Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I bought an S+ book and I'm going to get an N+ one soon. Let's do this poo poo.

Any tips? Do I need A+ first in order to take those exams? I have a bachelors in IS where we had to take a class that's supposedly equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I just got my S+ book. If the SY0-301 version of the test is retired this year does that mean I have to do this poo poo again next year? Can I just claim an S+ on my resume once I have it even if the cert just slipped into being out of date?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I've procrastinated literally all year and will likely take my S+ exam late November/early December. This S+ series expires at the end of the year.

Should I just plan to get the new book and start over? I have a feeling testing centers won't take me or won't have the soon to be expired exam that close to the end.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Doing Security + in a couple weeks.

Just read the book, do the practice tests and memorize the port chart and I'm good right?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Ozu posted:

As much as it gets poo poo on by InfoSec professionals, the CISSP actually holds weight with human resources and recruiters. Definitely head in that direction.

I can't imagine too many people in a position to hire looking at Certified Ethical Hacker on a resume and thinking anything other than, "Oh, ok".

What do InfoSec people like as far as certs? Are there any?

Baconroll posted:

I'm doing it in 2 weeks as well - just finished watching the Professor Messer's videos and have printed off the port list to stick on the wall behind my monitor. Next I'm going to do a run through Darril Gibson book, and then either get these practise tests http://gcgapremium.com/sy0-401-security-practice-test-questions/ or splash out for the transcender.

Think that will be plenty as it seems mostly common sense.

Assuming that goes well I'm thinking of either doing Certified Ethical Hacker or CISSP next. The CISSP would be nice but the thought of a 6 hour exam is a bit of a brain killer.

This is perfect. Thank you goonsir!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

So Security+ has added performance based questions since the Gibson book went to press.

One of the questions could be getting an md5 hash. That's fine, but that feature doesn't come with Windows and you need to get a program for it. How you'll know what to run on the test will be hard unless that program happens to be in the directory you're in. :catstare:

I'm not sure how to feel about them adding things like that and the review books not getting new editions. Luckily I've been looking for supplemental material but someone could just as easily use only the book and show up to the exam only to get dinged on something minor like that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Baconroll posted:

Not sure what version of the Gibson book you are using but the SY0-401 version of his book shows a screenshot of exactly how to do this on page 389.

In the screenshot it shows them doing a dir which shows md5sum.exe and the also the file you want to hash.

I'm doing SY0-301.

He has it in that book too, but they added the practical questions a year or so after SY0-301 was implemented. So the commands themselves aren't deemed as particularly important. I'm almost certainly overreacting, but still.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I just passed the Security+! :slick:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

Congrats! Did you find it difficult?

The performance based questions threw me off as I wasn't explicitly prepared for them since Gibson's book predates their invention. The concepts they said I missed questions on weren't what was covered by PBQs, so I think I managed to grope my way to victory on those.

Other than that, I think Gibson's book plus Messer and CBT Nuggets adequately prepared me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Just got back from passing my 70-680! Wasn't sure when I clicked Finish, I got hammered on a bunch of BranchCache configuration questions when my knowledge of that was basically limited to the fact that it exists and what it does. Time to review that and then onto the next... thinking Security+.

Congrats!

Though I looked at the exam objectives and they seem pretty... basic.

"Candidates for this exam operate in computing environments that use Microsoft Windows 7 as a desktop operating system in an enterprise environment. Candidates should have at least one year of experience in the IT field, as well as experience implementing and administering any Windows client operating system in a networked environment."

I feel like if you have one year of experience in desktop you probably can do 75% of this exam already. I don't know, maybe it's more in depth than the objective let on.

Security+ is good. Just read the Gibson and use CBTnugget's free trial. I have an exam coupon from a review site if you want it. I wish they sent it to me before I registered for the drat test.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

On the topic of Sec+ how in depth are the questions about different types of encryption? Is it just knowing the difference between symmetric and asymmetric or should I be trying to learn and memorize info about each individual system/algorithm?

There's about a dozen on the exam that's expiring today (301), though it's not like they make new ones frequently.

I would go ahead and memorize the types of encryption, how they're used, and the core concepts like (a)symmetric encryption, PKI etc.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

Well I'm studying for the 401, but the guys in LabSim go way out on a limb compared to the Sybex book.

Dumb question, do you mean there are a dozen questions about encryption or a dozen encryption methods on the exam?

Encryption methods, at least in the 301 book. RC4, PGP, SSL, AES, DES, 3DES blah blah blah.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

Ah crap, time to buckle down then.

It's nothing to worry about. Its not very in depth at all. Read the book and you'll do fine.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Elucidarius posted:

Ugh, I just registered for the Security+ for the 29th of this month. I'm kinda nervous because every practice test/sample question test I've taken I've gotten an 85%. Guess it's time to up my studying more!

Don't sweat it. Remember that CompTIA weights questions whereas practice tests don't, and nobody knows how they do it except CompTIA themselves. It not as simple as 1 question = 1 point. This may or may not work in your favor.

What are you having trouble with? If you don't have more meatier certs coming up, consider (ab)using CBTnuggets one week trial and watch the Security+ vids. I only signed up for it literally the day before the test, but it covered some gaps they were present from using just the Gibson book.

Security+ is the probably the easiest cert you'll ever get. Don't underestimate it, but don't freak out either.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Is there a book Goon-admins prefer for MCSA 2012? I'm really considering earning it this year.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Elucidarius posted:

So, I'm taking the Security+ tomorrow and am really nervous. I'm a generally poor test taker to begin with.

Anyone have any last minute study suggestions? I've gone through 2 different books, made a ton of flash cards that I've memorized, and watched a couple of the cbt nugget videos. Am I preparing for the worst when it really won't be all that bad? I have zero clue what to expect.

You're good, just relax.

Don't underestimate it, but it's babby's first certification. If you really prepared for it, you should have no trouble.

REMEMBER THIS posted:

If you get stuck on a tough question, just make your best guess. Questions are weighted differently and may not even count at all.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

incoherent posted:

It depends on how badly you want them. Microsoft test are the worst of the bunch in terms of taking. If you dedicated yourself you could get the MCSA in 6-8 months, but thats an ideal timeframe with the person ALREADY being familiar with core server concepts.

Thanks for the info. I'm aiming for MCSA 2012 but I'm kind of overwhelmed as it is far less by the numbers compared to S+ and I'm not even sure what I should be studying or how long I should be studying before taking an exam.

70-410 seems fairly straightforward as it's just installation and config, but what do I know?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

incoherent posted:

Microsoft tests will gently caress you. I know where you're coming from with being overwhelmed: window server is a lot of poo poo, and its a lot of poo poo nobody uses in real life. Nobody uses NLB, they use real load balancers. Nobody deploys the free version of sharepoint willingly. Hyper-v is a bitch to manage, because all of the useful features to manage it are locked behind SCCM.

Any more tips? I fixed up a Dell Precision from work and have server 2012 on it. I have Mastering Server 2012 by Minasi and the MS Press books for 70-410.

Anybody here take 70-410 already? How long should I study for before taking it? I'd like to pass at least that so I can show that I'm putting my money where my mouth is and that I'm serious about going the sysadmin route.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

That ends on May 31st.

I guess I have my work cut out for me. It's fine though, I've taken entire college courses that happen in about the same amount of time, usually 4 deep. MS tests are legendary for how obtuse the questions are, even the Security+ book referenced their style.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

beepsandboops posted:

I'm rolling through Gibson's Security+ book and it all seems in reach except for the cryptography section. Any recommendations for resources to help my crypto knowledge? I'm more or less starting from scratch.

Remember having to do vocabulary or history in school?

Pretty much the same thing. There is almost nothing technical about it. The hardest thing was how public-private keys are used, which is logical enough anyway.

Don't think you can just breeze through it, but it's the easiest certification you'll ever get.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

m.hache posted:

Failed the 410 again. The tests are ridiculous.

about 30% of it was Hyper-V questions, and all the problem areas that it told me to study last time didn't even show up. Not a single File Permission question to be found where the last exam was inundated with them.

I can't afford to take the test again currently and honestly I don't know if I want to. I don't have the resources to effectively study for the thing and work isn't paying for any of this.

Maybe I'll try to find another cert I can hammer out in the meantime so I can land into a better company and take it from there.

Has anyone here passed the 74-410 2012 R2 yet? And if so, are you administering the thing Daily as part of your job?

I'm thinking of canceling my 70-410 appointment at the end of the month. I haven't had my heart in studying at all and I honestly don't even know where to begin. If you're on your second go and studying and still can't sink it, there's no hope for me.

I was going to go for second shot, but I'll just end up feeling bad about myself.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

How are people supposed to get a cert if the only way to pass is to use it in a production environment, where most people would want you to have a cert to make sure you don't burn the place down?

I wonder if it's worth taking 2008 R2 instead or waiting to see what the 2016 exam is like. My shop is mostly 2008 at this point still. If they're going to be underhanded with their testing, I don't see why I need to waste money and time when there's another way.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Is Security+ as easy as it looks? I'm taking my test Saturday and everything I've run into so far seems like either fairly common knowledge or very surface level (pick the acronym that's an encryption protocol!). I'm almost worried that I'm going in overconfident.

It's the easiest cert you'll ever get. Take it seriously, but this is not one to lose sleep over.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Doug posted:

I've got an opportunity to teach Security+ at a local community college in the fall but I don't have the cert. I've got 5 years of industry experience, CEH and GIAC certs but I just skipped over Sec+. I imagine I could pass it without study but I just can't mentally do it. What's the go to Sec+ book?
Thread OP has the book, the same one they mentioned by Gibson. I used it too.

Messer is good as well. Cbtnuggets is helpful, but don't burn your free trial for it. I also bought Gibson's audio offerings, which are the shaded parts if the book and the Q&A.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

poo poo not pissing me off: The cover of the O'Reilly Active Directory book.

Kitties!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Before I started studying for the CCNA it intimidated me, because all I knew was that it was a really tough tech cert. Now that I have it, I look at the CCNP the exact same way. I know all I have to do is start studying but hell if it doesn't look like a mountain from this side.

I'm pretty intimidated by 70-410 myself. I'm used to school where you knew more or less what to expect. Now I just have a nebulous list of objectives and some 2000 pages of material from various books that may not even be enough.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

All this talk about how bullshit MCSA is now is making want to go the ICND 1 and 2 route. I spoke to my manager and he named CCNA and VMWare certs as desired, he doesn't really care about the Microsoft stuff and I don't think anybody that's come up to the network team here since 2005 even has MCSA or equivalent.

Plus I've used the Lammle book (previous edition, and lent out anyway) for a college course on this, plus done some labs for the class, so it's not like I'm totally new.

I think I'll do it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Got the CCNA Laemmle book. I googled but is there any info on if they are going to make any of this stuff obsolete any time soon?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Jeoh posted:

Hey goons, Microsoft started offering their booster packs again, 1 exam and 4 retakes for 200 bucks. Applies to any exam iirc.

e: Here's a link now that I'm not on my phone: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/partner-offers.aspx

Haha. They make their MCSA tests artificially hard and then sell deals where you get 3 retakes.

"Boost the odds in your favor. Choose your Booster Pack and get ready to soar!"

The odds... I thought this was a test, not a gamble. I guess it is, you have to read and remember whatever minutia they test on that day.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Not looking for a certification per se, but anyone have a good resource for learning how to support Macs in a business setting? I'm looking at interviewing for a position in a Mac heavy environment.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

DrCommander posted:

I, too, applied at Salesforce.

(I'm kidding. When you say support, what level are you talking about? Helpdesk-ie or more of a backend?)

It's for executive support, so probably more helpdesk. It would also help in my current job since the new management insists upon Macs and our environment just wasn't built with them in mind.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Don't waste your time with A+. Network+ might be a decent intro to networking, but perhaps you might consider getting a vendor cert like CCNA instead? How much time do you have to do it?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Well, what do you do want actually do with these certs? Do you have a career goal in mind?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Loose Ifer posted:

I want to be a server administrator eventually. I've been a helpdesk jockey for about 6 years and finally have some urge to advance. So i'm trying to find the best path to get there from where i'm at now.

Pick one you can stick with and at least semi-enjoy. Although you're a little hamstrung in that MCSA is a bullshit test atm.

I guess you could do what I'm doing and take the first half of CCNA, ICND1. Any admin will have to know networking even they don't touch the switches and it's more beefy than N+.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Those who have passed ICND2, how long did it take you from when you passed ICND1 to when you passed ICND2? Just trying to get a feel for how much time I can expect to need before even considering taking it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Son of a bitch, really? How long do we have?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

God drat it! No wonder Laemmle said he was making a new edition

What happens if I get test 1 done in the summer? Do I just take the updated test 2 when I'm ready or should I even bother?

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 17, 2016

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Renegret posted:

Yeah, that's my plan

3 months should be plenty

Me too. We're gonna make it buddy :hfive:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I thought Level 3 was the infrastructure stuff and Level 2 was the onsite computer janitors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Finally, finally passed ICND2 earlier this morning on my second attempt. Scored an 862.

I got almost the exact same questions (which I had gone back and studied) I did the first time, and the area I did badly on before, IP Services, I scored 100% on. I'm almost worried about verification, because it's such a big jump compared to my first attempt in that section, but I know I'm just being dumb.

Anyway, I'm finally (preliminarily) a CCNA. Hooray. I know I'm just touching on the lucrative certs but I'm probably taking a few months off from studying for anything cert related unless work wants me to do it on paid time. Just need a break from feeling like I need to do anything but relax with my family when I'm home.

Congrats! :yotj: How long did it take you from when you started to now?