Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How in depth does the Network+ go into subnetting? Lammle's is going pretty hard at the material in his Network+ book and I wonder if he's doing so because it's his cup of tea or Comptia requires that much understanding of subnetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dexo posted:

Do you know what the Class A/B/C default Address Masks are.

Yes.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is it enough to land a help desk position with just the A+ and Network+ but no experience? The job postings in my area almost always stress previous experience no matter what the position is.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DGK2000 posted:

Man, here I was all worried when I was handed a voucher two weeks ago for the network+ that expired tomorrow. I sat for the cert today after a hard night of drinking and passed it with only having really studied for about 4 days.

Were you already familiar with the material? Cause otherwise, wow.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DGK2000 posted:

I mean, I've plugged in my own routers and setup my wireless networks. I've also played a bit with virtual machines. But aside from that and building my own computers, not really.

Is it worth getting the A+ if I already have the Network+?

Depends on your goals.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DGK2000 posted:

Getting an AS degree, probably getting stuck in helldesk. Fairly interested in being a network admin, but I think the CCNA is a ways down the road for me.

Though I already have an AS degree, I'm pretty much on the same plan, and count on A+ and N+ being enough to secure an entry level gig. So, unless money is an issue, I would say getting the A+ can't hurt.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SaltLick posted:

That is pretty much the purpose of those certs. Anything that says 2 years of experience of help desk is bullshit. Get A+ and apply. Hell you could probably put in your résumé "persuing A+ certification" and get hired.

Here's the typical job posting in my area:

https://jobs-intellidyne.icims.com/jobs/1870/job?mode=job&iis=Indeed&iisn=Indeed.com

quote:

Qualifications
Required Qualifications & Education:
•Bachelor’s Degree is required or 5 years of Specialized Experience (IT Tier II support with basic networking)
•CompTia A+, Network+, or Security+ required. Or must possess within 6 months of date of hire.
•Minimum of 5 years of enterprise experience in commercial or government environment.
•Familiar with all standard MS Office software systems.
•Possess knowledge of workstation administration, troubleshooting, and management including imaging.
•Basic network support experience to include account administration in active directory environment.

Should I be saying "screw it" and send my resume to such jobs anyway?

forever gold fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 14, 2013

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Senor Science posted:

I have a question concerning the A+. I'm looking to getting both of my A+/N+ in the next few weeks to help me get into an entry level IT job and to pad up my resume.

Is there any difference in taking either the 220-701/220-702 series or the 220-801/220-802 to certify for the A+? The wordage on the CompTia website leads me to believe that taking either series of exams results in the same certification, but I'd like to clear it by the thread first before I sign up.

The test version doesn't matter, but the newer version has a revised syllabus and a few simulations.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

lazypeterson posted:

I'm looking to get A+ certified in about a month and I was wondering if the CompTIA/Sybex books would be beneficial, or if it'd be a waste of money when there seems to be so much free info available online. The practice exam portion of the link on the OP thread is currently down, does anyone have any links to other practice exams?

As far as studying, is my best approach to be finding a practice exam and studying the subject matter for questions I'm not sure about? The CompTIA book is 1000+ pages and judging from everything I've read, reading the entire manual for this exam is probably going overboard.

Depends on your familiarity with the material. I didn't know much about computers and I found reading one of those thick books (the Sybex one) to be illuminating. I hear the Michael Myers book is less dry though. That said, I bet you can absorb the material just through the web and the Professor Messer videos. Prof Messer even has a great deal of practice questions on his website compiled over the last few years that are quite similar to the ones on the test.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I passed the Network+ today. I also have the A+.

Are Windows 7 certs worth getting?

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is a CCNA without experience worthless?

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psydude posted:

so long as you're not a dumbass

Explain.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Corvettefisher posted:

Only if you CertKing'd it(course any cert is at that point). If you actually set up the labs(even packet tracer is head and sholders above most), and read the material it is full of worth.

I see people on other tech forums and youtube going crazy with the labbing, having a full rack of switches/routers and whatnot. Curious how much of that is necessary. Makes the whole thing seem a bit daunting.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just remember that the simulations at the beginning are weighed more towards your score. After I completed them, the test picked up from question 21.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Perfect score, nice.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey guys, CCNA is totally harder than Network+. Heads up bros.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doug posted:

What's the best book for the new CCNA? Is it still just the Odom Cisco Press book? There's no chance I can be ready to test by September and I figure I might as well get a jump on the new one since that's what will be required for retests.

I hear a lot of people saying this, but man, you have four months. That's like an academic semester.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hit a snag in my CCNA studies...I've spent about 6 days on Lammle's chapter on VLANs...maybe I'm just burned out. Is that the hardest topic on the syllabus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alctel posted:

Just redoing my CCENT from 4 years ago since apparently they expire after 3 years. Lots of differences, it's a lot better laid out now (Cisco Press)

Good Points: No more ring network stuff, Almost no OSI stuff, routing/WAN section is a lot better laid out and easier to understand

Bad Stuff: IPv6 fuuuuccccckkkkkk yooooooooooooooooooooooou

I'm slowly working through Lammle's book, and the problem isn't that any of the material is hard but just there is so much of it. So, so much.