Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My school offered the 98-349 exam and 98-367 exam for free.

Today I took the 349 and passed. My 1st step into getting Microsoft certified. It was pretty easy. But I don't think I can easily pass 367, are there any tips or material online(free) to help me study? I have the PDF security fundamentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So i'm diving into certifying myself. My boss and my senior techs are all telling me to start with the MCSA exams.
My boss has paid for this course http://www.icttrainingen.nl/Microsoft/Installing-and-Configuring-Windows-Server-2012-R2-exam-70-410.html
Is that course sufficient enough to take the 70-410 exam? So far the 70-410 doesn't seem to be difficult, just a lot of information to take in . But I read some of you here found it difficult and that scared me shitless. And my senior took the 417 and even he said it was quite difficult. So I want to prepare the most I can for the MCSA exams. Are there any tips? Would building a lab help?

I'm also starting my Bachelor degree study in IT Systems and Networking engineer today.
This study will be combined with my work. My employer is covering all costs for the tuition. Besides that i'll be working 36 hours a week and will be spending 2 nights a week at school. Sadly the school doesn't have programs for certifications. I'd like to get the mcsa during this busy schedule.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 31, 2015

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
How much more difficult is the MCSA 70-411 compared to the 70-410?
I passed the 70-410 exam last friday. I used https://www.icttrainingen.nl/ to study for it.
I was planning on taking a small break on studying But I imagine it would be better if I pushed on and passed the 70-411 in february and 70-412 in march.
70-410 was really difficult. It took quite a while before i started to understand it all.
Is this viable? Is it realistic to do 411 in feb and 412 in march. Is that enough time. I hear 411 is difficult and that 412 is insane. I already had so much trouble studying for 410.

let's say by some miracle. I pass this all in march. Should I continue to go for MCSE and start the 70-413 exam or should I get CCNA?
Also can I add 70-410 to my linkedin page before passing all 3 or can it only be done after I pass all 3 exams?
mcp.microsoft lists my MTA and MCP certs. But I don't see a 70-410 cert.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 19, 2016

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I need some advice. Yesterday I finally passed the MCSA 70-412 exam. I kinda don't know where to go from here. I believe I need more experience before I go for the MCSE cert.
Where do you go from MCSA Server 2012?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
MCSA is the only cert I have that's worth anything. I've always wanted to get the CCNA cert but my boss doesn't want to pay for it anymore. Now he wants me to get MCSE before he will pay for the CCNA.
I can't seem to convince him to fund my CCNA learning materials.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

You have all 3 MCSA Certs?

Just get the MCSE if you particularly enjoy working with the Microsoft line-up of products. Nearly every IT Industry Certification recommends an arbitrary amount of real-world experience but in the overwhelming majority of circumstances it's not necessary.

I have passed 70-410 in january, 70-411 in february and last week 70-412. Which only gives me MCSA Server 2012 right?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

Get your VCP and you'll be invincible. A VCP and MCSA cover the two big server virtualization platforms in enough detail to fill in the gaps or to understand where to go to fill 'em in.

MCSE for 2012 is basically a Hyper-V cert anyway, at least from what I've seen, and if nothing else, 2016 is coming down the pipe soon enough to merit upgrading to the 2016 MCSA and then just get the MCSE for 2016 so you're super current for the upcoming generation.

At least, that's my opinion/plan. A CCNA is probably a good complement if you want to take up the networking side of things.

That sounds like a very good plan.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I just failed the mcse 70-413 exam with a score of 653.
It was so much more difficult then the mcsa exams and I could not go back to previous questions. I'm gonna brush up on "plan and implement file and storages services", "design and maintain a dhcp solution" and Design a name resolution policy"

I'm thinking about studying the coming few days and retaking the exam on friday.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

You got this! That's only 2 or 3 questions away from a pass.

Thx for the encouragement. I rescheduled the exam for this week. My boss thankfully gave me the go ahead to retake it. Hopefully i'll pass this time.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

I've got the MS Exam Ref book for the 413 - what were you using to prep if I might ask?

I've been using this: http://www.icttrainingen.nl/Microsoft/Training-MCSE-Server-Infrastructure-Examens-70-413-en-70-414.html.

It's an online elearning portal. My boss gave me access to it.

Edit: How do you guys deal with nervousness just before the exam?
I always start to feel a bit light headed, my fingers are vibrating, I can't sit still.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 1, 2016

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Thx for the tips on calming my nerves

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well I'm not going to gently caress up with that...I'll have all my i's and t's crossed and dotted. Hopefully if you don't mind once I get "accepted" after my application process you won't mind answering further questions.

As for the 70-413, did I misread that in regards to marking answers and not being able going back to them?

You couldn't go back to questions about case studies after you answered them, and you couldn't go back after answering yes/no questions. The rest was fine.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sorry to be pedantic, are the MSCE different from MCSA tests in this regard?

When I took the MCSA exams earlies this year. I could go back and review every question.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I have done no exam today and I just got an e-mail from Microsoft to congratulate me with my MSCE Cloud platform and Infrastructure (*charter) cert. To make sure this was no spam. I logged into mcp.microsoft and yes it's even on my transcript earned today.
The last exam I passed was the 70-413 1 month ago. I only completed the 70-410 to 70-413 exams.
Has MS made a mistake? Has someone posed as me to do the exam? I can't imagine that.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

"[oMa posted:

Whackster" post="464712170"]
I guess Microsoft were due yet another complete reworking of the MCSE/MCSD system, it's only been a couple of years since the last one:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/27/microsoft_makes_massive_changes_to_mcse_and_mcsd/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-certification.aspx

You've just been upgraded automatically to one of the new certs as "All MCSE certifications released prior to September 2016 will be retired on March 31, 2017."

Oh sweet.
Does this mean that the MCSE server infrastructure cert is being phased out? I only need to do the 70-414 exam. Was planning of focusing on the upgrade exam for MCSA 2016 next year. Not sure if any word is out on the MCSE 2016 exams.
It's still worth to pick the mcse server infrastructure up right?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
only need to do the MCSE 70-414 to finish this track. I was thinking on delaying it until January 2017 so that it will also upgrade my cloud platform 2016 cert to 2017.

Good idea? or should i just take it asap

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Old workplace had a whole test environment where you could pretty much do anything. Spent most of time breaking and building stuff there.

I miss it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My old coworkers and boss told me to focus 1st on the Microsoft exams and then go for either Citrix or Vmware certs. When I told them I wanted to go for the CCNA cert. they said it shouldn't be a priority for me. they did agree that it would be valuable but they recommended me to 1st specialize myself.
That sounded reasonable to me. Are they right?

MCSE is done. New work place is using Ansible. Thinking of looking into that myself now.
My biggest pitfall is wanting too much. So i'm just trying to do one thing at time and focus that. But there is just too much out there.