Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
How accurate is Mike Meyer's simulation exam? I've taken it a few times and normally hit 80-85% answers, but I'm noticing I'm hitting the same questions over and over, and it's no longer any good for me to use as I basically know the answers to those specific questions. I'm kind of afraid to drop the money on the A+ exam just to fail it.

Is it harder/the same? I have to brush back up on my laser printers and my monitor screen sizes if his exam is any indication of what I have to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Corvettefisher posted:

Don't study the sim exam study the book and the material.

I'm not, but I'm trying to use it to gauge my ability to take the exam. But that purpose is waning because the questions aren't very varied. That's why I'm asking to see if I'm ready for this stupid exam or not.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Are there any good websites that will give some homework-type problems to practice on? Right now I'm shooting for the Net+, and I learn better by actually doing problems.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Are there any good places to get practice with subnetting? Maybe have the question then have the answer worked through? I kind of get subnetting, but I need to practice it so I can get good.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Jelmylicious posted:

This doesn't give you a step by step, but it will give you endless randomised subnetting questions : http://subnettingquestions.com

Perfect! It's not the step by step I need (I can reference notes), but the practice. I'll learn to do it the hard way before doing cheat sheets. I just need to do it over and over until I get good.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

UserErr0r posted:

I could use some advice, if this thread is the appropriate place:

My A+ and Security+ expire this May. They're my only two certifications. I have little to no professional experience (just two part time tech support jobs) and I don't have my BS in IT yet (just my AAS in IS&T). So I don't have much marketability going for me yet.

I'm having difficulty finding a job as-is. I figure that losing my two certifications will make me a little less hirable (unless it's okay to leave recently-expired certifications on a resume to show I was once knowledgeable to gain those certifications) for entry level jobs.

I also have very little money right now. Housing and food is fine, but beyond that I'm broke. Is it worth spending what little I've got to re-certify as Security+ or instead work on earning the Network+ (I assume either will renew my A+ automatically) if I do it before May), or should I just quit worrying about my certifications and let them expire (and maybe go back to them when I find a job)?

I know the A+ is rather worthless for anything but entry level jobs, but that's where I'm stuck at for the moment, and I have seen it listed as a requirement on job postings a few times already.

http://certification.comptia.org/stayCertified.aspx

That's CompTIA's renewal policies. A lot of the higher level stuff will renew the lower level stuff automatically.

This is a list of "other" certifications and their CE values for various CompTIA certs. If you recert as a Sec+ it will renew your A+ (And your Net+ if you had one), but the Net+ will not renew the Sec+ (But will renew the A+). It may be better to get the Net+ for now and use the Sec+ to renew the Net+ later on down the line.

e: and the way CompTIA works, you only renew the "highest" level certification, and everything below it automatically renews as well.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 9, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

UserErr0r posted:

I should clarify: I'm just in need of opinions on whether or not it's worth renewing (or getting new) certifications when there's not much money on hand at the moment.

IF you're looking into a job into those fields, yes. Renew your Net+ (Go get it, so you have 3) and put your Sec+ on your resume as well, if they ask, just say it went out, and you're going to renew it next, you just wanted to add another certification on top of it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
How hard am I underestimating the Net+ exam? I'm going to work on memorizing OSI (Physcial, Network, something something something application :v:) most of the ports and their functions (And whether they should be UDP/TCP), and brush up on my subnetting again. I found the A+ a breeze and had no issues with it and passed it quite easily. Am I underestimating the Net+? Is there anything else I should be look to focus on before I drop the cash (and before they update to pushing IPv6 harder)?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Drewcifer913 posted:

So, Im a recent college graduate, and I'm looking to start IT work. I didn't major in comp sci, but I minored in bioinformatics which included courses in java, vb, c#, and sql. Does anyone think, with my lack of professional experience, that the A+ and N+ certs will overcome my lack of experience, or would it just be a waste of money?

I think the question is "What do you want to do"?

IT is an incredibly broad range of job types. If you can code with your Java, VB, c# and SQL, you might try dev work, you normally have to prove you can code, and I don't think there are really any certifications that cover that. If you want to do Network Admin, the A+, N+ and MSCE will go a long ways, if you want to do networking, you probably want to head toward CCNAs as a start. there's more options and loads of certifications, it all depends on what you want to do.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The IT Certification Megathread: Just lie about having the certs if you feel like it

I guy I knew did that after getting out of the Navy. "I Had my CCNA but it let it lapse". He refused offers to pay to take his CCNA (He has to pay for up front and he would be reimbursed if he passed). He's now at a community college for "Network Engineering Technology" and "Cyber Security"

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there a good way to get a discounted voucher for the Net+? I'm pretty much ready to take it, but my employer isn't doing reimbursement at all, and it is going to be hard to drop $300 on the test right now. If I can get it around $200 I'd probably go ahead and get it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So what you guys are saying is to get off my loving rear end and take the Net+ N005 while it's still available.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Woo, got my Net+ today, barely passed (771, 720 to pass). Now it's time to think about my specialization. I'll probably just hold off on Sec+ until my current is about to expire unless my job demands it. Might look at CCNA next, got the server and the VM all ready to go for a virtual lab. Fun times ahead!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Race Realists posted:

Many congrats. I'm studying myself (off and on, admittedly :smith:). What materials did you use?

Anyway, I'm finding subnetting getting just a little bit easier, especially with the CIDR notation

Summarizing subnets is time consuming as gently caress though

Professer Messer and Mike Meyer's Net+ book.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

How much submitting did you get on the Net+ exam? That's one of the things I need to work on. I can do it all by hand if needed, its just... yeah really time consuming.

There is very little actual subnetting. I think I had two total questions on subnetting. I spent a decent amount of time working on it and getting the binary math down, but in the end it wasn't that important. Know your command line stuff (I had a bunch of simulations), know OSI and TCP/IP Model (I concentrated too hard on OSI and ignored TCP/IP).

HOWEVER, some of that is about to change, I took the N10-005, and it retires on the 31st (That's why I rushed to take it), and I've heard rumors that there are some really off the wall things in the 006, not just IPv6.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Zeratanis posted:

Speaking of Network+. Passed it! :toot: Sure it isn't CCENT but it still feels nice to pass an exam like that.

Congrats N+ buddy. I wanna do CCENT next, but it's gonna be rough I think for me, I have jack poo poo for experience.

Speaking of, is there any good training material that isn't too terribly expensive?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

stuntwaffle posted:

This may have been answered here already - any word on when the A+ 901/902 is going to be released? I'm studying like a madman and don't want my efforts to go to waste if it's coming soon.

Last I looked (In august) It said "soon" which probably means next year. They haven't given an expiration on the 800 series, and they usually give a substantial amount of time to take the test (6 months to a year) from what I've seen.

Comptia has started a 3 year test cycle, so it'll probably be valid until next year as the 700 series expired in 2013.

As for your question, the guides are already out, and I think it comes out sometime late this year (November I heard somewhere?).

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 2, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Didn't that stupid A+ book still go over poo poo like IRQ numbers? Or have they finally updated it to not tell you poo poo you don't need to care about anymore.

800 dropped IRQ/DMA.

If you have troubleshooting experience, biggest thing you need to know is the CompTIA way on troubleshooting (Look at the problem, talk about it, talk some more, document your talking, talk about the documentation, think about researching, research, document the research, talk about the documentation of the research, think about applying it.... :suicide:) and know a lot of acronyms and what they mean, and if you want to get frisky, memorize all the pins on RAM chips (gently caress that). Know your basic command line stuff (Meyers covers it all), and that's about it. The rest was a cakewalk.

I never once "passed" the Meyers test that came with the A+ book, and nailed the poo poo out of the actual exam.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Am I going to need my lab for the ICDN1? It seems to be more general knowledge focused. I've got a bit before I can get my switch in for my lab, and I"m reading Odom's book for the ICDN1.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Singh Long posted:

So I'm planning on going for the Network+ cert. Anyone know which study guide I should get for the N10-006?

I used Mike Meyers for both A+ and Net+. If you want free, Professor Messer is pretty good, he has online video tutorials. Went well with the book I bought.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Ashley Madison posted:

My workmate just passed her CCIE routing and switching lab. She had to drive from Toronto to North Carolina to do it. 8 hours?! :aaaaa:

I'm so glad I'm an hour and a half from the NC testing site.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there any good resource to test knowledge on the OSI model? I kind of still get crosseyed and look at it wrong, or will I get better at it as I go through Lamelle's book for CCNA?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

It took me forever to remember the encapsulation order...

bit > frame > packet > segment

I've got the order down pretty well now, (Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away is pretty much what I use). It's more of what happens on each layer, and the encapsulation order. I'm getting better with it, just wanna make sure It's good and ingrained as I move forward, much like I'm going to stop on subnetting again and make sure I have it really well. Not sure if Lamelle goes over the alternate subnetting methods, but I'll cross that hurdle when I get there.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

oaok posted:

I'm gearing up to take my 801 A+ exam in the next month or two. Any thing I should really nail down? I have the majority of the information memorized, just worrying about some curveballs that they didn't include in the objective list.

There's nothing really difficult about the A+. Know what a computer is, know CompTIA's steps for troubleshooting (IE: poo poo that never gets used). Knowing RAM and CPU sockets is a pretty good idea too, but I didn't memorize any of that poo poo and passed without any trouble.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

hitachi posted:

Did you guys check out Lammle's book as well? That is the one recommended in the OP, just curious if you had seen both and preferred Odom's. I am gonna purchase one here soon and try to take the test next month.

I'm currently reading Lammle's book for the CCNA. It's a lot less dry than Odom's book, and seems to be covering stuff well. It has labs too, though I don't think they're quite as nice as odom's.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I am studying for my CCENT right now, and have a question about subneetting form.

Is it considered 'bad form' to write down basic subnetting info each time, or should I have it memorized (Which will come as I continue to use it?)

Example:

code:
  A   B   C  
 /9  /17 /25  1         128  2/126
 /8  /18 /26  11        192  4/62
 /15 /23      1111111   254  128/0
 /16 /24      11111111  255  254

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So, with the way the CE credits work, I know if you get a "higher level" cert for CompTIA, it will re up the ones below it (A+, Net+ Sec+, something at the end). A question came up with a coworker, if you take, say, your Sec+ and your Net/A+ has lapsed, does it renew those, or do you have to retake those cert exams?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Yeah, my certs are good for another 2 years,. When my N+ comes due, I'll probably renew with Sec+ (Even though I should have my CCNA by then, kind of dumb to pay fees). At some point I'm just going to let my CompTIA certs lapse, probably after my Sec+. However, a coworker's N+ is running out in March or so. Might see if I can get him to rush study the Sec+ to renew, save him a bit of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
72.6, laying with both forearms laying on my table, standard asdf space space jkl; and poor posture, with a keyboard that likes to not register spaces. I need a less lovely keyboard.

However, I never use my right shift key. If I need to shift A, Q, or Z, I will shift with my pinky and move my ring finger over to use those keys.