Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Is this a decent set of study material for CCNP R&S?

http://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-Official-Certification-Library/dp/1587202247

Any other recommended readings?

Second, what's the preferred material for MCSA - Server 2012?

E: if these are questions that are in the thread 45 times just pretend I never asked them, as I realized too late that they probably are, disregard. I'll read the thread as I have time.

Tiny amount of content: Work sent me to ICND1 and 2 these past two weeks, I'm having a ton of fun. I never really do networking for actual work (linux admin) so it's a nice change of pace. The theory stuff does not seem nearly as dry and impenetrable when it's not written by Odom.

It's also kind of funny how often he's like "this isn't accurate, but it is what you should memorize."

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Aw man, since I haven't lived here a year yet, community college fees are outrageous. For a fall/winter class, 3 credits for in-state, in-district is $400, for out-of-state it's $2200. :smith:

The school a mile from my house does have vmware and cisco classes though, so in 8 months that'll be pretty cool :v:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

swampcow posted:

Check out your school's policy on auditing classes. You might be able to sit in on the class for free or a reduced rate. You wouldn't get school credit for it, but if the point is to just learn the material, who cares?

If the school won't allow it, befriend the instructor and sit in on the class anyway.

I thought about that, and I probably will for the Cisco stuff, but for VCP you need to prove that you actually took the class before you can get the cert, don't you?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

The Third Man posted:

Passed my ICND1 this afternoon with a 912.

I'm almost positive one of the questions was incorrect, too, is there a mechanism for reporting stuff like this?

Congrats.

Probably best to not talk about anything specific that happened on a test that asked you to agree to an NDA before you took it.

As for reporting it, I think you'll find that the test wasn't wrong: The order that numbers go in in the real world is what's wrong. You just have to learn the Cisco Way™

Seriously though, I'm not sure. I've heard people talk about simulation errors that were present, and then present again when they re-certified. Doesn't seem like Cisco is that fussed about it.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Woot, finished my 640-822, and my first "real" IT cert. Will take 640-816 or whatever ICND2 is as soon as I have $150, because my finances are a joke. :v:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Congrats, Psydude!

Cowboy Bobs Hep C: it depends entirely on how much time you commit to it. I went from "I'm pretty sure I know what subnets are, and what they're for, and I also know the OSI layers (but not what order they go in)" to passing ICND1 and scheduling ICND2 all in about a 5 week period, but for two of those weeks I was in class for those tests all day, and I don't have kids or any of that to take up my time. Basically, you could bang it out in a few weeks, or it could take six months - neither one would be abnormal, I don't think.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Fatal posted:

This is actually a subtle but important part of any Cisco test (no idea on other vendors). I live in the greater Seattle area and if you've never scheduled a test you're in for a surprise on how long you might have to wait. I've had guys prep and get ready for a test and then go to schedule and find the earliest test slot is 3 weeks out.

That definitely varies by area, or maybe it's just for the higher level tests. I scheduled 640-822 the day before I took it, and there were plenty of slots open for the early afternoon.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I'm taking mine next time I have $150. I also would appreciate advice.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I think their description of it tells pretty much the whole story.

It seems like it's meant to make sure you understand virtualization as it applies to VMware at a high level, nothing more. It gives people a more approachable entry point into their certs, and when you're done with it you can probably have a discussion about virtualization and not sound like an idiot.

Sounds good for sales engineers and the like, as well.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Passed ICND2 with an 860, which is great, but I went into it feeling like I knew it cold, so I guess I have some more work today before continuing on. I think the new baby level VMware cert is my next target.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
All of Dilbert As gently caress's posts in this discussion can be summed us as "I think everyone should take pride in what they do." which is a completely reasonable but woefully naive thing to ask for.

Some people just don't give a poo poo about their job, and whatever hilariously minuscule pay they receive for teaching evening classes at community college is not going to change that.

E: Tiny amount of content.

Apparently work will buy me books, so a DESGN and SWITCH book are on their way to me.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I imagine that if he's 35 and applying for an entry level networking gig, they're going to ask what he did for the last 15 years, but as long as he has a good answer, it shouldn't have a negative impact. Best case scenario, he has experience with non-networking poo poo that the younger guys might not know.

Anecdotally, there are Linux L1s where I work who are anywhere from early 20s to mid 30s. Some of the (relatively) older admins started off doing something non-technical at this company, some don't care to put the effort in to level, and others switched from completely different careers. All 3 types can easily do their job as well as or better than anyone else, depending on other factors.

E: Promotion-wise, I imagine it's the same deal. Are there companies out there who are still looking for lifelong employees? I don't really think that's a thing that exists for this generation, especially not in IT. Were I hiring somebody, I'd hire for the employee they can be in 6 months - not the employee they can be in 10 years. Odds are, in 10 years they'll work somewhere else.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 18, 2013

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

How many of you are actually using Server 2012 on a daily-basis?

I use it for AD and hyper-v... in my home. :v:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Re: VCA. I think it's at least a start. It's nice that VMware are trying to create something to fill the space between "I've never heard of virtualization" and "I took a (potentially) $3000 class, and passed a reasonably challenging test on the ins and outs of VMware virtualization.

That said, it'd be nice if it were more like the CCENT, where by the time you take it you feel like you actually know a few things.

On the topic of how HR departments view it: There are already loads of certs that most people place little to no value on. This cert being bad doesn't devalue all certs. It's not hurting anything by existing, I just wish there were more to it.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Xik posted:

Hey cert thread, I need advice. I'm looking at junior network and linux admin roles at the moment. What will help me break in and give me some actual practical knowledge (as opposed to cram, get paper and forget)?

I went: Comptia A+ -> IT related Diploma -> IT related Degree and have been working full time in a support role for a bit, so getting past the HR screen shouldn't be that big of a problem. I've been going through CCENT/CCNA material at the moment and it seems like a good refresher from when I did network papers, is it worth it to continue on with that and take the exam? What about for Linux/Unix roles? Are the CompTIA or LPIC certs going to actually teach me anything that would be valuable in a real enterprise nix environment?

I'd like to do the Redhat certs but it looks like I can't do it in my country and would require going overseas to do it (no way).

LPIC certs are decent, but I don't think they're particularly well known. CCNA is generally respected and HR friendly. If you can't actually get the RHCSA/RHCE, it may still be worthwhile to pick up the Jang text and read through it - there's a lot of worthwhile material.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

routenull0 posted:

Why does the way Cisco does things have to be the only way?

It doesn't, but I think it's fair to say that the way Cisco does things is well known. Because of that, it's sensible to do things their way, unless there's a reason to do them a different way.

Basically, the way everybody knows is a very reasonable default. Straying from that just for the sake of being Not Cisco just forces people to learn more poo poo for no clear reason.

Cisco does plenty of stuff poorly, and those are things JunOS should strive to differentiate itself with.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

MrBigglesworth posted:

Anyone have the easy skinny on Cisco ACLs? My brain has shut the gently caress down and I am not making any sense of it in regards to how a wild card address interacts with an ip for a given situation. Finding the inverse mask or wildcard is easy. Applying it is causing my brain to GPF.

It helps to remember that the IPs are binary. 0 means match, 1 means don't care.

1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 implicitly matches everything. You can use the keyword any instead. No matter what the IP address is, this rule is going to say "Yup, that totally matches, go ahead."

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 explicitly matches one host. You can use the keyword host instead. This rule will compare every bit of the IP against the rule and if a single bit is off, it'll reject.

Say you want to set up an allow rule for all traffic from 192.168.0.0.

1100 0000 1010 1000 0000 0000 0000 0000 - network
0000 0000 0000 0000 1111 1111 1111 1111 - match

access-list 101 permit 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 any. Remember that if this was our only rule in access-list 101, everything else would fall through to the default deny.

Say we get an http request from IP 192.168.0.5:

1100 0000 1010 1000 0000 0000 0000 0000

We can disregard the final 16 bits, because they're going to match.

1100 0000 1010 1000: network
1100 0000 1010 1000: match
0000 0000 0000 0000: XOR

you'd compare the first 16 bits and see that they match, so it'd hit on that rule and the request would be allowed through that interface.

If the traffic had come from, say, 255.255.0.0 (screw you, I'm tired of binary)
1111 1111 1111 1111: network
1100 0000 1010 1000: match
0011 1111 0101 0111: XOR

As you can see, high order bits 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, and 16 all did not match, so this would not hit.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 30, 2013

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Sorry, I edited my post to explain that it does a binary XOR to test.

For your example. Let's use 192.168.25.5.

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 1111: match
1100 0000 1010 1000 0001 1001 0000 0000: network
1100 0000 1010 1000 0001 1001 0000 0101: host
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ----: XOR

Since all 28 bits that were important matched, this would allow.

Really the important thing is to view them in binary, not decimal. Decimal needlessly clouds the issue, because it makes matching 0.0.0.128 seem harder than matching 0.0.0.255, when it's not. You're just matching or not matching specific bits.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Finally getting around to taking my RHCSA and RHCE exams. Enjoy my money, RedHat.

RHCSA on Tuesday.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Desperately need them to do a BGP vid.

Not a convenient video, I grant, but if you want to know way too much about BGP, you can't go wrong with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Internet-Routing-Architectures-2nd-Edition/dp/157870233X

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Can't argue with that.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
The trainsignal videos I've watched are pretty nice, and it's $50/month. It also will include/does include pluralsight shortly, so that's cool I guess.

Also, passed my RHCSA. Only got a 250 though, which is kind of perplexing, because I triple checked everything. :shrug:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Tigren posted:

Congrats on the pass. I'm studying for the same test right now. Is it as straight forward as it's made out to be? Study the Jang book and I'll be good?

I've been off the internet for a spell, but three pretty much covered it. The Jang text is way more in-depth than the test requires, which is much better than the alternative. If you know the text, you will crush the test.

My advice for the actual test would be to read the instructions very carefully, and ensure that your changes persist through reboot.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

abigserve posted:

It's worth keeping in mind that Cisco has generally proved to be more flexible than Microsoft when it comes to developing new products

Cisco also excels at buying companies that make products that fill a hole in their current offerings.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Ugggh. Coming down to the last 45 days before my CCNA expires. CCNP ROUTE just went from "study at your own pace" to "do this poo poo in a month" :smith:

Though to be fair I am probably more than ready. I've been studying it off and on for three years, I just haven't had the drive to get up and do it because of other things.

CCDA is one you can probably knock out in a week of studying, and it will refresh your CCNA, if you don't feel like doing ROUTE under a time crunch.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

LochNessMonster posted:

Has anyone taken the Ansible exam from RH and can recommend study material?

Same as any other red hat exam—just read the course outline and know those things. If you have used Ansible in production like, at all, it's probably going to seem super basic.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I have to get project+ as part of WGU's BSCS program and it actually makes me want to kill myself.

Are there any tech organizations that actually do project management this way? I have worked with like 5 different project managers at several different companies and like 95% of this is just complete nonsense.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Hooray, I can now purge all knowledge of project+ from my brain. time for discrete math 2, an actual useful thing.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

siggy2021 posted:

Anyone who did CompTIA Cloud Essentials through WGU/UCertify, are the UCertify practice tests like way harder than the real thing or am I completely boned tomorrow and destined to be the first person my program mentor has seen fail it? Everyone talks about how dumb and easy it is, but after a bunch of studying I"m just bombing these stupid tests.

Not a direct answer to your question, but I found the ucertify project+ stuff to be harder than the real test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I don't really care about certs, but I think gutting associate level is a good idea, because it discourages people from just collecting associate certs that aren't actually meaningfully different. For career advancement the best path is almost certainly to get CCNA and then get a professional level cert, not start getting other associate level certs, so now that is the only option available to you.