Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I've been building my CCNA/CCENT home lab, and this is what I've bought today:

1x 2611xm
1x 2621xm
1x 3550-24-SMI
2x WS-C2950-24

Will this carry me through most of the CCNA labwork?

Also, a couple questions about some of the interfaces - The 2611xm has one WIC-2AM and one WIC-1DSUT1, will they be of much use for me in a home lab environment? Also, I ordered two WIC-T2 modules to mess around with Frame Relay, and I wanted to be sure about the cable I'll need to connect the routers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Martytoof posted:

IMHO, pull the IOS off your 2600 and use GNS3 for the routers. Then just interconnect the switches to your computer into your GNS3 lab.

I've got GNS3 with IOS images already, I really wanted to get hands-on experience with the hardware as well - just to ensure that I'm learning everything and not merely cramming it. I've been "official" desktop support and repair at my university for almost five years, but I feel like none of it directly translates into jr network admin or engineer positions, which is what I want to do now that I've graduated.

e: oh, and thanks for the response.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

DropsySufferer posted:

ICND 1 640-822 is down, one more to go. Definitely need to be fast if you have any hoping of passing. I was so drat nervous I'm still impressed that I passed. Writing all the masks helped me save valuable time.

Congrats, I'm taking 640-822 myself on thursday.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I've got 640-822 tomorrow. Getting nervous and poo poo.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Passed ICND1 640-822 with a 950/1000. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Going to take the night off, and jump right back into studying for the 640-816.

e: Also, weirdly enough time wasn't much of a problem for me. Had like 40 or so minutes remaining at the end.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Scheduling ICND2 for next Monday. Getting nervous again.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Cowboy Bobs Hep C posted:

I'm taking classes through a community college and am almost confident enough to take the test for CompTIA. I asked my professor what I should go for next, and he said most people do CCNA. If I start working on this tomorrow, is it even feasible to finish before Cisco changes everything? I have a full time (and then some) job and hardly have time to study outside of class.

I started studying for the ICND1 at the beginning of July, and I'm finally taking ICND2 this week - but I'm unemployed, chilling in my parents basement. It might be unfeasible if you're really busy.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

My ICND2 is tomorrow. Any last minute studying tips?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Passed ICND2, 958/1000. Whoop whoop!

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Agatsu posted:

Hi all-

I'm taking my CCNA next week, the -802 combined test. I've collected several sources of practice tests, and none of them have any cli simulation questions in them - it's all multiple choice or t/f. Is that accurate? Can anyone that's taken it recently confirm if there are any simulated "type in the commands to make this happen" questions. Thanks!

Anyone that's taken the test can't say what was on it, but Cisco offers a tutorial for the type of questions you'll receive on their website.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

edit:wrong thread

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

skipdogg posted:

WGU related, not so much certification related, but I'm almost done with WGU. All I have left is my capstone and I can find no motivation to finish. I'm just giving no fucks right now. When I started 3 years ago I was making 42K a year doing helpdesk level IT bullshit in a call center replacing phones and keyboards and making new AD user accounts. I felt I needed that degree to get out of there and started with WGU. 3 years and 2 promotions later I've got a Sr. Sys Admin title, making a commensurate salary and working on really interesting projects that have global reach in the company. Mentally I'm saying 'What's the point?' I've come this far though, need to get it over with. Maybe I just need some random internet people to yell at me

Get your loving degree.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I'd skip A+, honestly. Do you know what you're interested in?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Chief Savage Man posted:

The A+ book I ordered (Sybex) mentions something called Strata IT Fundamentals that's supposedly a base that the A+ stuff builds off of. I don't see it in the OP anywhere so I figure it's not worth worrying about?

I literally cannot imagine what could be more fundamental or introductory than A+. I'm sure you'll be fine.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I've got my CCNP Switch exam this friday. :ohdear:

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

So, CCNP Switch tomorrow. I feel pretty good about vlans, vtp, stp, and the various gateway redundancy protocols. My weakest area is probably related to the various miscellaneous security features. Anyone got any last-minute advice or had a subject emphasis you weren't really expecting?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Hmm, there wasn't any mention of ACLs or even wireless technologies in my cert guide book. :ohdear:

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

1000101 posted:

Which book did you use? Are VLAN ACLs on the new blueprint even? (these will be different from your typical access-lists)

I've got the 300-115 official cert guide by David Hucaby.

And after poking around at the exam topics, I don't think vlan ACLs are on the new test as far as I can tell.

I wonder if IP SLA will be covered. It isn't in the exam topics, but it is in my cert guide.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Failed with 766. Bummer.

Got hosed on security. My mind blanked on an AAA lab and I know it failed me there.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Retook 300-115. Passed with a 965/1000.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

1000101 posted:

Excellent!

You have ROUTE and TSHOOT left?

Yep. It's going to more difficult because of how little routing I do at work. Giving myself about 2-3 months to study, shooting for taking ROUTE sometime in June.

e: Even jumping back into traditional IOS was annoying after using nothing but NX-OS for over a year.

sudo rm -rf fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 3, 2015

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

1000101 posted:

I use it all the time to validate various things before I do them. It's a tool you'll probably use a lot long after you pass any tests. If it includes the devices used in that exam then yes, worthy investment.

Does VIRL include the ASA product line? I don't have a lot of experience with ASAs and I don't want to make changes to our production ASA since I don't really have a way to test them.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Just scheduled CCNP - ROUTE for March 11th.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

crunk dork posted:

Going to retake 210-260 in about an hour, hoping another week of study on weak areas will be enough to pass. I don't even care about doing great on it I just want to be done with this miscarriage of an exam

good luck

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I've got CCNP - ROUTE tomorrow. wish me luck!

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Passed CCNP - route 923/1000 :toot:

Wasn't as bad as I was expecting. After I got surprised on Switch by some of the questions, I made sure to go through the exam topics and read through all the small random subjects because I felt like the one you're not 100% on is inevitably the subject you'll get asked about the most, haha.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

passed tshoot today.

finally done with ccnp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

sloshmonger posted:

I passed the DCV6 about 2 months ago. If you've got a lot of experience you should already know the practical parts, but knowing the various system and licensing requirements, editions and configuration limits will be helpful. I ended up using a study guide from vBrownbag and it was helpful, but my VMware experience was not as recent.

Anything else besides the vbrownbag stuff? i've decided to grab dcv6 since i took the class a couple years ago.