Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Anyone here do the CIW certs? Is the material provided by CIW sufficient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Wendell Odom's CCENT book has six chapters...six...on IPv6.

:negative:

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

front wing flexing posted:

Odom's book has six loving chapters on everyfuckingthing. He may be a brilliant routing/switching engineer but he's a horrible loving writer.

The accompanying powerpoints are even worse.

Haha, I wouldn't go that far. I actually appreciate his thoroughness most times and I find that he clearly explains the topics. Yes he is dry and formal but I think these official cisco books have no room to be anything else.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Todd Lammle says that the new CCENT is harder than the old CCNA. Is he exaggerating?

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Re CCNA , how comparable are Odom's practice tests (that accompany the official Cisco Press books) to the real test? Harder? Easier? Etc.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

Trax416 posted:

If I pick up A+ and N+ certs would I qualify for a lovely, minimum wage help desk/support type job with no experience in the field and no schooling?

Then I would probably go to college (in Canada, so like American community college), while working and go for the other certs (CCNA and so forth).

I'm not sure what your experience will be, but I got the A+ and Network+ a year ago and while it did land me some interviews I had no luck landing a job (and this in a very IT region -- near DC.) Maybe I interview horribly.

One thing that's really curious is the laundry list of requirements for jobs people seem to require (must be experienced with Linux, microsoft server, ccna, college degree preferred, at least 2 years experience etc etc.) Absurd.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Passed ICND1.

ICND2 material looks rougher :/

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

Charles Martel posted:

Has a lot changed on the CCENT/CCNA exams from 2012 to 2014? I've been watching CCNA lecture videos that cover all of the to-know topics in the CCNA section of the OP, but I don't want to have holes of knowledge come exam time and don't want to waste money on additinal resources I won't need.

They added stuff, moved stuff from the ICND2 to ICND1, and removed stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjgTPyxJM0Y

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Thanks for the info. 30 hours each doesn't seem too bad at all. I'm currently on 10 hour shifts, so I've got an "extra" day a week I can devote to solely to studying. It would be nice to knock out the CCENT / CCNA in the next 3-4 months. I just wasn't sure if that was reasonable.

Haha, 30 hours each? That's absurd.

There have been people who posted in this thread to say they found it time consuming/challenging (but definitely doable), FYI.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Absurdly short or long?

The CCNA course at community colleges is often spread over multiple semesters.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Nvm.

ZergFluid fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 9, 2014

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Man oh man is Comptia "Project+" material is so dull. :negative:

(Necessary for WGU class.)

ZergFluid fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

Zeratanis posted:

Hey I'm starting there myself soon. :haw:

Though hearing Project+ being dull is troubling...

:hfive:

Don't get me wrong the material seems very doable but yea everyone complains about it being dry. It's also worth half of the minimum full-time credits load.

I started in October and my term ends in April. (I came in with an Associate's degree, the A+, Network+ and the CCNA) and completed two business classes and two certs for the term so far. If I were more diligent I could have completed twice that credit load. Good luck!