Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Does Lammle cover extraneous stuff in his 5th edition book? He's generally readable, but it's hard to tell when he's just cramming in networking information that's good to know for its own sake versus stuff that's critical to the test. Example: The concluding section of the VLANs chapter is called "Telephony: Configuring Voice Vlans." It's just two pages, but it's pretty dense stuff. He even says those two pages are the hardest section of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Sheesh. Todd Lammle's chapter on WANs (last chapter of book) is mind numbingly boring and dense.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl

moron posted:

You're so right. I literally just finished that chapter last night and it was painful - it felt like it was never going to end.

The WAN chapter felt hard because he was covering a broad and complex subject, but wasn't doing it in enough depth to properly explain things, which made it difficult to fully grasp some of the concepts IMO. I had to rely on wikipedia and watching CCNA youtube videos whilst doing the chapter to fill in the blanks.

I can appreciate that he's sticking to the CCNA syllabus and avoiding straying too far off course, but still...

Well put, glad it's not just me.

Anonymous Coward posted:

Maybe it worked - wireless topics have been dropped from the revised curriculum.

That was actually a good idea because Lammle's chapter on Wireless felt like pure fluff, no more complex than how Wireless is covered on the Comptia Network+.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl

horchata posted:

So I'm thinking of quitting my dead-end call center job and finally pursuing getting an A+ and N+ certification since I've always wanted to get into IT. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable when it comes to assembling/disassembling computers and basic troubleshooting. Should I bother taking classes or is buying a study guide and studying for the text all I really need. The only reason I ask is the adult school 5 minutes away offers classes for fairly cheap.

Those certs are fairly easy to get, and I got them within the past year and actually have had trouble finding good work with just them alone, but perhaps you'll have more luck with your call-center experience. In any case, as I said, they're fairly easy certs to get and you can self-train easily, but if you need a class to stay focused then by all means do so. Solo study can be so boring.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Having job experience is definitely worth more than the N+ so I get what you're saying.

My aunt's friend is a project manager for a networking company and is guiding me along which certifications to get in order to land a job the fastest. She advised the N+ as network 101 to make the CCNA easier. Upon nearing the end of the N+ I started looking at jobs, and asked "Is the A+ worth picking up?" She said not to waste my time, the CCNA will land me a job I want and the A+ will land me in Hell Desk where I would work up to that job I want.

I've had difficulty securing a help desk job with the A+ and Network+ as someone with no experience in the field. For me, Hell Desk sounds nice. And I live in an area where IT is huge. Just fyi.

A lot of people think get basic certs ----> easy to find job but that really isn't the case.

Beware.

jane came by fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 5, 2013

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
I'm not sure if I asked this before, but can Lammle and Odom's materials for the 2007 edition of the CCNA be used over their new books for the new test if you're planning to take the new test? Are the new tests really that different or do they just rearrange, remove and add a few things?

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Jayo posted:

Can anyone in the uk recommend a decent long distance college/website offering comptia a+? There are hundreds of sites offering certifications and I am very dubious as to their quality. Many thanks

Don't bother. Just use Professor Messer. It's free.

http://www.professormesser.com/

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Does the new CCNA not test Access Lists? According to this:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/docs/icnd_examUpdates.pdf

...the topics "Securing the network/securing the expanded network" have been removed from the exams, and no mention is made of access-lists on the exam topics.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
The discussion touching on the future of networking gear/vendors is interesting, because I'm wondering as someone studying for the ccna if all this effort will be pointless a few years from now when some better and simpler technology comes along.

BigT said: "Ummmm what part did say I overlook people with a CCNEt? I said i prefer net+ to ccnet i never said it was a requirement. Your cisco certs are still good. Don't get too worked up now. "

Supposedly the new CCENT is as challenging as the old CCNA. They moved a bunch of topics from icnd 2 to the CCENT.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Aren't they retiring MCCA 2008 tests in January?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
So what's the best option right now for getting an MCSA...go for the 2008 and then upgrade or just dive into the 2012 series of tests?