Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Anyone know of any way to get a discount on testing fees? $400 for just the A+ seems a little steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Any of you guys have any tips for planning a study schedule? Trying to study for the A+ and I can't really find time.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I've been working as T1 Help Desk for the better part of the past 3 years, would I be better off getting the N+ or the CCNA? I'm assuming A+ wouldn't be a good fit for me.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Grassy Knowles posted:

Phishing, smishing, vishing, mishing, what other forms of 'phishing + communications technology' are on the new Sec+?

Are these methods used to gain access to company information, or deviant sex acts?

Whitefishing, where hackers get access to your network by sending a racist email chain to angry white men at your company.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'd like to do so well on a cert test that I become a nurse - that'd be a hell of a cert. Reminds me of VMware's short lived VCAP Design/ACE Certified Mechanic program.

Go in for the CCNA, walk out a Certified Nursing Assistant.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sorry to :toot: my own horn, but just got done passing my PMP (first try, but a helluva lot longer than I expected just because it really is the most uninteresting poo poo on the planet.)

Holy hell, what a drat relief. Haven't been this mentally exhausted or felt so much joy in years.

How does one go about getting a PMP cert? I looked into it, and it seemed really complicated. 30,000 hours of project management experience?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Garrand posted:

Are there any reputable voucher resalers or anything? I've heard of getting vouchers for cheaper because they are near expiration and I'm looking to take my ICND1 soon but money's tight so it would be nice if I could get some discount to it. I just don't know if those exist for the cisco exams.

http://getcertified4less.com/ is a pretty reputable one, but i'm not sure if they have ICND1.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I got to chat with Mike Meyers today and was kind of star struck! Is that weird?

No, I would be too! He was great in Austin Powers!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Just registered for the Security+. July 9th.

Anything to it besides Professor Messer and reading the Mike Myers book?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Space Racist posted:

I found the 'Security+ Practice Exams' book by Daniel Lachance and Glen Clarke to be very useful (in addition to the two you listed above). The questions are slightly easier than the real thing, but overall very close.

I'll have to check that out, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Getting a dead link for me