Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Hello!

I have recently stepped sideways into networking due to some unforseen staffing changes. I am primarily a linux admin/VMWare etc etc. I have been tasked with completing the two new CCNA course exams:

ICND1-100-101
ICND2-200-101

Worthy of note is that I have two months to complete them. Ive somehow managed to avoid any serious networking stuff for quite a while save for some mikrotik delployments and NAT related work, oh and some IPSec configurations. Also worthy of note will this actually be my first time studying since high school (I am now 25, as you might imagine high school was quite some time ago).

My current plan of action:

Nuggets subscription: Purchased and already moving through the content
Purchased the updated pressbooks, I am 3 chapters in.

Im thinking of paying for access to the Cisco labs that correspond to each exam. At the moment I am writing down what I can and making a LOT of use of flash cards for remember key information. As well as purchasing the labs I am considering grabbing the full version of the simulation software and seeing what labs I can grab for that.

I guess I am going in circles, seeing as this will be the first certification I have actually studied for could anyone offer further advice, I have been google study methods etc like crazy which is where I got the idea for flash cards from. General tips on the best methods to absorb as much as I can about this stuff would be appreciated.

At the moment I do a chapter a night and try to compare it to a nuggets video. I write down important notes and transfer the key points to flash cards. I review the flash cards a number of times throughout the day, when I can wake up the next day and correctly answer a flash card it moves to the three day pile, than the weekly pile etc. Its early days but it seems to be going ok.

*edit*

In case its not obvious I am slightly nervous as I have never even attempted a certification and the pressure in this case has bene put on me to complete it quite rapidly. I understand to many of you that such a "basic" certification causing such grief might seem a bit funny, hopefully in 6 months I can look back and think the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

NippleFloss posted:

Get your hands on the simulator software however you can. If you aren't working on Cisco gear with some frequency you'll have a hard time passing the CCNA just reading a book. You really need to spend time on the CLI working through problems and trying different things out. The simulator is immeasurably helpful in helping the material stick. Don't sweat it though, the material really isn't that hard, though it does cover a pretty wide swath. Just get a good book, and a simulator, and spend a little time every day for a couple of weeks reading material and doing labs, and playing around on your own to see how things behave and to get the hang of running the commands without reading them out of a book.

Thank you very much. Is there a specific version I should be looking for? The press books recommend the software from pearson and in fact includes a trial with a small amount of labs and stated that I could visit the website for the full version. Their software does not appear to be updated yet and only covers the older exams.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Those exams will set you up with a lot of knowledge which will benefit your career and your paycheck. But man, two months? That's cert dump territory. You're going to cram knowledge in as quick as you can get it and retain very little. That's really unfortunate.

And honestly, I wouldn't consider that a "basic" certification at all, to address your last paragraph. I'll never disparage anyone's efforts, but 95% of the posts in this thread are some variant of "I'm thinking of an A+/net+", you're skipping right over that. I won't say 6 figures, but a CCNA is Very Employable. There's absolutely nothing to scoff at there.

You have the Nuggets subscription, that's good, Jeremy Cioara (sp) is highly regarded.

Yeah, it came about because a position nobody thought would go for some time upped and left the company. They have been left in the position of needing a junior to train under the now senior network engineer. They need someone already familiar with our existing setup and as I have been here for seven years that turns out to be me. I myself am worried that two months is not enough, I have told my employer I will give it a best effort but I will no take short cuts that ensure I pass an exam but miss out on applicable knowledge. I will not work on systems I am not confident with for a multitude of reasons. I was kind of hoping to see a post along this nature because its kind of how I felt.

I had previously been authorised to take the CCNA while I had no dealing with routers, I asked my direct manager if once I achieved it I would be able to work hands on and was informed "there is no chance of that, we do not need anyone else" so I failed to chase the certification under the assumption that were I not actually working with the hardware/software I would eventually lose the skillset.

In regards to difficulty it is odd, my old boss (the one leaving) has been pressuring me and demanding I do it as soon as possible because its "easy" while others have made the same suggestion you have.

Its a bit stressful to be honest but I am just doing my best to ease into it and hopefully soak up as much as I can.

quote:

Your study habits deserve commendation. Between that and your jumping right to the CCNA in two months, I'd say there's a fair chance we're all working for you some day.

My habits have come about due to a lack of any understanding of HOW to study ironically. I was a high school dropout who was incredibly unfocused, I left because my inability to focus on my education was having an effect on other students. Dropped out and took a support position and marched my way up through the ranks. I have done fairly ok for myself but have been left with some major gaps when it comes to things like "knowing" how to study and effectively retain that knowledge. I have for the most part came to the assumption that revision and tons of practical experience should assist.

insidius fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 2, 2013

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

NippleFloss posted:

I used the Boson NetSim software and it worked well for me.

Cheers. Looks like I am going to have to use this for now and find custom setups or something to hit the stuff introduced in the new line of exams. Nothing is yet updated for the revised versions and its looking like october at the earliest which will be too late.

Thats fairly annoying.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

You have until September 30th to take the old exams, fyi.

You know what, luckily I bought the books for the first edition by mistake. I am just going to use that one to study and at the very least get it done before cut over and just take the second if I have too. Might as well cause I picked up a simulator based on that one as well.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I have not completed nor am I near completing my CCNA as my employer wanted by October. After some posts in this thread I decided to slow my pace regardless of what my employer wanted as I actually want to LEARN the content, not just cram a bunch of crap in.

Anyhow I am lucky in that I have the ability to be already operating on the devices in production which along with my labs is assisting me greatly. At the moment most of my work revolves around ACL's and VLAN's but its fun enough for the most part and keeps me hands on. If I am unfamiliar with anything I am able to to cast an eye over the production configuration, test concepts in my lab etc. Having access to that wealth of information has been great.

Another resource which I have been making use of is the Nuggets CCNA courses. Jeremy does some great work in my opinion and the Nuggets team themselves have gone to some pretty impressive lengths to assist with the process. Asking for feedback, providing feedback, providing assistance on study methods etc. Worth a look for anyone going down that path I think.

The point anyway is that studying for this certification has relit my interest in IT. While my career for the most part has gone from strength to strength I had found over the last 18 months that my will to come home and play around with technology had died off severely. I am having such a great time with all my new lab gear and simulators etc that I actually find myself sitting at and thinking *Man I cant wait to go home and test out new concept X in my lab* as opposed to *Man I cant wait to get home and sleep*.

Who knew the benefits to certification would start well before I actually achieved it.