Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
When it comes to the 100-101, I can say the Lammle book is definitely a good read. I'm up to the chapter on ACL and it's all been really easy to follow. Granted I couldn't tell you how it compares to his old CCNA book.

Speaking of authors and books, is the Michael Meyers All-in-One still the go to for A+? I really got to knock that one out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

After putting it off for so many months, I decided to buckle down and schedule both my A+ exams for a month away. I know they're supposed to be easy exams but boy knowing there's still about $350 on the line has me all nervous. :ohdear: Month should be plenty of time though, right? Current study material is the Michael Meyers book. Also, any decent practice test or are the questions in the book(or off Professor Messer's site) good enough?

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

For those who are looking for their CCENT/CCNA and don't wanna (or can't) shell out the money for something like CBT Nuggets, the guy who ran the CCNA Course kickstarter ages ago has been releasing his videos finally. This will eventually include CCNA: Security and CCNP eventually it looks like, which is pretty cool.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

ZergFluid posted:

Todd Lammle says that the new CCENT is harder than the old CCNA. Is he exaggerating?

It's...beefier I wanna say? I mean it has ACLs and IPv6(along with OSPFv3), VLSM and NAT, but you also won't find RIP on it IIRC. There's no STP, EGIRP, or WAN stuff on it since that's more CCNA territory, so it's probably easier for that fact alone. I'd say he's exaggerating a little bit, since it's really just needing to know more compared to the old CCENT.

But who knows, maybe I'm wrong? I'm still on the ACL chapter myself on CCENT and nothing has come off as extremely difficult.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Is there a good, nice fat juicy repository of free CCENT/CCNA labs that can be readily done in Packet Tracer? I've been slacking off my studies for too long and I need to at least keep the knowledge up to snuff even if I don't plan to test for awhile.

Also what's a good way to get motivated to actually study for A+ so I don't keep pushing it back month after month? :smith: Guess it doesn't help I can't haven't been able to afford my safari sub for a few months thus don't have access to the book I was reading anymore.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

You'd think so. I first scheduled my A+ exams back in March and kept pushing them back a month at a time because I keep getting spooked last minute. :shepface: Doesn't help things distract me too...

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Well, the things distracting me thing is mainly personal issues keeping me from reading the study material...also things like other books. :shobon: But yeah, I am over thinking it and need to take it. My friend has been on my rear end about it too. Just that fear of losing like $350 and not having the money to retake it that gets me...

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Passed the A+ 801 exam after loving around so long. :toot: That was definitely...easier than I thought it'd be, given as I was panicking about it so long. Only took me reading the entirety of the Mike Meyer's book in 2 weeks and watching all the professor Messer videos, and I probably didn't even need to read all of the book.

I feel pretty good about doing the 802, but I'm definitely gonna give myself a little extra time so I don't frustrate myself cramming.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

I'm an extremely lovely test taker too and I managed to pass 806/900 on the 801. You should be fine as long as you at least read over any material at least once. :)

Can't say anything on it being easier/harder than 802 though since I've yet to take mine. Someone else can probably say though.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Passed my A+ 802. :woop: Finally done with that dull poo poo. Now to go back to studying networking and update my resume...when I find the effort.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Anyone ever gotten their Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT)?

My boss is interested in making our department an Apple Self-Servicing Account and it looks like you need an ACMT on-staff to get any parts beyond keyboards and memory. I'm not really dying to be Apple certified but it wouldn't hurt, and they'd pay for everything.

Edit: Okay this is actually already making me twitch:

AMCT is quite easy and isn't even proctored, if memory serves me right. My friend who had to get it for work constantly mocks it and its sub-certs.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

ZergFluid posted:

Man oh man is Comptia "Project+" material is so dull. :negative:

(Necessary for WGU class.)

Hey I'm starting there myself soon. :haw:

Though hearing Project+ being dull is troubling...

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

I'm currently enrolled in WGU (started 1st of the month) and I'm quite enjoying all the resources they give you. Granted I looked at all my coursework in detail(as someone who started with only A+) and I suddenly felt a wee bit overwhelmed as someone who thought they might be able to knock it out in 3 years. :ohdear: I feel that's not gonna be realistic especially when I decide to actually look for a job once I get Net+ from the first semester.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

ed: I can't believe I am memorizing IRQ bullshit right now

Lemme save you some time. There is NOTHING on IRQs in the current A+ exams(801 and 802). Don't bother studying anything that miiiight have seen common use before Windows XP.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 29, 2015

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

What's the go-to book for Network+ these days? School suggest using this one. I got labsim but I figured reading through a book might help too and would like one that won't make me wanna stab my own eyes. Is Lammle as good there as he is in CCENT/CCNA?

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Ahdinko posted:

Application
Presentation
Session
Transport
Network
Datalink
Physical

American Pussy Seems To Need Deeper Penetration has always worked for me (99% of the time you will never go above layer 5 in the networking world anyway, and even going above 4 isnt common)

Princess Diana Never Thought She'd Pound Asphalt is what helped me memorize it. :v:

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Seeing the talk on the N10-006 uCertify stuff for WGU makes me glad I decided to stay with N10-005 material. Labsim can be dumb sometimes but it's still cool for what it offers The dumbest thing is the big practice exam there requires a 95% score.

Hoping to take it soon, and hoping the exam itself doesn't gently caress me with some stuff...

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Speaking of Network+. Passed it! :toot: Sure it isn't CCENT but it still feels nice to pass an exam like that.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Race Realists posted:

006 or 005?

Eitherway congrats

005. My WGU work started on 005 before they announced the end of life for it so I stuck with it rather than jump to the new stuff. Also, got 813/900 which I'm told is a good score. :woop:

Also thanks all~ I'm a nervous test taker so I'm always happy to pass something.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

I passed my Security+! :peanut: Really happy since I was convinced I was gonna fail it about half way through due to how lovely the wording was on a lot of the questions.

Up next CCENT! This one I already have a lot of experience with thankfully so I can hopefully knock it out in a month.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

ZteleME posted:

gently caress...I don't do well when questions are vague. Im taking Sec+ in a couple days what did you use to study?

Darill Gibson book with professor Messer to fill in any blanks as I got close to the date. I wanna say know your ports but the amount of material I got involving ports was very...small. Your test might be very different from mine though. I will say definitely know your cryptography inside and out though, since that was the subject that threw me off the most on the exam itself.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

crunk dork posted:

not really a cert but i finished my BS 6 months earlier than planned through WGU today, 36 credits this term with a full time job and kid :shepface:

Grats! Though this makes me feel extremely lovely about myself since all I've done this semester...was my Security+. :negative: Real life has been kicking my rear end so hard I haven't done poo poo since, and it took far longer to get the Security+ because of it...

Ah well...since CCENT is supposed to be on my current agenda I'll just knock both that and CCNA in one go next semester and be covered for required credits and squeeze in what I can after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

I actually had a far worse score for A+ part 2 than I did 1. :shobon: Dunno what went wrong. Net+ I had a pretty decent score IIRC and Sec+ was alright just because I focused on one thing far more than the others and ended up getting more questions for the parts I neglected. Funny how that works. :v:

Now I'm studying for CCENT and looking to take it in 2 weeks. Boy I feel I'll get a lot of questions for ACLs and NAT, my two weakest subjects.