Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Just wanted to post a wonderful shout out to this thread.

2.5 years ago I poked my head in here to ask about starting an IT career to escape my old career in restaurant management. I have now worked for 2+ years professionally in IT, make a comfortable salary, and have (most) nights and weekends off for the first time in my working life.

If you're stepping in here, wondering the same things I did, it really is very realistic for you to move out of whatever job you hate now and into IT.

How long did it take you to study up? I took an intro to computer science course in college but I’ve forgotten almost all of it. Are there any good online courses or will I just have to muck it out with self-study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Professor Messer's A+ Program on YouTube is a great place to start. Honestly, the way I was hired, and the way I hire Tier 1/Basic Entry Level people now is based entirely around someone's motivation for self-learning and problem-solving skills. If you start out in something like Managed Services, you're going to be dealing with a lot of specific applications and simple tasks, like password resets.

Some good things to learn to demonstrate basic support knowledge for interview questions:

Active Directory (Basic account creation, account disable/enable, password resets)
Basic Windows "Networking" (IP Addressing, Subnet, Default Gateway Configuration, Wireless vs. Wired)

If you don't know the answer to an interview question for a level one position, the very best answer you can provide is how you would work toward finding the answer on your own. Non-specific questions via Google, Internet Forums, Internal Documentation. Application or Hardware Specific: Review support options, contact the vendor(s) support.

Thanks for the advice. My city actually has an "intensive" job training program for coding/tech jobs that has some pretty good contacts with the region's computer employers. It's free so the waitlist is decent-sized so I'm doing this right now to try to get my skills up prior to the program or as a back-up if I'm not accepted or the waitlist turns out to be unbearably long so I'm more worried about learning the material right now than interviews which comes later.

I bought ExamCram and am working my way through it and networks is something I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around and I'm going to have to focus hard on. Are there any explanations of how networks work which are particularly good or simple. Labs or simulations? I usually do better hands-on-learning than reading, i think.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

guppy posted:

"How do networks work" is so vague that it has either a billion answers or none. Is there anything in particular you have questions about or would like explained?

I have a lot of questions but for just one:

What exactly are ports and what does it mean to have them open? Exam cram just kind of assumes I already know what they are and how they work.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

guppy posted:

"How do networks work" is so vague that it has either a billion answers or none. Is there anything in particular you have questions about or would like explained?

I have a lot of questions but for just one:

What exactly are ports and what does it mean to have them open? Exam cram just kind of assumes I already know what they are and how they work.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ilkhan posted:

If your IP is the house address that tells mail where to go, a port is the name portion or apartment/suite code of a letter, telling it specifically who it's address to. Various services listen on specific ports for incoming communication.

And if it’s closed it’s like when a business executive tells their secretary they’re not here for someone they don’t want to talk to? Ok thank you that makes sense.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 2, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I'm working my way through the Hardware domain on the A+ right now. So far I've got max cable lengths, DDR4 transfer speeds in Mb/s, and port numbers. Are there any other dumb things I just have to memorize that I've missed so far? What ones beyond the ram portion of the hardware domain do I need to look out for and start drilling when i get to them?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

What’s the difference between WPA2 and AES? I know they work together and are the two types that are least vulnerable to attack but why aren’t they a single protocol? The book I’m using doesn’t really say why they’re different so I assume it’s not important for the a+ (or beyond it) but I’m curious

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Currently looking to switch up my career field and I've decided on IT for a variety of reasons. Right now I'm just studying for the A+ cert using Mike Myers Udemy 1001/1002 courses though I am bit annoyed in that I paid ten bucks for study guides on a cert that I just found out yesterday will be retired in three weeks. Whoops.

Anyways, the vibe I've gotten from reading elsewhere is that the difference between 1001/1002 and 1101/1102 isn't too much of a leap if I am already technically proficient, and that I should be fine to continue using the Mike Myers course. Is that the case or am I setting myself up for failure? I plan on doing some practice exams for 1101/1102 before the real deal, so I think that would definitely tell me if I need to go back and study on something I missed.

Only other question is as far as vouchers, are there any reputable places other than CompTIA I can buy them from for less than what CompTIA charges?

I just found this out from this post and now I have two weeks less to study than when I wanted to take the test. Oh well! I’ll just be a mess of anxiety and stress for the next two weeks.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone know good mnemonics for the A+? so far I've got:

I Eat Tacos Every Valentines Day for the troubleshooting process

Carry Extra Donuts To Fat Cops for laser printer process

G comes before O and Striped before Solid for keeping the Twisted Pairs straight.

Send Mail to People for which one of the email protocols actually sends vs receives (I usally forget this isn't its real name at this point)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Moey posted:

So, I was reviewing the guides for the VMware VCAP-DCV Design exam and the VCAP-DCV Deploy exam.

After working heavily with this crap for over a decade, I honestly feel good about passing them with minimal study. Those two would give me a VCIX-DCV.

My question, is this actually with it? Each of those exams would cost me $450.

I don't want to get my work to pay for this, because I plan on looking for new jobs after I knock out a handful of more certs.

Thoughts?

Get them to pay for it. If you’re not stealing from your boss you’re stealing from your family

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Unless it’s a small business it’s not even your bosses money. It’s the money of some rich assholes in New York or London or LA you’ve never met. Take their money they’re taking yours

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Currently looking to switch up my career field and I've decided on IT for a variety of reasons. Right now I'm just studying for the A+ cert using Mike Myers Udemy 1001/1002 courses though I am bit annoyed in that I paid ten bucks for study guides on a cert that I just found out yesterday will be retired in three weeks. Whoops.

Anyways, the vibe I've gotten from reading elsewhere is that the difference between 1001/1002 and 1101/1102 isn't too much of a leap if I am already technically proficient, and that I should be fine to continue using the Mike Myers course. Is that the case or am I setting myself up for failure? I plan on doing some practice exams for 1101/1102 before the real deal, so I think that would definitely tell me if I need to go back and study on something I missed.

Only other question is as far as vouchers, are there any reputable places other than CompTIA I can buy them from for less than what CompTIA charges?

have not been a fan of mike myers course at all. professor messer's boring, monotone and dense but his videos track the COMPTIA objectives pretty closely. Myer's has his own system for covering information that is completely unrelated to the A+ objective structure. His videos seem mainly focused on trying to teach you to be a decent PC repairman which is what A+ is supposed to do but doesn't really help you so much with an exam that's mainly focused on making sure you know every single adjective, and how many pins are on particular pieces of RAM. He's been really helpful actually at getting me to understand the way certain computer things work more than the other guys so I wouldn't say he's a bad teacher just one teaching a different course than what he says he is. I've actually found Dion's practice exams and super helpful and the part where he goes over PBQ's to actually be really good grounding for the multiple choice stuff too. Other than that I'm just rereading my ExamCram textbook which I really don't like but its too late and too much money to switch to a better one (The author will often forget about facts hes supposed to cover and will just cram it into a single sentence in a different paragraph. His explanation for GPT in disc formatting was just the ways it upgraded MBR without ever explaining what MBR was as a baseline or even giving me the full name. I actually would have been completely lost without Myer's explanation on the subject credit where its due.)

TL;DR all the A+ exam prep guys suck in different ways except for Dion whose only sin is giving me long rear end stories about him buying his children a tiny pie.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

dumb question:

with boot problems when do i use fixmbr vs fixboot vs rebuildbcd?

I know you use mbr for the mbr and fixboot for the bootsector but right now the distinction between the two is kind of muddled for me. And I can't get my head around what the hell the bcd is and when i need to rebuild it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Passed core 1 with an 800. Now to cram for core 2 tomorrow because I decided to do this in the stupidest way possible (both tests at once without researching edition retirement dates in a city with only one testing center only open on weekends run by a very mean man)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

navyjack posted:

Doing core 1 on Monday and 2 on Tuesday. I feel pretty good about 1, less steady on 2. Guess we’ll find out.

Everyone on reddit who talks about their scores seems to get a lower score on 2 than on 1. I had an anxiety attack during the test I'm having an anxiety attack now cramming and wish I had just restudied for 11 and taken my time.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Passed core 1 with an 800. Now to cram for core 2 tomorrow because I decided to do this in the stupidest way possible (both tests at once without researching edition retirement dates in a city with only one testing center only open on weekends run by a very mean man)

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Everyone on reddit who talks about their scores seems to get a lower score on 2 than on 1. I had an anxiety attack during the test I'm having an anxiety attack now cramming and wish I had just restudied for 11 and taken my time.

After all that I passed with a score exactly two points higher. I am a+ certified just under the retirement wire. I was much less confident going in then for the first one but once the test was going I thought it was easier (even though I scored almost the same so I guess not really) I guess my anxiety made me over-prepare.

Going to get so drunk tonight and not even look at a technical term until Halloween. Then updating my resume, looking for jobs, and figuring out what cert I should take next (while researching retirement dates this time).

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

navyjack posted:

Grats! Network + just retired iirc so you’ve got 3 years if you want to do that one.

I think I’m going to study for the net+ but not take it unless any job I get needs me to. I want to improve my understanding of networks but it’s an expensive test like all of compTIA compared to others and I’ve heard it’s one that nobody really cares about.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

navyjack posted:

Taking A+ core 2 in a couple hours. Anything I should dump into my brain?

Read every question that has more than one sentence twice once before reading the answers and once after.

Anytime there’s more than one right answer in troubleshooting role play like you’re in an actual company and think about the time and money involved in fixing it, how bad you’ll get chewed out by your boss if it was the other one and the likelihood the users just an idiot.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ratmtattat posted:

Is this from the internet+ exam?

Impossible, it’s not worded confusingly enough

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

Passed the AWS Certified Solution Architect - Professional yesterday. The Associate cert I had was expiring by the end of the month so I decided to see if I could renew with the Pro. Took 2 weeks to prep for it and passed with 850/1000 (750 needed for a pass). I hoped I'd have more time but didn't realize the Pro exam was retiring so I took it on the last day it was available and crammed as much study time in the 2 weeks as I could.

Probably the most difficult exam I've taken so far. Mostly due to the combination of amount of questions, amount of services and the level of knowledge you need to have on every single one of them. On top of that you really need to read and understand the question as some solutions might not be ideal, but they are the best suited for that specific scenario and requirements.

Extremely happy with the exam result as the Jon Bonso test exams weren't going so great. They did help me pinpoint my weaknesses and focus on those areas. Of course the real exam had less questions about my (brushed up) weak areas and decided to question other areas more in depth.

Not sure if this is the best thread for it but- what certification/job path took you to an AWS specialization?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Most of the jobs that I would like want Active Directory and SQL knowledge. What's the best way to get trained up on those for cheap?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

AD and SQL is an interesting combo - are the jobs for like a one-man IT team?

I'm applying for help desk support. It may just be non-technical recruiters throwing every keyword they can into the requirements but I still have to get through them to get the job. I've seen some that want azure experience for 20/hr entry-level which even I know is BS.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

guppy posted:

When people who know what they are talking about say they want someone who "knows Active Directory," they usually mean they want someone who knows how to implement or administer it. It does not sound like the people posting the helpdesk jobs you're talking about are people who know what they are talking about. Asking for SQL experience is even worse. There is no helpdesk role in existence that requires people to know the details of AD or how to do literally anything in SQL.

Cool. What knowledge should I brush up on to make myself more attractive for those roles? I just got the A+, have a couple years in customer service jobs and I have a bachelors but it’s a humanities degree.

I just had a car get stolen so I’m probably not going to be able to afford an actual certification until I actually get the job since I need to use my savings for another car (I live in the south so there’s no public transport)

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 11, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Just get the network + if you’re tying to get real computer toucher jobs. Nobody actually cares about the A+ and it’s more expensive than the network + because it’s two tests plus that means there’s more chances to fail.

The prep is useful for becoming familiar with basics like ram if you don’t know that already but it’s real utility is just getting you past HR screens to interview with the guys who actually understand computers which network+ also does for half the cost.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Shugojin posted:

What's an ok course/book/practice exam for net+ these days?

I'm technically certified unless they got rid of my lifetime one forever ago so I don't think I need to actually take a test, I just want to brush up on poo poo i forgot/learn what changed/chase off impostor syndrome since I ended up working in IT anyway

imposter syndrome never goes away. nobody understands computers. IT people just don't understand them least.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ratmtattat posted:

I have the server+. It's not worth much but might be enough of a resume fodder to get you an interview. It isn't going to teach you much about what actual server administration is like.

That’s true of all certs though from what I can see

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Organic Lube User posted:

I've just been laid off from my job in the marijuana industry, and I'm looking to get back into IT after being out of the loop since 2015. I started back in 1996 in a computer store and moved into contracting, with a bit of MSP work sprinkled in among a decent amount of help desk work. I got my A+ in 1998, and never really got any other certs since.
If I'm looking to get back into the field, should I focus first on retaking the A+, or just chug right past it and go for Network+ or Security+?

A+ and net + are only valuable for getting you a phone screen. Once you get past that their worth evaporates because you’ll then get interviewed by people who can actually evaluate if you know jack poo poo. Getting the phone screen is valuable so just get the net + because it’s cheaper and only one test

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

If I were to get a cloud cert specifically as a tier one tech support trying to prep for getting out of that,which one would be best?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

wash bucket posted:

I went with AWS because that's what I'm seeing the most on job postings. Though the last large company I worked at was moving towards Azure because they were all in on Microsoft's business offerings for everything else.

I’m comfortable with AWS because that’s why my place works with and I read through their logs all the time. But which one?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ashheap Empire posted:

So let's say hypothetically, there was a guy who worked in manufacturing for like 15+ years.

Im sorry I work in IT. I don’t answer hypothetical questions

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Also: the only cert which will let you skip help desk or tech support is a BS in Computer Science. And sometimes even then. Honestly help desk is something you have to do because the theory of computers is far different than the reality of them and no cert really prepares you for the most important part of IT. The many varieties of user error and how they lie to try to cover it up

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ashheap Empire posted:

I'm just going to apply everywhere for anything I think I can handle. If I have to pay my dues at help desk so be it. Would it be worth it dropping the $600 to get A+ or should the CCNA be enough to show I know enough for entry-level work?

The best way to figure out what certain are worth your time are to go on indeed type in help desk and see what certs are mentioned most.

Certs are for getting past HR, when you get in front of the actual technical people they’ve seen enough paper techs with certs who still aren’t worth anything to learn to actually ask technical questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Lucinice posted:

I need some advice for studying. I'm trying go study for the network + and I went through an entire video lesson package and took notes. Now when I look at my notes I just feel overwhelmed with information and don't know how to tackle it. Did anyone else have a similar issue they can provide advice for?

Watch the video again at double speed and take notes again. I’ve personally never found value in rereading notes it’s putting it to paper makes it engage your mind more that i find helpful personally