Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm doing a few courses at my local college based around entry level IT certs. Starting with the MCTS 70-640 was a little overwhelming at first, but now that I'm almost done with the text book and the lab book, I consider myself having a basic foundation of Active Directory knowledge. I do have 2 problems though:

1. The lab/text book isn't very good. It's the Wiley MCTS 70-640. I've just finished the really bare bones DNS chapter in the lab book and the final lab was about the AD RMS, so immediately I thought to myself "finally, I get to see what this service does" since the text book only has a paragraph of information on it. Turns out the lab has you install AD RMS and...that's it. I still have no idea how to work with this service. I'm pretty much going to have to rely on my instructor to explain it to me.

While at home I'm also using the CPT Nuggets videos on 70-640 which have much better information than the Wiley book. I'm also using this book for additional information:
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Serve...rds=MCTS+70-640

2. I've taken a few practice tests and I'm kind of blown away at the amount of questions about CA and DNS. I thought 70-642 was suppose to cover DNS in depth, instead it looks like I get 20% DNS questions and 20% CA questions, both topics I know very little about.

I've been getting an almost consistent ~550 score on the practice exams so I'm definitely not ready for the certification. I know I just need to study more and really double down on the labs in the chapter, I just felt I needed to vent some of this.

I'm also curious about the real world application of this book. Sorry if this question is a little out of place in the cert thread, but I just felt asking here would be better:

A week ago I just finished the final chapter of Group Policy. The book has a whole 4 chapters about all these intricate little things you can do with these policies, and I just have to ask how relevant all of this is to a real world domain? How often do you use group policies, and is having vast knowledge on the subject a huge positive on your resume for most entry level IT jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I finally passed the 70-640 after months of stalling and telling everyone I was taking it "soon". Those certificate questions are absolutely killer, and I felt like they comprised way more than 20% of the exam(or maybe they just stuck out for me more than others). This is a huge weight off my shoulders as I can now relax for spring and get my A+ and N+ out of the way before moving on to 70-642.

That's 1 certification down out of 5.

A+
N+
70-640
70-642
Windows 7

penga86 posted:

Man I really hope I pass the 70-640 when I take it again. I had to reschedule my retake exam twice due to work scheduling ($35 each time to reschedule). Add in the cost of having to take it twice, this is starting to get mighty expensive due to me being unable to pass on my first go around.

Hey man, you'll get it next time. That's crazy they charge you money to reschedule a exam though.

For about 2 weeks, I ended up doing nothing but reading technet articles and doing heavy lab work with CS, and even with all of that, it was the lowest part of my test.