Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Just took Sec+ and passed with an 833 :toot:

I'm going in reverse order as I wanted to get Sec+ first as I thought it was easier to study for with a shorter study time (only a week or so), so unfortunately it's not renewing a Net+, but I'm still proud of it.

I'll probably wait a bit and then get Net+ just to have it under my belt too sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

cage-free egghead posted:

Only a week? drat, that's impressive. Nice job!

I've been studying for the last month and just bombed the exam today. Got like a 630 or something. Only felt confident with maybe like a quarter of the questions and the PBQs were much more complicated than everything I had gone through as far as practice exams. I had heard Ucertify was garbage but drat it made me feel like an idiot after going through that lol

I have a BS in CS and was (technically only tier 1 but there was a lot of overlap) doing K-12 IT for the past 2 years or so, so I wasn't going in completely blind.

Which practice material were you using? I'd say the Messer stuff is probably the most like the real exam.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I'm enrolled at WGU right now and they insist you use their material (Ucertify) so I've used it for like 95% of my studying. I knew I should have just gone with Messer for it since he got me through Net+ and A+.

Can't you just use it and not tell them? :ssh:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Kinda, the site tracks nearly everything you've done including bookmarks that "complete" once you've spent enough time on the page. The instructor and mentor can see how much progress you've made on everything.

I guess more of "glance through the WGU stuff, then actually study outside of that using Messer", rather than just not using the WGU stuff

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

Going for the Sec+ this weekend, and I have to say I have never been so frustrated studying for an exam in my life. It's almost like they want you to fail a few times :downs:

What study material are you using and what background do you have going into it?

I basically went with just Messer's videos on topics I didn't have covered, as well as his course guide and practice exams and ended up with 833 after a week of studying (but also a CS degree with a concentration in Network & Security and 2 years experience doing tier 1.5-2 helpdesk depending on how you count it)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

Mostly GCGA+Udemy and Comptia's Certmaster thing, I have a BS in IT with an Info Sec concentration and have been doing various IT jobs for a few years. The big problem I'm finding is twisting my mind into fitting what the gently caress the people writing the practice tests are trying to say. While the GCGA practice tests are good, the Udemy tests are fine, the Comptia practice problems are so poorly written it worries me.

I'd say take the Messer tests and see where you end up. I scored higher than I did on Messer tests on average.

I think that has to do with there being the right answer, then wrong answers in varying levels of wrong, so you can maybe get some points from a wrong answer, whereas when doing the practice test it's easier to just grade yourself on "right answer wrong answer" scoring system.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

Went through the messer exams and scoring 87-90ish percent on them, and the questions are what id expect from someone who is interested in testing your knowledge rather than being misleading

I am not a certified test tutor, but I'd estimate you're probably ready. I was scoring around 80% on the Messer exams and ended up with 833/900.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

Just got Sec+ today, gently caress comptia forever.

How'd you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Killer_B posted:

I don't recall BGP being mentioned on the exam itself, possibly outside of the value for Administrative Distance.

However, this was when I took the exam a bit over a year ago, BEFORE they retired & restructured the certification & exam paths.

BGP is more commonly used telecom to telecom, if I remember correctly. (Absolutely correct me if this is incorrect!)

Yeah, at the context of a single org, it's highly unlikely you'll ever see or touch BGP (unless you're at an org that is responsible for registry level routing)