Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So for those people who were purely self study, did you form any special habits or anything to help you get through?

I've been a lazy (depressed) rear end in a top hat for the better part of a year now, but I really want to get my MCSA as right now I'm just some schlub comcast tech support. I've always struggled to teach myself anything from scratch; I've always worked much better in a structured environment like a classroom, or an environment with hands on learning, but that's not really an option so I'm trying to figure out the best ways to light a fire under my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Sacred Cow posted:

If you really want to put a fire under your rear end, register and pay for the 70-410 test right now for a month in the future. That's your deadline. It'll prepare you for your future career as a system admin.

I was actually aiming for 70-680 and 70-685 first, as it seemed more up my alley (Windows 7 and Desktop support) since I don't have any professional experience whatsoever. I'm...uh not making a mistake, am I? It has more to do with personal preference, right? I wouldn't just be throwing hundreds of dollars down the drain? As someone still on the outside it's kind of difficult to figure out what will best land me a decent job with learning opportunities. Also not sure what certs will be considered outdated sooner than others.

MJP posted:

I'm in the same boat. A combination of realizing I'd get nowhere without it, bonuses for passing tests, and the fact that I hated helpdesk/user support with such a passion was basically it. Motivation is key.

Make yourself do it. Spend your lunch breaks in a quiet place studying.

If you're not a book learner, repetition is going to be key.

1) Read through the prep book. Write down everything that is a fact, action, statement, Thing to Know, etc. Do the exercises as you go. It's very easy to spin up VMs in Virtualbox and you can get the isos for free if you sign up for evaluations.
2) Read through the preo book again. Highlight all the facts/actions/statements, etc. This is to reinforce what you wrote down.
3) Go back and write down what you highlighted. Reconcile it against your 1st round write-downs.
4) Redo the exercises and scenarios.
5) Go through published exam objectives. Try doing them in your test environment.
6) Go through your highlighted/written notes and get a reputable test-prep set of questions that aren't braindumps.
7) Schedule your exam with another couple of weeks to ensure you've got everything down cold, but only when you're ready.

I'd budget 3-4 months per exam to be 100% certain, but YMMV.

Good advice. 3 months is probably enough for the 680 for me; I recently stumbled on Professor Messer's videos for the 680 and they seem both comprehensive and at the right pace to keep me from falling asleep.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I've been kind of studying on and off but not really putting myself into it so I went ahead and scheduled the CCENT for the end of October to push myself.

Oh god I hope I didn't just waste 150 bucks.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

As far as job searching and adding to my resume, just how useful is the CCENT itself? I, of course, plan on going to get my full CCNA but it will probably be some time between getting the CCENT and being prepared to actually take the ICND2.

I ask because I'm really trying to get my foot in the door in IT (I work retail now. Everything I'm doing is entirely self taught / from books / online sources) and I"m desperately hoping this will get me something more on paper than just the A+ I already have.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Obviously can't speak to 5 years ago but nowadays you're paying Pearson directly, not any specific testing center. While there are definitely testing centers that are better than others they can't just vanish and take your money with them. I'll second trying to take it at a local university or community college; they often have an area and staff designated for these kinds of tests so they'll usually have a competent setup.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Well, wasn't the point of most certifications that you had some experience/knowledge and could be considered a professional/expert in that field? But then employers just started slapping them on as pre-reqs to get those jobs in the first place?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I don't remember anything like that from when I took the tests but it's been close to a year now.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure he's just trying to get young girls into tech!. Right? RIGHT!?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

How useful is the Sec+ for someone who doesn't really have any professional IT experience yet? I'm A+ certified. I've thought about taking the Net+ but if I'm going to be spending 300 bucks on a cert I'd rather it be something a bit more useful (unlike the aforementioned A+). My only real exp. is a 6 month stint as comcast phone support which I hated so much I went back to being a retail manager. I never want to be phone support again, but I still want to get into IT.

I'm assuming the sy0-401 version of the book linked in the OP would be the suggested study material?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know why, but I have the damndest time keeping track of the various layers; either OSI or TCP/IP models. I can't seem to cement in my mind what the layers are and what they mean. I've got subnetting down pat and I'm good with most other networking subjects.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Thanks for all the mnemonics

This is what I really need to do; it's keeping straight what each layer is supposed to mean and what happens that's causing me trouble.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Last I checked doing both tests vs all at once was like a 5 dollar difference.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Are there any reputable voucher resalers or anything? I've heard of getting vouchers for cheaper because they are near expiration and I'm looking to take my ICND1 soon but money's tight so it would be nice if I could get some discount to it. I just don't know if those exist for the cisco exams.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I decided to give the google thing a shot because of the free 7 day trial. Starts off super basic, which is what I'm expecting, but what I wasn't expecting is the complete lack of quality control.

I hate video so I've just been reading the transcripts, which are just the subtitles, but there's tons of stuff like this

I'm assuming they just used whatever automatic subtitling stuff they have and didn't bother to proofread any of it. This was just the funniest one to me but there's tons of other errors too.

Rofl, and now the transcript for the current video is just straight up for the wrong page. Jesus Google

I guess I'm just live posting my experiences now. Anyway

(The answer they are looking for is 256)

Garrand fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

wargames posted:

256 because you also count 0

Yeah but the question is what is the highest value you can get, not how many different values are there