Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Tomorrow I take my S+

Finished the book in the OP, and went through the practice test (93/100).

I'm looking for online practice exams (was hoping for one of those that has a pool of 400 or something) and this is the top result:

http://www.proprofs.com/mwiki/index.php/Comptia_Security+_Certification_Exam

Most of these questions aren't covered at all in the book, so now I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if this is from an older version?

Is there a better practice resource that I'm not finding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Probably too late now, but Darril Gibson has a pool of 468 questions for 15 bucks on his site here http://gcgapremium.com/security/ptqs/

Starting this as soon as I get my 70-680 done next week.

An instructor told me "If you study Gibson's book and go over those questions, I gaurantee you'll pass first try"

Then I asked him if that was a financial guarantee and he said no. But I am holding him to it.

It was too late, but I passed. Get Gibson's book, it's $10 for kindle. Amazingly comprehensive.

On to CCNA or something else now. Tried it back in 2004 and failed by something like 8 points. Never took it again due to my life going to poo poo.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 27, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Passed the 70-680!

Now onto the more daunting Security+.

Get Gibson's book and you'll find it hardly daunting.

He brings about the concepts amazingly well, especially when dealing with asymmetric encryption (public / private key)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm hitting it hardcore on Sec+ now.

I've got Gibson's book and also 2 months of full access to his website (the $39.99 package here. I'm listening to mp3's during my 45 minute commute every day, studying the practice test questions any moment of free time I have at work, reading through the book for clarification, and also I made a csv for all port numbers and abbreviations that I'm working on memorizing on a flash card app on my phone, and also watching the CBT nuggest when I get a chance...

Since right now I'm taking it all in with no filter, I guess what I want to ask is how should I prioritize? What would you say is the most important aspect of studying for Sec+? I'm already eating, drinking, and breathing everything Darril Gibson, I'm just wondering how I should focus it in. I've heard memorizing the port numbers is imperitive, so I'm just wondering what other pointers you guys can give.

For context: When I studied for MCTS, I went chapter by chapter and waited until I felt I had completely mastered each chapter before I moved onto the next. This method worked (passed first try) but I feel like there should be a more effective way of studying for these things...

Down and dirty, all aspects and how they relate to CIA, RAS and a lot about encryption. Make sure you understand asymmetric encryption... Gibson's box analogy works perfectly. Familiarize yourself with how hashing works, and lastly BIA and testing such as black/white box, penetration, etc

Remember that IPSec and NAT don't get along. Understand tunneling and stuff.

Pretty much everything. The main thing I can tell you is to just simply understand the concepts and what needs to be done over focusing on specifics (except maybe bit sizes of specific hashes)

The rest is simple stuff like virus types, malware classifications, and to be honest common sense stuff.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ZergFluid posted:

Todd Lammle says that the new CCENT is harder than the old CCNA. Is he exaggerating?

Halfway through studying with the combined R&S book I realized it would be easier to do the split test.

Having taken the CCNA back in 2006 I can already say it's much more comprehensive.

Thankfully it seems to have finally gotten rid of AppleTalk, netBEUI, vampire taps, and other old stuff... I hope.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

psydude posted:

S+ is probably the most straightforward exam I've ever taken. Do exactly what Gibson tells you, don't overthink it, and you'll pass with like an 890. Like exactly an 890.

Or an 836...

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

NippleFloss posted:

Got my CCNA DC today, if anyone is looking at going that route and has any questions. There's no book out for the DCICT exam yet, so if you're looking for pointers on what to study I can tell you what helped me.

I'm thinking along the lines of getting R&S before the DC since it's more marketable, how much of R&S is covered under the DC exam?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

Stanley email came today. I'll be in the class starting May 19th.

:toot:

Lucky bastard.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

That's awesome. How many sims did you have?

When I took mine I had 2. Apparently I was lucky?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

Stanley is adding additional sections for the Summer VMWare course and is emailing people. Keep checking your spam if you're on the waitlist.

Nothing yet but still keeping a fervent eye out.

Maybe I should poke them with a stick, see if I can nudge in there.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

My work has offered to cover my VCP5-DCV class and exam, trying to find the best class area in northern virginia is proving to be a pain in the rear end.

Has anyone taken the 5 day in this area, where there are good instructors and actually physical labs to where I can get the most out of this (most say boot camp and I despise that term when it comes to IT training)

Edit: also the fast track sea more comprehensive. If I've played a bit with Vsphere and have a grasp of the basic concepts, is it a better option?

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 5, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

They kind of care about pricing, i have about 4k as a max. I need to show them receipt of taking the course, that's it really.

Any book recommendations? I believe they also give you a trial copy of the Host at home?

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 5, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Thank you, I'll pick that up.

The course days are paid days (not against accrued PTO), and given they're covering it, seems it would be better than me spending time at home going through the course.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'd hope my resume isn't bad considering I spent money on it, but that might be possible. The problem I've been finding is that real junior networking positions seem to be somewhat rare, and IT position terminology is at the point where I'm not really sure where I should be looking (network administrator/network technician/NOC technician/NOC support/etc show up in my search history, and it still seems like I'm missing something). A lot of the positions seem to be looking for some jack-of-all-trades support guy who can effortlessly transition from working on network issues to doing SysAdmin stuff (the amount of CCNA/MCSA Required positions I've seen is surprising). I have no interest in Sysadminning.

I'm in VA, which has a lot of IT, and a lot of government contractors. I have an inactive Secret, which is better than nothing, I guess. With six years of development experience, I'd like to skip helpdesk if possible, but I've grown discouraged in the last month since getting the CCNA.

FWIW, this is the type of position I've been applying for, but I've started sending out resumes to non-salaried helpdesk positions that seem to have an emphasis on networking.

https://careers-chesbank.icims.com/jobs/1012/network-administrator/job

There's an obscene amount of CCNA level work being done at Quantico. They just started a major Navy-wide overhaul and are picking up every IT person they can. Check HP and AT&T.

Recruiter exclusives just ended last week.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ITIL is one of he best current resume padders apparently. My coworker spent an afternoon reading up on it and passed with ease. HR and recruiters seem to get a hard-on for it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

6675636b20796f75 posted:

Talk about virtualization and then get even basic virt certs. The Navy is big on that right now.

Do you have your security+ cert?

Do you happen to be in on those new Quantico contracts? I'm looking for somewhere closer to home (Stafford)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fatal posted:

I was pretty perplexed about this when I got a letter saying as such. Welp, guess I've got some sort of security clearance now, I feel like a secret agent :coal:

Not a clearance, just a prerequisite. Sec+ is approved as well.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

orange sky posted:

So if I want to go down the virt path should I just go straight for the VCP or ...? What should I begin doing? I'm going to start reading the mastering vsphere book soon, after I do my CCNA.

Just be ready to shell out $4k for the required class, and that doesn't cover the exam. On top of that even VMware says the class doesn't touch the scope of the exam, you'll need to do a lot on your own.

I'm on a similar path to you at the moment, CCENT around the end of this month, then either CCNA R&S or Data Center- I want to do the DC as it's the end goal of where I want to end up, however the R&S is a solid foundation if I don't end up touching the Nexus IOS. So I'm not sure.

Either way I hope to have the full CCNA within the next couple months, and only then focus on Virtualization. I'll have to brush up on Linux to apparently get some things done on the Luns... or something.

Anyway, for virt VCP is the way to go.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Moey posted:

Or take the Stanly CC course. Probably like a 3 month waiting list currently, but if you are paying for it yourself, well worth it.

I've been on the list twice, from August until December, then I re-registered in February and am still on it.

I was finally able to convince my company to fund it thankfully.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 19, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

NippleFloss posted:

I just passed the VCP-550 and the CCNA DC exams within the past few months, if you have any questions.

So far they provide 30 days of remote lab stuff, what else can I use other than the trial version?

Also not sure which book is best for 5.5

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Passed ICND1 today. Everything was going great with me taking my time and reading everything thoroughly. I was budgeting my time to maximize it, and on question 45/50 when suddenly it was a huge OSPF sim to diagnose adjacency issues (6 routers and 4 questions in the sim). Suddenly I was in panic mode. I couldn't remember anything, especially commands to do things like show hello timers. Half my commands weren't enabled on the sim.

Time was now at 6 minutes. I had to essentially guess rather than risk 5 unanswered questions.

Turned out ok, but still that was one hell of a curveball. I'll make sure to budget a 10 minute buffer next time.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I would say the vast majority involved subnetting, after that base configuration and for switches a couple about access aspects of port settings.

Most importantly be able to subnet in under a minute and you should be set.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The ICND 1 test consists of subnetting, subnetting, remote access, subnetting, protocols, MAC address tables, switch port security, subnetting, ospf, and subnetting.

e: also subnetting.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

MrBigglesworth posted:

I have subnetting down hard. What aspects of remote access are you referring to? Configuration of VTY lines?

I took it Tuesday

ssh, vty/con, service. local, input protocols.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

the real blah posted:

Well, you passed, but this is incorrect.

what? :psyduck:

That's exactly what a switch does with an unknown destination MAC.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Data Center doesn't use ICND1 as a prerequisite. Since you already took it, might as well finish and get a CCNA cert like R&S since it's only one exam.

I'm along the same path as you, and after thinking it over I'm going R&S to VCP to CCNADC.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Everyone on the Stanly wait list, check your emails.

I registered almost a year ago and got my notice for August's classes yesterday (I turned it down because I have alternate funding).

So if you get an email today about it, that was my slot and you're welcome.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Shortened syntax is allowed, as well as do. wr is still allowed but I heard it won't be for long.

What irked me on the exam were the limited commands where if I wanted to tshoot one way, I couldn't because the commands weren't in.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

God drat Odom likes to drone on about STP. Reading this section is an uphill battle. I understand it's not the most exciting aspect of switching but at least Jeremy tries to keep your attention in the CBT vids.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Docjowles posted:

I agree with Dilbert. If you have any relevant work experience at all, you're definitely beyond A+ and probably N+.

Your goal is to work in security? A CCNA-level understanding of networking is probably a very good idea. From there you may want to pursue some more security certs (besides S+). I won't speak to its actual merits but CISSP is one of those certs you often have to have to get your resume looked at even if the material is dumb.

More like CCNA security, and the lower level of CISSP- because in addition to the 5 years of actual work you need to also be vouched in.

Given the latest news released yesterday security seems to be just as lucrative as virtualization.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Check the cert section of the Cisco site. You get a digital copy of the CCNET, I for some reason you feel you need it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Digitalpope posted:

Well, that's the VMware vSphere course paid for with Stanley...now to wait on the rather ambiguous 'a few days before' instructor email telling me when they're happening...now to start playing with the Scott Lowe books between here and there. Many thanks to you guys for pointing out stanley's program at a very reasonable price....cert my way into my own :yotj:

I ended up accepting this class (opposed to the company offered bootcamp, to avoid being committed for a year). Looks like we will be in the same course.

I grabbed the required textbook, at first it seemed cheap until they charged a $20 shipping cost to it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Return it if you can. You wont need it at all. But the Scott Lowe book http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-VMware-vSphere-Scott-Lowe/dp/1118661141 instead.

poo poo. I'll see if I can cancel it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Race Realists posted:

MCSA or CCNA?

Which is more worthwhile to obtain?

What are you going to be doing? That's like asking "what's better, a tractor or dune buggy?"

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

^ A dune buggy, my god you're terrible at analogies.

It's been a long day. A long week. It's bad when your DB outages are reported by news outlets.

And agreed. The VCA is "I know enough to pitch virtualization to my company on VMware's behalf."

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Don't forget DoD IT requires a minimum S+

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Sickening posted:

It probably makes up such a small % of the job postings out there that its barely worth mentioning it much as we do.

I live in Northern Virginia, so anecdotally it's much more important.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

To start? ITIL first.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Radio Talmudist posted:

Do you guys have any tips for landing a helpdesk job?

I'm going to start studying for my CCNA soon and would like to couple my studies with my honest-to-god experience. I'm thinking of straight up volunteering, offering to shadow the helpdesks of nearby companies, maybe on the weekends or after work.

Just apply for them. What experience do you have? If you got nothing you're going to have a rough time with CCNA.

Also, CCNA doesn't do poo poo for helldesk. A+ pretty much covers that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

4 days until ICND2. I'm reviewing and breaking stuff in labs. Going to go over multi area ospf, first hop redundancy, frame relay, eigrp, and more STP than I ever want again. Anything I'm missing here?