Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Hey! I've been working myself up at my MSP for four years (stared at helpdesk 1) and I'm finally looking to grab some CompTIA certifications before I apply elsewhere. I powered through the Professor Messer YouTube series on Network+ while taking copious amounts of notes, and now I'm taking practice tests from a guidebook. How prepared do you guys think that would make me to take the exam, and are there any particular areas that stuck out to you as needing additional focus?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Huh, thanks. So it's mostly common sense stuff, a few gotcha type questions and then some rote memorization with regard to port numbers and cable runs?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

xThrasheRx posted:

Still wondering about this! Any last help before I take the test? :)

I’m cramming for the test too, although my exam compass scores are slightly lower!

I’ve been working on my port numbers a lot, I assume that’ll be important.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I cant think of any other free practice tests out there but dont sweat it to much. I took it a few years back and its the standard CompTIA garbage. Memorize some hash and encryption types, know the difference between attack types and then just use common sense.

Are there typically any simulations, or is it really mostly just regurgitation?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
How different/more complex is the actual Security+ exam compared to examconpass and the Darril Gibson app?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I paid for Gibson's GetCeritifedGetAhead premium stuff and found his practice exams to match pretty spot on to the actual test.

I paid $10 for the eBook on Amazon and like $40 for all his practice tests and study guide stuff.

Thanks!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I passed SY0-501! The Darril Gibson material really helped me, thanks for the recommendations.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

xThrasheRx posted:

Good going! What was the score?

788 (a passing score is 750). The actual test was fairly different from the training material, with a fair number of questions being bullshit “gotchas”, seeming trick questions and hair splitting (so basically a normal CompTIA exam).

The Gibson books saved me because a fair number of the test questions were lifted straight from his practice test banks.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Hey guys! To continue the Microsoft chat, my new employer requires me to obtain a Microsoft cert within the first six months of my employment. It’s for a Tier II helpdesk role, and I’d like to get a relevant cert or module as quickly as possible to show them I mean business.

I’m not sure how Microsoft certifications work, I’ve only ever obtained Sec+... it seems like a lot of their programs have changed. It seems like MCP doesn’t exist anymore, what might you guys recommend for learning AD stuff?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Hey guys! I asked about Microsoft certifications a few weeks ago, and you have some helpful answers, but I’m still a bit confused.

Since Microsoft is retiring most of their stable of certifications this year, my company has told me that I can satisfy their requirement for a new employee to earn a certificate with “The MTA certification” or one of the MCSE modules.

MTA is a series of certifications, and each test is an MTA certification, correct? A few of them actually seem relevant to me.

As for MCSE, I’m still a little fuzzy on what is being retired, and what is new/current.

How long would it take to study for one of these modules? Some of the MTA modules seem pretty basic, while what I’ve read about MCSE seems intermediate. I’ve only taken a CompTIA Security+, which was about three months of tedious buzzword memorizing, and I assume it’ll be like that.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
My contract requires us to obtain an MCP, but since those aren't available, they're allowing us to use one of the new MMDA certs (MD-100) as a substitute.

I read through the whole book twice, and felt like I knew the material pretty well... But when I started using the practice tests on CBT Nuggets, I realized I actually don't know powershell very well, be or the specific GPO trees they want you to memorize. This is going to a much harder test than I expected, and I'm trying to start by learning the Po wershell and CMD Line commands.

The MS website has thousands of PS commands listed in a very unhelpful database. Does anyone know where I could find what commands I actually need to know for MD-100?

As an aside, I'm noticing tons of federal contracts that want four year degrees and an MCSA to do deskside support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Yeah, for government IT jobs everything seems like it needs a four year degree now. Even our Tier 1 contract call center required new hires to have a bachelors. They really do enforce it, they always have trouble staffing those awful positions because the government demands a degree.