Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Passed the Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) Database 11g exam earlier this week. The exam content is about 65% just RMAN/backup/recovery/flashback and then small chunks of memory management/tuning/scheduler/resource manager to top it up to 100%.

I found the Oracle Press book for OCP to be very good and there was very little in the exam which wasn't covered. The only downside to the book is the practises are poor and in some places simply wrong or very subjective. So the chapters are great, but expect to shout at the practise exercises. The CD that came with the book has a practise exam on it which had some value, but some of the 'correct' answers were wrong or again very subjective (e.g. pick the 'best' without any criteria). The real exam didn't appear to have any wrong 'correct' answers or any subjective questions.

2 other resources I found which were very useful - The CBT nuggets videos and the transcender practise exams. The quality of the questions in the transcender practise exams was good and I think it was money well spent as it was pitched at the same level as the real exam. It also has good detailed explanations when you 'show answers' and has hyperlinks to the relevant sections in the Oracle docs for further reading. I used this a lot.

My main tip for preparing for this exam is to try everything on a crash and burn test database. I must have done 100 backups/restores and tried all the scenarios to cause failures and fix it for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Can someone recommend a good study guide/book for the Redhat RHCSA certification ?

Are there any tips for studying other than the usual build a VM/install/break/fix/play route as you go through the book ?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Moey posted:

Are you taking 6 or 7? Not in my ally, but I believe this was the book that is normally mentioned: http://www.amazon.com/RHCSA-RHCE-Red-Linux-Certification/dp/0071765654

Docjowles should be able to chime in.

I was going to do 6 but I've noticed that the exam is no longer held at the normal local centres, they only do 7 now. The 6 exam is only available via 'onsite' or using one their Kiosks and the nearest one to me is hours away.

Guess I'll be doing 7.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Docjowles posted:

I think there's official training available from Red Hat, but the typical books like Jang's aren't out yet.

There was a post on a Linux forum last week by Jang saying a 7th edition of his book was in the works. No ETA on when it will be available though.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
He replies sometimes on the linuxquestions forums,

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-certification-46/paging-micheal-jang-4175510796/

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Doing Security + in a couple weeks.

Just read the book, do the practice tests and memorize the port chart and I'm good right?

I'm doing it in 2 weeks as well - just finished watching the Professor Messer's videos and have printed off the port list to stick on the wall behind my monitor. Next I'm going to do a run through Darril Gibson book, and then either get these practise tests http://gcgapremium.com/sy0-401-security-practice-test-questions/ or splash out for the transcender.

Think that will be plenty as it seems mostly common sense.

Assuming that goes well I'm thinking of either doing Certified Ethical Hacker or CISSP next. The CISSP would be nice but the thought of a 6 hour exam is a bit of a brain killer.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Ozu posted:

As much as it gets poo poo on by InfoSec professionals, the CISSP actually holds weight with human resources and recruiters. Definitely head in that direction.

I can't imagine too many people in a position to hire looking at Certified Ethical Hacker on a resume and thinking anything other than, "Oh, ok".

You make a good point - there are niche roles within my existing company for Ethical Hackers, but the CISSP is a nice tick box for a lot more possible security roles. I'll bite the bullet and do that next.

The curriculum looks like an extension of sec+ really, so another month of study at lunch/evenings/weekends should get me ready. Next challenge is expensing the exam :)

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

So Security+ has added performance based questions since the Gibson book went to press.

One of the questions could be getting an md5 hash. That's fine, but that feature doesn't come with Windows and you need to get a program for it. How you'll know what to run on the test will be hard unless that program happens to be in the directory you're in. :catstare:

I'm not sure how to feel about them adding things like that and the review books not getting new editions. Luckily I've been looking for supplemental material but someone could just as easily use only the book and show up to the exam only to get dinged on something minor like that.

Not sure what version of the Gibson book you are using but the SY0-401 version of his book shows a screenshot of exactly how to do this on page 389.

In the screenshot it shows them doing a dir which shows md5sum.exe and the also the file you want to hash.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'll change my suggestion of using Transcender tests for Security+ as they seem awful. I've used them for other certs in the past but for security+ it seems to be lots of random questions and terms that are never mentioned in the study guides including one gem where the correct answer is the key combination needed by Internet Explorer to allow a pop-up window when pop-ups are blocked.

The references for the answers seem like a random list of hits off google including sites in china and diy personal webpage.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Just passed the updated CompTIA Security+ exam with a 867/900 which is nice to get out of the way before Christmas.

The Darril Gibson book covered everything in the exam and I also used the practice exam book 'CompTIA Security+ Certification Practice Exams, Second Edition'. The questions in the practice book (800+ with the online ones you also get) were pitched at just the right level and were well worth the money.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I had 6 performance based questions. 3 were pretty clear, 1 was clear but used some terminology I hadn't seen so I now know I got it wrong, 1 was a bit subjective, and the 6th was really really subjective (e.g. do you put this security device here or here ? I've seen both used 50/50 in the real world so quite how one is the 'correct' place is a total guess).

The multiple choice questions were clear and I didn't see any trick questions.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

madpanda posted:

Is it fair to say that a good portion of businesses will still be using rhel6 for a while?

I'm also assuming that getting rhcsa certified for rhel6 will provide more than enough foundation to get it for rhel7.

I know i will need to learn systemd for example, which is quite the :can: from what I've read.

I probably deal with over 1000 support tickets on Linux boxes ever year covering hundreds of different customers across all sorts of industries - I see a pretty even split of RHEL 5 & 6, with not even 1% using RHEL 7 yet. So I wouldn't worry about about the amount of life left in RHEL 6 as its got years yet.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
For Security+ practice questions I'd really recommend this practice book,

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Secur...ity%2B+practise

Its just practice questions and was a really good match for when I did the exam. No stupid trick questions and everything pitched at the right level. I was getting 85-95% in most of the practice chapters in the book and got over 90% on the real exam.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Security+ does get mentioned in UK jobs ads, and I know of some large UK non-IT companies that require all of their IT staff to do it.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've been studying for the CISSP and I'm really quite disappointed with it. It has such a good reputation I thought I was going to be real step beyond the updated SY0-401 Security+, but it frankly doesn't seem to be.

Feels like its reputation comes from the very long exam rather than the content.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

El Chingon posted:

Hi guys, I tried looking for a question like the one the last few pages but couldn't find any. My question is the following:

Any recommendation to study for the Oracle OCA and OCP certs? I work in Tech Support in Mexico, but I sometimes have to travel to other countries in Latin America, so a paid course in a classroom is very difficult for me.

I have a lab server with Oracle 11g under SuSE linux at work for testing that I can use to practice if needed and can access from the intranet. Are there any online courses or books that could help me pass the cert exam?

I've done the 11g OCA and OCP - For the OCP I'd suggest use a virtualbox system and do endless try-it/break-it/fix-it for all of the recovery scenarios (manual and RMAN). With a virtualbox machine you can just use a snapshot to roll things back if you really manage to trash it.

For study guides I found Oracle Press books very good and the CBT Nuggets videos were also useful.

The Transcender Practise Exams were pitched at the right level seemed to match the style & difficulty of the actual exams - so from my perspective it was money well spent.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
For anyone who has been thinking about doing RHCSA/RHCE the good news is that the updated version of Michael Jang's book for RHEL 7 is finally out next week. I seem to have had this on pre-order forever so it will be good to work through it.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Roargasm posted:

Amazon says February now do you have a link? I'm probably sticking with Ghori since I'm about half way thru it. Awesome new job basically keeps me on retainer to write Powershell scripts so I haven't been very motivated :yotj:

On amazon.co.uk its next week, and Feb 2016 for amazon.com - Publishers often have a different dates for EU/US for non-technical books, but I've not seen it for one like this before. Assuming it arrives next week then I'll let you know !

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Baconroll posted:

On amazon.co.uk its next week, and Feb 2016 for amazon.com - Publishers often have a different dates for EU/US for non-technical books, but I've not seen it for one like this before. Assuming it arrives next week then I'll let you know !

Nope its not out today in Europe - Just got an email from amazon saying the Michael Jang Linux book has been delayed a month...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Looks like the 7th edition of the Michael Jang Redhat RHCSA/RHCE book is finally out - I've ordered it and should be getting it tomorrow.

Hopefully it will be as good as the earlier versions !