Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
hello goons, i'm getting ready to take my a+ 1002 and it looks like it'll have to be online because the nearest testing center is 2 hours away. any advice on taking a comptia online test? i know i'm gonna have to remove my second monitor, but has anyone done it sucessfully?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

SlowBloke posted:

https://diyaudioprojects.com/Techni...0wall%20wiring.

Depening on cable AWG (diameter is key) you can only make it pass a certain amount of power reliably. Bigger the AWG, the less power it can push.

while this is true, I really loving doubt anyone's doing DIY POE in 2022 which is the only time I can think that would be relevant. CompTIA asks some really loving stupid questions, and it'd be nice if they were at all competent at test writing or composition. my diagnosis is too many STEM nerds and no pedagogists

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

wait CCNA doesn't cover subnetting? sounds like i've made my decision between it and net+

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

navyjack posted:

Who has 00000010 thumbs and just passed Net+? 127.0.0.0, that’s who!

tehinternet posted:

I've lurked this thread forever -- I just passed the PL-500 Microsoft Power Automate RPA Developer test and the person I wanted to tell about it is real dead, so I'm telling you nerds instead.

Babby's first cert, I'm on the board! It's not any of the actually super hard certs like y'all are after, but hey, some MBAs are dumb and just want letters under the certification column.

Also:

Nerd dad jokes best dad jokes (bonus points if you're not a dad or don't identify as male).

congrats to you both!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

kazmeyer posted:

So let's say my plan is to do A+ and Network+ before I start job hunting for serious. If I was going to add one more to that, what would be a really good basic choice? (I could probably spend up to 12 months skiving at my day job and working on certs before I'd really need to start hunting for real.) The only thing I can say for sure I'm looking for in terms of a dream job is something loving remote in the plague year. :)

What kind of work do you want to be doing? If you're looking for remote I hear Cloud is a good option, but it can be hard to get into without doing some helpdesk. You could complete the A+ trifecta and get Security, but I'm not sure how much it would help you get a job doing security.

And since I haven't posted about it ITT before, I got my A+ in June and started working in July as a helpdesk technician at a nonprofit. Excellent pay for the work, not much room to grow in house but hopefully good for building a resume and eventually some cloud certs since we're doing a move to Azure. Been there for about a month, we're pretty small but actually decently funded. Been writing documentation, setting up user accounts and laptops, and doing normal "help reset my password" style helpdesking. The biggest issue I have right now is asking my boss for projects because I quickly exhaust doing those things for the day and want to start learning new stuff.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

What do you think would be the most useful if all you've got is an A+ thread?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Hotel Kpro posted:

The one that gets you where you want to go

I want to get paid as much money to do the least amount of work

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

FCKGW posted:

Yeah there’s a shame there no fundamental certs this time around. AZ-900 would be good for someone dipping their toes into Azure.

My work will be paying for a az99, which will hopefully let me leave with a az 104 or 305 in six months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Passed core 1 with an 800. Now to cram for core 2 tomorrow because I decided to do this in the stupidest way possible (both tests at once without researching edition retirement dates in a city with only one testing center only open on weekends run by a very mean man)

congrats and good luck! :)