Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lets Get Patchy posted:

What's the general consensus on the RHCSA cert? I was going to go for the Sever 2012 but I really like working with Unix. What's the best bang for the buck for a fresh graduate?

I found it difficult, too. I did study my rear end off for it, but I've never worked in IT in a professional setting, only my classes and home lab stuff. Being said, it was my first cert test so there's that.

I found RHCSA kind of fun, actually. They sit you at a computer with a VM to configure according to some given specifications, and as long as you get it done and your changes persist through reboots they don't give a gently caress how you did it. No internet access, obviously, so get good at reading man pages.

Studying for it fresh out of school will give you a lot of confidence working in RHEL, if that's what you want to do for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got my RHCE on the second try :unsmith:

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lets Get Patchy posted:

Congratulations. I'm trying to jam that out before fall semester and it's a daunting task. Even if I don't pass. I'm learning a ton of super awesone Linux/Unix stuff.

Thank you! Yes, the objectives are practical and definitely worth studying on their own. I've been a sysadmin for years and the only parts I can say I've never used at work are the stuff about selinux. Not that I have a problem with selinux, just that the places I've worked preferred to turn it off and forget about it. But it's good to know.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What's the current best book for RHCSA?

Edit:

Gonna go with this one unless anyone has other ideas:

Sander van Vugt is a good teacher and he won't steer you wrong for RHCSA.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

apropos man posted:

Yeah. I like it here though. Pay is okay but conditions and the people are good. It's not a case of Stockholm Syndrome, believe me: I've walked out of a job I hate before and I'm in a better position now. I'm just gonna consider studying at home.

RHCE is very doable via home study - that's what I did. You'll want to set up a lab and practice every day until you're super comfortable with the material. The time they give you to complete everything is fairly tight, so you really need to know the stuff like the back of your hand.