Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I just finished my CNA150 class before the holidays. I have about 11 days to study for CCENT exam. Whats the best way to study with that much time? I was thinking of getting the Lammle book and using the 7 day free trial of CBT Nuggets. Is that too much material for 11 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone take the CCENT exam recently? Did it have many questions involving ACLs and NAT?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Does anyone know a good CCENT (ICND 100-101) practice test online? I have my exam scheduled for this Sunday and I really want to make sure I pass it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I passed the ICND 1 recently now Im preparing for the ICND 2 I have about 2 months to study. I could use a recommendation for a good study book. Does anyone know if this one is good? http://amzn.com/1118789709 its from 2013 I hope that doesnt matter too much.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I have full Cisco test lab with a bunch of routers and switches. But I need something that can simulate workstations. Does anyone know a device that can send and receive pings, has configurable IP settings (IP address, subnet, gateway) and is cheap because I'm going to need around 10. Im not having much luck finding anything by Googling it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

crunk dork posted:

Routers in GNS3 with no ip route command, loopback interface configured on the PC running it, and then hook the dumb routers to the cloud device in GNS3 after assigning it the loopback interface you created. That would work right?

Im not sure I understand what youre saying. Im not using GS3, I mean I have a test lab made of real equipment. Thats why Im having a hard time figuring out how to simulate workstations since I dont have a bunch of computers to hook up to it. I could get some raspberry pis but that would be pretty expensive if I got 5+ of them.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I took my CCNA classes at a local community college recently. The Cisco academy packet tracer labs were a great learning resource, but one thing that bothered me is they seem to be very lacking in troubleshooting. Its mostly theory and configuration of various protocols but not much in the way of how to diagnosis and repair of common network issues that are seen in the real world. So do anyone know of any resource that can help in this area? Maybe like some third party packet tracer labs that have configuration errors that need to be fixed or something else that would be good for training? Thanks.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

40 OZ posted:

I just passed Network+. I'm in Austin, TX, and I work a bad manual labor job. I have an AA. I have been the pseudo-IT guy at most office jobs I've worked but it was never my primary function.

Are there jobs I can reasonably get with just the Net+ cert?

I'm immediately starting on CCNA, but it would be alot easier if I could get out of digging ditches in the meantime. (I'm assuming I could get a job with CCNA, is that correct?)

Im pretty sure you could get some tech support jobs with a Net+. They wont be great tech support jobs, think like your local cable company or DSL provider telling old ladies how to connect to their wifi router that kind of thing. Hell I had a job like that a long time ago and I didnt even have a Net+.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I have to get a Juniper JCNIA cert for work. Whats the best way for me to mess around with the CLI? I really learn best when I can actually poke around in an interface and do config changes etc. Would the best thing for me to do be to get a cheap piece of used equipment? Something like a SRX 100, 110, or 210 something like that? Or are there any cheap or free simulator programs? I'm coming from the Cisco world so I'm curious if theres any kind of Juniper equivalent to Packet Tracer.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Can anyone recommend any good videos/books/whatever other study material for Juniper JCNIA certification for someone who already has a CCNA? I'm mainly looking for the major differences in the interfaces as I don't need concepts like subnetting explained again. I do a lot better with videos. Also I have just ordered a SRX 210 off Ebay so hopefully I can get some hands on time with JUNOS. It wont arrive for at least a week so does anyone know any way I can play with JUNOS until then?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Dumb question: My CCNA expires soon. If I get a CCNA Wireless Cert, will that renew my CCNA for another 3 years?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Hey folks I'm working on getting a CCNA Wireless cert. And I was wondering is there any WLC gui interface to play around with? Like a virtual WLC? I see that in the current version of Packet tracer it has a few WLCs but I haven't been able to figure out if they have a full gui or not.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Oyster posted:

I just got the CCENT. My original plan was to go for the CCNA immediately after, but the CCENT took a solid two months longer than I anticipated, and I'm not sure I can snag the CCNA without actually applying in the field. I have a Catalyst switch and a simple layer 2, but that probably won't cut it for what the CCNA entails.

I've been tossing around the idea of pursuing the Google certs, but is the CCENT worth anything on its own? I'm going to toss it on my resume and see if I can get out of printer tech world and into a job that actually uses the stuff, but in the meantime I'm torn between Google/dabbling in coding/finishing out the CCNA.

Edit: And thank all things holy for the ? command working on the test.

Just take the CCNA. If you already got the CCENT it won't be that much more difficult. You don't need a real lab for it, although it helps. I didn't have one. Do you have access to Cisco Packet Tracer? I think you need a Cisco academy profile to download and use it and I'm not sure if that's free but if you can get it it's a drat good replacement for a real lab.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Or get the goddamn usb to serial driver working

Or they think Ethernet cable = console cable. So they hook up the Ethernet side of their laptop to the console port of the router.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I just failed the CCNA Wireless exam. 820 out of 860 ugh. I mainly used the official Cisco Cert guide book and wow, it seemed like half the questions on the exam were things I NEVER saw covered in the book. I'm pretty amazed I got the score I did considering how many answers I had to guess. Does anyone know a better resource for studying for the exam than this book? I plan on taking it again next week.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

siggy2021 posted:

I've been studying for the CCNA security and thought I was making pretty decent progress, then I took a practice test from Boson and what the gently caress half this poo poo was never covered in anything I've studied.

This was my experience with the CCNA Wireless I just passed a few days ago. Holy hell I would not recommend that test to anyone that isn't already a wireless admin. So many curveball questions about things not covered in the official book. So many badly worded questions too.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Takkaryx posted:

I need some help figuring out what my plan ahead is. I worked for 5 years in a help desk while I was in college, prepping for going to medical school. After 3 years of trying to get in, it just isn't going to happen. Therefor, I'm looking at going into IT.

What I have:
5 years of T1 help desk experience (Ended in 2016, so kinda recently)
2 years supervising volunteers in a hospital (Ended a few months ago)
Masters, BA and BS in psychology and biology.
Ability to self-start and study for long stretches of time on theoretical concepts involving very little english and a ton of jargon (yay enzymatic pathways and signaling cascades)
2-5 hours a day to study
A long history of touching computers as a hobby ex. building my own and friends computers, go-to guy when friends and family computers break, and so on.
Very little serious business coding or network experience.

What I want to do:
From what I've done and what interests me, I'm thinking either security or Windows admin, with secondary interests of networking and maybe project management?

What I think I need:
I'm looking at N+ leading to Sec+, and branch to something Microsoft or network related, but I have no idea. Do I even need to get A+?

I live in the California bay area with friends who work in IT, so I have some contacts there. However, from what I can tell I need the certs to prove I'm worth a drat as I have no formal education on the subject, ironically just some work experience.

I feel like once I have an idea of what kind of path to take, I'll have no problems doing it, I just need that little bit of guidance to start the journey and ask the right questions.

Do you want to go into networking? Get a CCNA. If you want to go into a different field then I'm sure plenty of people here have suggestions for certs.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I've been looking on Pearson Vues website to see how many questions you need to get right to pass the Juniper JN0-103 exam but I can't find it. Does anyone know? Hopefully it's a lower percentage than what Cisco requires.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I have a bunch of cisco routers and switches for a ccnp lab. The problem is the only place I can keep them is in a room with no network connectivity. So I basically have 2 questions:

1: is there any kind of wireless or bluetooth console adaptor?

2: is there any kind of wireless bridge I can use for ethernet connectivity to the devices?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
On a Cisco test like a CCNA for questions that require two answers or drag and drop style questions do you get partial credit if you get some of it correct or do you only get credit if you get everything correct?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I took the Cisco ENSDWI 300-415 (SD-WAN) exam and failed it of course. The weird thing is, I didn't get a simple grade number at the end like in previous Cisco tests I've taken. Instead it gave me a breakdown of the 6 different skill areas and and a percentage number for each. So I'm not sure how exactly the overall grade is scored I was thinking maybe they average the score from the 6 areas but I think that would only work if you got the same amount of questions for each? And if that is the case then drat you could fail after only getting a few of the questions wrong.

Does anyone know how this works now?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Devorum posted:

Question: is going to school for IT worth it? I have the GI Bill burning a hole in my pocket, and am looking for a career change. Would I go for a CompSci degree, or is there something more suitable?

I went to community college to get my CCNA. Not even a degree program just a cert program. It literally changed my life.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I would argue the CCNA is not vendor tied, it is a solid foundation on network concepts that are applicable across the industry.

Yeah the CCNA is basically "Networking 101 with some Cisco specific stuff". Nowadays they even include basic wireless stuff in the CCNA which is nice. It's a good introduction to networking in general. Although I do think it was better like 7-8 years ago.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

wargames posted:

or gently caress networking and go AWS/cloud stuff. Higher growth area and easier to get into.

Networking is good to know if you're going to pursue cloud stuff. A CCNA is not a huge time commitment to get and totally worth it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
3 years ago I got a Juniper JNCIA-JUNOS cert. I used a 2nd hand Juniper I don't remember the model I think it was an SRX210 as sort of a lab to get a feel for the OS.

My cert expired but now my company wants me to get it again. I don't have that SRX anymore is that model still good for lab purposes? I'm guessing the exam has been updated since the last time I took it so maybe a 210 wouldn't cut it anymore? If not does anyone know what SRX I should get that won't cost and arm and a leg? 210s are pretty cheap.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Cyks posted:

Are you sure it was JNCIA? It’s a pretty entry level certification and while having hands on labbing is never a bad thing, it’s not a certification level that needs it.

The training videos on their site covered everything needed for the exam.

Yes it was the JCNIA and having an SRX absolutely helped me a lot. I'm just the type that learns better when I can go hands on with an CLI. Especially since we don't use Juniper at all where I work. And SRX210s can be purchased pretty cheap on eBay. I'm just not sure if the exam has changed in the last 3 years and a 210 might not have the right features for it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

If your company wants you to get, tell them you need a lab switch for practise. If they need someone with the cert, let them provide the study materials.

I'm sure they would reimburse me. I'm just curious if a SRX210 is still a good device to use for practice or if I need to get something newer because I don't know how much (if at all) the JCNIA has changed in the last 3 years.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Rudager posted:

Man I love doing a remote proctored CCNP level exam, having the whole thing crash mid way through doing a lab exercise and then having to sit there watching the clock tick down while the proctor goes to get technical help, gets it relaunched so I can spend another minute double checking the config is how I left it and keep going

Lost at least loving 12-15 minutes and all the while my requests for help about wether I can get the clock paused or time added went completely ignored.

I passed still by some miracle…. But definitely one of the most stressful things I’ve had to deal with.

While the few times I did an online proctored IT exam went smooth I've heard enough horror stories just like this to never do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I'm confused about Cisco CE credits. Can they only be used to recertify an cert you already have? Or can they be used to earn a new cert?