Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but would it be wise to take MOOCs from Coursera, eDx, and Udemy before attempting to get these certifications? Asking because I'd prefer a more fast-tracked solution than multiple years of CompSci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

xThrasheRx posted:

I was all book and did some examcompass practice tests. The examcompass tests are not very helpful in learning how the questions are at all.

edit: Also should probably note that I have a Masters in information security and pretty good general computer knowledge. So I didnt just skim a book and think I should be able to make it. From what i'm told the earlier exams was easier and had a different direction.

How many non-MC questions were there and were they difficult?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

CISSP exam passed. I'd call it a very fair test. Can't memorize your way through it. Mostly value questions using words like BEST or MOST or FIRST. Hit me with any questions, I'll tell you what I can.

What study materials did you use and rate how well each prepared you for the exam?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Is ITIL worth doing after Network+ or Security?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Passed my Security+ with a 782. Fml the performance based questions were harder then the Gibson practice ones. Rushed the last 20 minutes too and barely finished.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Bloodborne posted:

Curious - do you have any work experience in security or is this cert your entry?

Entry, plus zero I.T experience. Took a couple of Udemy courses though.

Can't decide what cert I should aim for next CEH, SSCP or GIAC. Are these considered intermediate?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just passed my CISSP! SO glad to be done studying for this thing and having my evenings back.

Now I just need to go through the endorsement process and pay them more money to be certified. Hoping to use this to pivot towards more IT security oriented work.

Congrats. What material did use for study and how similar was it to the exam?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

https://passcomptia.com/comptia-security/comptia-security-simulation-1/

There where like three simulations ripped from the exam here. Wasn't really expecting that to be honest, I just wanted more PBQ's to get comfortable with and didn't feel like paying more.

Congrats dude.

Had this one when I did mine 2 years ago. Shame my study materials (Dion Udemy, Gibson GCGA) didn't have it. Still passed though so can't complain.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Sneaky Wombat posted:

It took me 2 months longer than it should have, but I got my network+ cert. Security+ is already in the bag. Passed by the skin of my teeth so my test prep needs work.

My man :respek:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

FlyTB20C posted:

I'd like to thank everyone who recommended Boson practice tests for CISSP - I really think those practice tests were what pushed me over the edge to pass. Good grief that exam was a beast and I'll be happy to never see it again. :)

Congrats.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

FCKGW posted:

AWS is by far the biggest at 32%, Azure at 20% and Google Cloud at 9%. There's a smattering of smaller companies and China-only services like Alibaba and Tencent that make up the rest.

I did Azure cert because Microsoft was giving away free test vouchers and I found their training material on the website pretty good and easy to digest.

Curious where did you got those percentages?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

https://www.udemy.com/course/network_plus_exam

may get the N10-007 pack tomorrow. Is 6 exams enough tho? I assume you can retake them, its just 6 variants?

Pretty much, though there will be a few recycled questions. Most of the performance based ones should be different though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Passed CySA+ with a 758. The Dion practice tests did not help me as much this time. :toot:

That and the wording of a few of the questions confused me :shrug: