Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If someone asks, just pull out a picture of your Flying Saucer plate. True credentials right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Thirteenth Step posted:

My CCENT cert expires this September so I need to get going on CCNA really. Last time I took this exam I failed by quite a distance after watching/note taking through the CBT Nuggets video series. I thought I was we'll prepped and bound for a 1000 but apparently not.

What else should I be doing? I feel like I'm missing a whole chunk of information. A friend of mine told me earlier today that studying the Press eBook is essential. Is that the case?

To all you CCNA's; how did you study?

I'm studying for the CCENT portion of the CCNA right now by using the Lamle book. I've been watching the nugget videos but there is just so much that's being missed. I would use both. One for the nitty gritty information and the other for an easy explanation and follow along.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So there's an opportunity for me to maybe play around with Microsoft SCCM at work. Are there any books or materials that might help me out with this? I'll be eventually going for my MCSA soonish so I figure this is a good way to show my bosses that I can potentially handle the big time and move up from support.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

forever gold posted:

Is it enough to land a help desk position with just the A+ and Network+ but no experience? The job postings in my area almost always stress previous experience no matter what the position is.

That is pretty much the purpose of those certs. Anything that says 2 years of experience of help desk is bullshit. Get A+ and apply. Hell you could probably put in your résumé "persuing A+ certification" and get hired.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Well maybe I'll speed up my plans to get my CCNA then. I don't particularly feel like failing on a new test and being a guinea pig.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You'll probably want to spell it right on your resume though.

Touché.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I can see that. Someone using a brain dump cert to con their way into a job is much different than someone using a cert as supplement to their normal job and partial experience. Of course if you use a dump, get a job, and can't do it you'll get fired pretty quick so it works out in the end.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 9, 2013

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tasty Wheat posted:

"All prostitutes seem to need deep penetration"

Thank you for this.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

If you liked Jeremy Cioara I'd love to hear what you think of James Conrad (MCSAs) - he seems to be completely divisive. I quite like him personally.

I see James Conrad as someone teaching a comedy defensive driving course. You are tasked with learning something that may or may not be kinda dull, but he tries his best to liven it up as best he can. I think he's alright, even with his overly perky attitude

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's really dependent on what career path you want. Networking or system admin? Sure a CCNA will help you out some if you're managing servers but probably not to the degree the cert provides. A bit overkill

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How do the rest of the MCSA tests compare to 410?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sheep posted:

Anyone here still doing courses at Stanly? If so, this might be of interest to you:

I saw that 50 spots were opened up to the next 175 people on the waitlist. I replied within 10 minutes of getting it so hopefully I'm able to get into the next class at the end of May. Sucks for people in those states.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gooby pls posted:

udemy still has the ten dollar course sale going on.

https://www.udemy.com/courses/

If you're going down the Cisco track, Chris Bryant's material is pretty great. Sitting for my CCNP Route 300-101 test next week and his stuff on BGP has been excellent.

I'm not seeing the sale?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Alright my new company wants me to head down the ccnp collaboration path. Am I blind or are there no official books for collaboration OR video available????

I know voice and video are being retired but why is there no video book at all, the path has been out for Years.

https://www.udemy.com/ccnpallinone/?dtcode=AMoXTBY2Zyi9

Someone was saying somethign about Chris Bryant being a good source for CCNA/CCNP stuff. Right now you can get the course for :10bux: too

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think it depends on if you want to quit insurance now and get a leg up on experience with a help desk job. If you're content with your current position then yea sure go for the CCNA and try and break in through that. It'll definitely take you further in your career.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm in that terrible position where I'm done studying for the ccna but I can't tell if I'm ready for the test. I read through Odom's icnd1 book and competed a 30 hour video course on udemy, following along in the packet tracer. I can set up a test lab with three routers, 9 switches, and 3 vlans, without looking at my notes.

But every free practice test I take catches me up on inane minutia of a specific services that doesn't have anything to do with a network configuration. It's a huge demotivation to bomb these unofficial and likely misleading tests.

Can anybody reassure me as to whether a good conceptual understanding and practical skills will get me through the test? Or do I need to hit the books again to memorize the acronyms associated with the phases of PPP?

This is where I see the value of dumps. You don't have get the latest dump and memorize answers but you could get an older one and get a feel for the test from real examples.

We had a file cabinet in college filled with old tests that was great study material for this exact reason.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The guy reading the slides is southern as hell and says things like "operatin' system" and it makes me laugh.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea we do talk like that as we drink our sweet tea.

The biggest frustration was waiting for the stupid quizzes to be unlocked. Finished up the videos yesterday since they just now were able to be completed. I should finish up entirely by the weekend and then the real studying begins

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I see the Scott Lowe book and that one mentioned all the time. I guess you can't really go wrong with either

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Barracuda Bang! posted:

So, I was trying to go towards CCNA via self-study, but I'm not a great self-motivator. I was looking online for courses, but a lot of them are in the $3k+ range. However, I found one on coursehorse for just under $800, here: http://coursehorse.com/ccna-training-nyc/cisco-ccna-ccent-certification

Is that suspiciously cheap? I already have a few years working in IT, and do a little networking and Cisco work (mostly ASAs) as it is, but I'm far from seasoned. I'd be good about doing required studying between classes, but yeah...I tend to lose focus when I'm trying to self-direct over the course of months.

Any advice about whether that class would be worth it, based on anyone's experience, would be appreciated.

Maybe try one of the Chris Bryant videos from Udemy? The short segments may be easier to follow and you can lab along side it seems.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jeesis posted:

I am currently working on getting the CCNA and am intending to get a Microsoft server cert and preferably specialize in security. But have zero experience working at corporate job or really even in a cubicle farm. Am I going to have trouble getting a job even if I have the certs?

Also, I really want to get into pentesting but going for the Microsoft server cert just in case I have trouble finding work. Is it viable to just jump straight into security and skip any kind of server management?

I am open to taking a lower paying job as a help desk monkey just to pad out my resume, would a ccnet be good enough for that or should I go for the A+ as well just to be safe? Did some of the practice questions and was able to answer almost all of them with little effort.

A MCSA or CCNA prior to any real experience would easily get your foot in the door somewhere as desktop support. You wouldn't need A+ unless you really wanted to for that basic desktop support knowledge which you would pick up on the job in a matter of weeks anyway. I would go ahead and pick up Security+ however since that is a baseline security cert until you can go down the CISSP route

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 15, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Walked posted:

Little late; but definitely one of the worst exams I've taken; its just designed to be tricky and doesnt really reflect knowledge or skill, IMO.

"WHERE ON THE SCREEN WOULD YOU CLICK FIRST IN ORDER TO MAKE SURE YOU CAN VIRTUALIZE A DOMAIN CONTROLLER?" Uhhhhhhh, I mean, I get the intention but really guys? :psyduck:

70-411 is indeed worse.

Take 74-409 instead of 412 for the wrap up of the MCSA (at least thats what I did and am glad I did).

I might end up going the 462 route since I already have a VCP.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Udemy routinely has what you're looking for for $10-15. Do not get anything for anything else.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My work has given us 4 hours a week to study but I'll be damned if I'd actually be able to get away from the desk.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

HPL posted:

Sweet. I can put it up next to my English degree.

Hell yea English degreed IT buddy

Funny enough I trump up that stupid degree by saying something along the lines of "The IT industry has a problem with communication and this here English degree was perfect for learning how to think critically, analyze, and communicate with others." It goes surprisingly well.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Has anyone taken a masters degree from WGU?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The nearly 100% raise( I think) he's getting is a pretty big motivator.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Playing Aardwolf MUD in the mid 90s as a kid was the best typing practice. Mavis eat your heart out

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

just brain dump it at this point so the broken lab won't fail you

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

More importantly did he pass

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm curious if the sim actually works you just have to use some jankyass command instead

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Passed 410 woo. Skin of my teeth 768/1000 but hey every point after passing is time wasted studying

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Does anyone have experience with the alternate MCSA offerings instead of the 412? I'd like to learn some sql so I'd at least have some potential talking point during interviews for other positions. Also with a bunch of stuff moving to O365 that seems like s viable option as well.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

drat dude that's awesome

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sefal posted:

I need some advice. Yesterday I finally passed the MCSA 70-412 exam. I kinda don't know where to go from here. I believe I need more experience before I go for the MCSE cert.
Where do you go from MCSA Server 2012?

Is this your only cert? The one-two punch MCSA and CCNA should land you a decent position out of help desk or jr system admin. VMWare VCP-DCV is a good place to go next as well.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

When is 2016 dropping anyway? Do they generally have the release and MCSA pretty close together?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

An interview I just went on just seemed kinda bummed I wasn't intimately familiar with ITIL. Guess I need to learn about it enough to say I'm familiar. What's the study material?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My VCP5 expires right when I get back from hiking the AT. I think I'm gonna just let it lapse and hopefully finish up my MCSA right before I quit my job and leave for 6 months.

Right idea or should I re-up the VCP6 delta exam before I go instead?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I like pluralsights MCSA offerings and powershell for admins courses. I'm not sure on their other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MJP posted:

From what I can gather about this, MS is giving free vouchers to the 70-743 to upgrade an MCSA 2012 to 2016... except the 743 doesn't seem to be available yet?

https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/posts/how-to-upgrade-to-mcsa-windows-server-or-sql-server-2016-for-free

Maybe it's just "here's a voucher for the exam when it's available" but it doesn't quite make that clear.

14 days to complete two more exams? Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart.