifetime, they drop off mainstream support (so no more hotfixes outside of security stuff unless you have the $$$ contract in place) next week.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

MJP posted:

It's the actual boss. He's not really pushing it, he basically is making the noise that in a small company like ours, jack-of-all-trades is a good thing.

I honestly couldn't possibly care less about SQL - my real interest is in the Windows/VMware side of things, but our company will never be large enough to merit having a dedicated Windows/VMware guy.

I've got my resume out to keep my eyes peeled, but I've got the 2k3, 2k8, and 2k12 MCSAs and a VCP. I have no interest in the Hyper-V cert that is the server infrastructure MCSE for 2k12.

The balance of the job hunt is out of scope of this thread, and I spare no illusions about the fact that a VCP didn't do much despite it saving a ton of dollars that would otherwise get outsourced. A "proficient" on a performance review won't leverage well into me asking for a salary adjustment instead of the across-the-board raise that the entire company supposedly will get.

Anyway, right now what interests me isn't really even getting more certs. I took a shot that the Citrix CCA-V/1Y0-200 and failed by 3% last month, just to hopefully leverage said raise, but it did at least give me better background knowledge. The huge lack of prep material makes me shy away from losing another $200 retaking it - I'd make it back if I passed, at least, but there's nothing exam-specific out there and the Xendesktop 7 Cookbook didn't do that well as my score suggests.

On the plus side of SQL, he did say that if I could take billable hours off of the SQL consultant/DBA we outsource to it'd bump things up on the next review. However, given that the performance reviews apparently have zero impact on salary increases (again, companywide) I honestly don't feel very motivated to give any more than what's necessary.

The SQL stuff is really a "use it or lose it" type of skill set, a good DBA is a full time DBA, and sadly, knowing what's in the MS SQL certification tests is really a "dipping your toe in the water" type thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bigass Moth posted:

Serious question, what is going on in India? I just talked to a double ccie with three years of experience. Do they have diploma mill tech programs?

Ha, we got an email from a guy in india with a bunch of certs (I don't think he was CCIE, maybe just CCNP) looking for freelance work. His rate? $10/hour.