Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hopefully posted to the appropriate thread this time!

So I'm semi regretting my career choice to do medical coding and billing, and a friend suggested I look into a CCNA and get Packet tracer to lab out scenarios. What books would you all recommend for CCNA prep? I was provided with some for Net+ certification and I imagine theres some overlap there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Does Messer have any CCNA 200-301 stuff? Not seeinhg it from Googling

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

so Im currently enrolled at local community college for a Net+ course, then a CCNA one next semester. Im considering dropping the CCNA plan tho and going for an entry level AWS cert on my own. Is that advisable? I imagine the CCNA and Net+ kind of overlap for entry level positions

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

so AWS networking cert plus CCNA would allow for possibly skipping helpdesk roles, while the same but with Net+ instead would mean helpdesk time is still almost certain?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fair enough, I will stay the course then and get Net+, CCNA, then try an AWS cert. Thanks!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That makes sense. I will have to ask about the manner of helpdesk work when I apply. I hope the non-reading from script type stuff is still remote friendly.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Blargh, Fundamentals EST full already :( Thanks for sharing tho!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Taking a Net + practice. First 20 questions from the pool are "You see traffic on THIS port. What is going on?"

Guess flashcard protocol/port memorization for something you would Google if even the slightest bit unsure about is the best way to handle that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

cage-free egghead posted:

Knocked out the AWS CCP early last week or week before and then got Cloud+ don't tonight. A surprisingly difficult exam but glad to have it done.

Now onto the AWS SAA, which hopefully isn't my last stop on the AWS train. But I also want to take some Kubernetes courses asap too but I can only learn so much at a time.

Hell yeah, nice work :)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

https://www.udemy.com/course/network_plus_exam

may get the N10-007 pack tomorrow. Is 6 exams enough tho? I assume you can retake them, its just 6 variants?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im currently in a course to prep for both CCNA and A+. I already a Net+ prep and am finalizing getting ready for the exam.

But Im wondering, should I drop A+ prep? I dont intend to take that exam. Im of the impression its laughed at. Am I mistaken?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hughmoris posted:

Said f it and took the test this evening. Passed with a 780. I'll take it!

I'll say that the exam was tougher than I expected for someone with zero prior exposure to security poo poo.

Congrats!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

cage-free egghead posted:

If you have an IT background already the A+ is a joke and would be a waste of money, IMO.

I do not :( Was planning on going into helpdesk with the Net+ and CCNA then go towards Jr Sysadmin stuff.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh christ, I think my voucher is for Testout Network Pro, not Comptia Net+ :psyduck:

I assume thats useless?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ahh ok thats the one I did. I did great in class but have been studying for Net+ and right when scheduling discovered the voucher was for that Testout cert instead. Was pretty upset tbh!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fantastic! 880 is drat good, congrats! Is it out of 900 like the others? Because if so, thats the highest Ive heard so far.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Taking the Net+ this Tuesday. Its extremely weird how much erroneously labeled study material there is for the N007 on free test sites etc. Stuff asking about SQL stuff which is never mentioned on the actual official material.

Just got to memorize the non-WAN 802.X standards and transciever stuff and I think I will be ready.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Failed Net+ with a 548. Did Udemy test and watched professer Messer vids, plus took as many free Net+ prep things as I could find online. Any suggestions on stuff to study before I schedule retake? Preferably <$20

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I think I came prepared for a test that doesn't exist. I was comfortably solid on my port numbers, my protocols, etc. I knew my 802.11 standards, IEEE standards. But then I got hit with scenario questions about situations in which I'd use "lesser" security mechanisms (and I use the term incorrectly probably, I apologize) than WPA2-CCMP and WPA-TKIP. The scenarios were what defeated me. Weird scenarios like:

"There's a warehouse where the folks inside use a proprietary scanning tool that isn't customizable and only lets you set a DHCP server. Its tied to a WAP in the corner of the warehouse. Workers complain that signal strength is bad in the opposite corner of the warehouse, and also that the office across the street is causing interference." and the answers were stuff like "Assign static addresses to the scanners, institute 2 factor authentication, assign a DNS server (???)" and other odd stuff when the logical answer to the question as presented wasn't available; that being "Move the WAP so it covers appropriately, adjust power settings/channels as needed to prevent conflict". It was such a weird question that I've tried Googling key words to see if it shows up on any study material, but maybe it was just one of those weird questions that aren't graded that Comptia throws on there. And the question as presented featured the term "device hardening" so maybe the WAP signal and office were red herrings, and the actual question was solely to increase the item security via 2FA? But on a device that is solely mentioned as having a customizable DHCP server setting, its sort of implied that 2FA would not be settable on device-side.

Some of the questions were kind of interesting scenarios, like an office next door to a radiologist that was having issues with EMI which was sensible, but then it says that the office was using Cat6a UTP, and none of the options for replacement were STP, which you'd think would be best for the situation next door. And the options were fiber, Cat7A UTP, and a few others. And the UTP there threw me, but thinking about it now the innate shielding probably meant it was the right answer... but does Cat7A UTP even exist? Its default shielded on a per-pair level, I thought. And no cost-concerns were cited, so why wouldn't I just use plenum-rated cable in that scenario if available by default (as it was also an option)? Final option was, if I remember right, single mode fiber for some reason.

Others were "You get a phone call from a guy at a conference who is very angry, and says the internet isnt working and he has a presentation due. What do you do?" and I had chosen the option "Check the device's performance baseline to see how bad the situation is vs normal" as a means of diagnosing the issue, but I'm even uncertain about stuff like that. Other options were "Remote restart the device" etc, which seemed irrelevant. I guess this was one of those "Steps to troubleshooting" questions, but I took my step to be as close to the "Diagnose the problem/gather information about the problem" as possible. No option to tracert or ping the device remotely.

Literally four of the questions were about hubs, and I had two about T1 lines lmao.

Errors were pretty scattershot across more or less everything, which wasn't very useful from a feedback perspective. I wish you were told what you had gotten wrong, but I guess I can see why they don't.

Worst (but also funniest probably?) part was when you complete the quiz, they do a survey on your information and it creates this sense of succesful completion. Then the final screen is "You failed btw, go check in with the front desk or schedule your free retry. Your feedback (and $340 presumably) mean a lot to us." My plan for now is to study for 2 weeks or so, and reschedule. But drat, this was a humbling experience. I was expecting at least a 600-something.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 2, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks for the tips! I grabbed a particular book that a friend suggested from that site. I will def have to try and find more appropriate test material now that Ive seen what the exam consists of, type of question wise.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The best method, that worked for me at least, was the "magic number" method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9jMFufqMgY

Seconding this. It rules.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Congratulations!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

is the AWS practitioner cert like Cisco A+ tier? Should it be skipped for Solutions Architect?

Sorry if this was covered recently, I just watched like 5 hours of Pluralsight practitioner stuff today at work and it seems very superficial.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ugh. Hate when you buy a 400 question test packet and 1/3 of the questions are repeats.

Thanks, Jason Fox!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Net+ mmmmmmACQUIRED

Only bullshit question that stuck with me this time was something about max permissible wattage over a certain type of ethernet cable.

Mike Myers stuff helped a ton. Prof Messer helped with the rest. 762, but gently caress it, I'll take it

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cyks posted:

Was the question regarding the cable or PoE/PoE+/PoE++ maximums cause if it was the former they are just asking people to use brain dumps for now on. There’s no way they are expecting people to know capabilities based off wiring thickness.

Unless the question was something like “what’s the maximum wattage you can power over fiber optics.”

It was "Which of these ethernet cable types can pass up to 55 watts?" Then had Cat 6, LC (throwaway choice) then two 802 3 standards.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Edit: disastrous attempted quote.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

navyjack posted:

Ok, taking my network+ in a week and a half, after passing Sec+ in Feb. I have a pretty good grip on subnetting, ports, and cabling bandwidth. Any other areas where I should be sure to memorize for test day? Like did you finish and were like “ooh I wish I’d memorized the difference between EAP, EAP-FAST, and LEAP or some other dumb poo poo?

The 802.11 standards in terms of operating frequencies, data throughput, etc. For the cabling stuff, be sure to know max lengths etc too as well as connector types for ethernet and fiber. Knowing basic differences between TACAS+ and RADIUS too helped too.

This was for the 07 though, but I imagine its still the same.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I have a Net+, and think Im going to get an AWS CCP next. Is there any particular material you all would recommend?

Ive got tier 1 experience now (a little over a year) and want to start preparing to advance elsewhere.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You can find the scenarios online if you Google a bit and they are 1:1 the actual Net+ scenarios (or at least they were as of last October)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Definite congrats!