Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess
Hey everyone I could use some advice. I’m a grad of a 2 year IT program at a local collage and have the Security+ cert and I’m currently looking for work. My question is should I double back and get the network + and\or A+? Or move on to tougher security related certs as that is my career goal. I also have about 2-3 years IT experience in a small business.

Also if anyone has questions about the newish syo-401 I’d be happy to answer them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess
Ya CCNA does sound like a good idea. My school said that they covered about 80% of the content in the first year shouldn't be too rough. My plan is to start the OCSP class next month because my school will pay for it. I'll try and take the CCNA in the next two weeks.

My end goal is something like a penetration tester but even with the certs it will still be a few years before that will happen.

I'll probably take the CISSP down the road but I'll wait until I'm a little closer to the 5 years requirement before studying.

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess

XakEp posted:

OSCP is one of those certs that you need to be ready to put in the time for - not memorize a lot of stuff for.

Oh yeah I meant that I'll start the two months of training in the next few weeks. The CCNA however I think I can pull off in the mean time.

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess

PneumonicBook posted:

So I'm trying to knock out both Sec+ and Net+ in the next few months for WGU, and I started with Sec+, however before checking the OP I ordered the book that WGU is using which is this one. Should I just say screw it and grab Darril Gibson's book instead? I'm like five chapters into the Emmett Dulaney one and it seems okay but based on everyone saying Darril's is super awesome I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my time. Also would it be worth it do Net+ first and come back to Sec+? I've got a pretty rudimentary knowledge of networking from the job I did in the Navy but I'm not sure how much networking knowledge I should have for the Sec+ and the Dulaney book keeps reminding me that CompTIA assumes you have networking knowledge.

Also, and this might be a little unrelated, does anyone have any experience with CompTIA's CTT+ cert? I'm giving it a shot next week because the Navy is paying for it and a couple other instructor's who took it said it's fairly common sense teaching theory.

I've complete my sec+ a few months ago and if you need both certs I would go with the networking+ first as the sec+ expects you to have the knowledge. However if things like subnetting memorizing common ports and firewall rules sounds easy then you can safely skip net+. As for the books I've heard good things about both so you should be fine.

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess
Passed my GWAPT from SANS last month and my boss is paying for two more this year. I’m taking the advanced webapp course next. But I still have to decide on the second. It just has to relate to security somehow. I’m thinking of Cyber Threat Intelligence course from SANS as it looks interesting and meets the buzzword quota. Anyone have an idea? Doesn’t have to be from SANS.

I have the sec+, CSA+, OSCP and CISSP.