Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

There actually are a few "Under which sub-section is command x found" questions in the included cert guide practice test, and if those are actually on the real test, I might be mad.
They are. Retaking 640-554 at the end of the month. Missed by two questions, mostly the ccp specific questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

udemy still has the ten dollar course sale going on.

https://www.udemy.com/courses/

If you're going down the Cisco track, Chris Bryant's material is pretty great. Sitting for my CCNP Route 300-101 test next week and his stuff on BGP has been excellent.

EDIT: Guess the sale is still going for a little while longer:

https://www.udemy.com/courses/featu...e&utm_term=hero

gooby pls fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 12, 2015

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

300-101 down. Can't believe the amount of sims they thew at me. Keith Barker's CBT Nuggets hands on labs covered quite a bit of it, anyone taking 300-101 should definitely have a look at those. On to Switch!

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Netmon, most functions of SNMP, acl logging but that's more for understanding as your not asked on it for R&S.

Does CCP work through gns3? CCNA security relies on it heavily and the packet tracer isn't compatible at all

Yeah, I think I wound up importing a VirtualBox Win 7 VM with CCP installed into the GNS3 topology. Worked fine for my CCNA Sec. Also, gently caress CCP.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

We we're just talking about the CCNA Sec. Heads up, cisco may be updating/retiring the test: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/87198

TSHOOT scheduled for next Wednesday, and I must say going through Keith Barkers hands on exam prep nugget series has probably been the most fun I've had studying for a test. Lot's of varied issues that get you very intimate with the lab topology.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Garrand posted:

I've been kind of studying on and off but not really putting myself into it so I went ahead and scheduled the CCENT for the end of October to push myself.

Oh god I hope I didn't just waste 150 bucks.

You can reschedule any time up to 24 hours before the test. I'm the same way, a hard deadline helps to keep the heat on and actually get me to study. Get your subnetting down and you'll be fine.I

http://www.subnettingquestions.com/

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

And vishing, and bluesnarfing, and man traps. So many man traps.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yeah I just have R&S. Haven't really thought the CCNP-Security as something I want just yet.

I'm thinking about CCNP Sec as I just finished CCNP R/S and have my CCNA Sec and Sec+.

Anyone finish the CCNP Sec stuff recently? 4 tests sounds like a pain in the dick. It took me ~8 months just to get through the 3 tests and material for R/S, not really looking forward to 4 tests/books.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Took and passed CCNP Security: 300-208 yesterday. What a garbage exam. Never seen so may spelling errors and the "sims" are just screenshots of ISE that have clickable links when you highlight over something important. I'd skip the ccnp sec completely, but welp, sunk cost fallacy and work is paying for it.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Jedi425 posted:

Taking my CCNP Route in a few days, and I'm having a little freak out. I took the Cisco class a few months ago (the five-day one), I've watched the whole CBT Nuggets series, and I still feel like I've barely gotten into the stuff I'm going to be tested on. The test practice engine (Pearson's) that came with my OCG is terrifyingly written. Am I about to waste $250 bucks, or does the Cisco class literature do a good job of covering everything? Anyone who's taken the test recently have any advice?

Hopefully my test doesn't bug out; I've never been to this testing center before, so I don't know how lovely the hardware is.

Keith Barker's cbt nuggets hands on route labs were probably the most important thing that helped me pass route. If you master those labs then the sims will be easy points.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

For those working on CCNA Security - a guy on reddit finally received a response from Cisco.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ccnas/comments/4ckcld/210260_exam_update/

quote:

Regarding my recent support case raised with the Cisco Certification & Communities Support team, I have recieved the below response regarding my experience with the exam sims:

"I just received a response from our Exam Development Manager. Our Manager stated that as the result of extensive review of your exam in collaboration with our test developers, testing vendor and technical staff, it has been determined that they have asked the developer to fine tune the simulations to make it work smoothly for all candidates. They highly suggested that you wait until after April 2, 2016 since they are having the exam updated. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you'll continue to pursue your goal."

So for anyone looking to take the exam soon, I think this is a good sign that Cisco are taking proper action regarding the exam simulations.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

crunk dork posted:

I bought all of the CCNP RS EBooks when they were on sale the other day. Is there a preferred order to take the exams?

Save tshoot for last as it builds upon both route/switch knowledge. As far as route and switch order, it all depends. I'm primarily a switch guy so I knocked out switch first then spent the rest of my time on route.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

CCNP Security down.

I think this took me over 3 years on and off. No official cert guides (save for the SISAS), just ine.com, the Cisco boot camps, and recommended reading lists. The tests are pretty atrocious as well, riddled with spelling errors and bugged labs.

A weight has been lifted. Thinking either CEH or CISSP next, after I finish this python for network engineers email course.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Passed Cisco DevNet associate. Very cool exam and material for anyone looking to get into network automation/programmability. Test seemed to have less of the Cisco gotcha questions found on ccna/ccnp. Shoutout to the nice online proctor that requested that I unplug my printer that was half way across my home office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

hogly reliable.