Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Race Realists posted:

this loving lab floored me a few hours ago

http://www.packettracernetwork.com/labs/lab1-basicswitchsetup.html

did almost everything and I still couldnt telnet to the switch with the remote laptop.

i do show ip int brief, it tells me its administratively down

how do you guys in the field retain your knowledge? i find it simple to remember things like show ip interface brief, but the simplest poo poo like configure terminal and line console 0/line vty just fly right out the window after awhile

Go to the interface and do a "no shut" command?

edit: I've just bought a CCNA and CCNP Routing course on Udemy since I need to cert up and I spend a lot of time troubleshooting BGP neighbors and IPsec tunnels for new branch offices. My other time is spent on airplanes flying around Asia and in bathrooms suffering food poisoning. I'm gonna hate myself if I don't get both the CCNA and CCNP Routing by the end of the year since I have half the time in the world.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bigass Moth posted:

You want to get a ccnp in five months? Good luck to you but I don't know how reasonable that is.

No no, just the routing part. I'm saving switch and tshoot for later.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Slow day at work, reading through my Lammle CCNA book:

:jerkbag:

(I otherwise very much like the book.)

At least he's thorough. Some of these Udemy and CBTnuggets videos I've been watching sometimes feel like they don't go into stuff deeply enough.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you pay more than $20 you're not trying hard enough for coupons. I paid $15 for over 30 hours of CCNA videos and it was a really great resource.

It's like a community college though. The entire experience depends on the instructors which range from "really great" to "cashing a check".

This, treat is as a Steam sale and hoard when stuff can be gotten cheap. I got some really good CCNA/CCNP stuff as well, but the Juniper courses seem worse across the board.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just passed my JNCIA-Junos exam. They should really do these tests in pubquiz format, in an actual pub. My scores would skyrocket.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm not gonna lie if that's your cert dream list you aren't trying very hard.

MCSE, VCDX, CCIE, PMP

Prints money.

No ITIL ? No moneyprinting.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SaltLick posted:

An interview I just went on just seemed kinda bummed I wasn't intimately familiar with ITIL. Guess I need to learn about it enough to say I'm familiar. What's the study material?

I think ITIL Foundation is the entry level cert, great for getting into organizations where independent thought and productivity are not qualities they look for in employees.

Scheduled my JNCIS-ENT exam for early June, might as well use the momentum I have from my previous cert.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

VCP/DX-NV, CCNA/NP/IE Data Center.

ACI sucks though, so get the VMWare cert instead.

I wish Cisco would release products when they're finished. Instead of a year or 2 before completion.

I'm looking at you Cisco Prime.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

Cisco Prime is so godawful. I wish Cisco would stop packaging it with Cisco ISE so I wouldn't have to keep installing it. A customer recently asked me about it and I told them to avoid it at all costs, much to the chagrin of our salespeople (despite the fact that we also partner with Splunk, which is a much better product for what the customer was trying to do).

e: I've never met anyone who actually had to use Cisco Prime that liked it. It's only salespeople and presales engineers.

I wish I could back all the time I wasted on conference calls with Prime engineers. Their solution to everything was completely rebuilding Prime from the ground up every time.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Heh, the CCNA R&S is getting revised rather quickly. Then again, SDN and The :yayclod: wait for no one I suppose.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna

According to that: Last exam is 20th August 2016 for the ICND1 and full CCNA. 24th September for ICND2

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just failed my JNCIS-ENT. loving BGP and STP kicked my rear end.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Just failed my JNCIS-ENT. loving BGP and STP kicked my rear end.

There we go, passed. Also a perfect moment to :yotj:

Next up, probably the revised CCNA since JNCIP self study materials are rather hard to come by.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sefal posted:

Edit: How do you guys deal with nervousness just before the exam?
I always start to feel a bit light headed, my fingers are vibrating, I can't sit still.

I live about 20 minutes from the exam location. 20 minutes of walking is great to clear the mind.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skooma512 posted:

You would look like a complete twat if you referred to anything by RFC number in a meeting.

So naturally, I'm sure it's at least 3 questions.

I don't know. We had plenty of routing and firewall policies for internal traffic that were just called RFC1918

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charliegrs posted:

So I have to get a Juniper JCNIA cert for work. Whats the best way for me to mess around with the CLI? I really learn best when I can actually poke around in an interface and do config changes etc. Would the best thing for me to do be to get a cheap piece of used equipment? Something like a SRX 100, 110, or 210 something like that? Or are there any cheap or free simulator programs? I'm coming from the Cisco world so I'm curious if theres any kind of Juniper equivalent to Packet Tracer.

If your job uses Juniper you might be able to get an image there and just run a bunch of VMs in GNS3.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The latest version of GNS3 is so unstable for me that I stopped using it. Today I found out that Cisco VIRL is way cheaper than a year ago ($199 vs. $299) so I'm gonna resubscribe to that, another upside to VIRL is that it comes with a L2 image for all your switching needs.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woof Blitzer posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but would 4 months be enough time to get CCENT and A+/Net+? Assuming I have 7 days a week to focus on learning.

Don't know about the A+/Net+ as these carry no weight in this part of the world.

But 4 months for a CCENT at 7 days a weeks should be enough provided you have any kind of affinity with networking.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Passed my Riverbed Certified Solutions Associate – WAN Optimization today with a whopping 61/60 score. Feels good.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doing my JNCIP-ENT this Friday. Would be nice if I passed it on the first try, since all of management has their eyes on me and after months of studying I could use a change of curriculum.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Doing my JNCIP-ENT this Friday. Would be nice if I passed it on the first try, since all of management has their eyes on me and after months of studying I could use a change of curriculum.

And I passed. Finally on to something new to study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LochNessMonster posted:

Just did the Certified Rancher Operator: Level One course.

It’s a free course with exam/cert you can take online without a proctor. I don’t really care as I wanted to get a bit more familair with Rancher and the course material is really nice.

Wow, they are taking this cattle terminology all the way aren't they?

More on topic, anyone have any experience with the palo alto certification track? My new job is like 60% palo alto firewalls and I think it's a good time to pivot my career from traditional networks into security anyway