Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Thanks. I'll use those.

My work load is killing me right now so I'm pretty sure I'm going to walk in there less prepared than I'd prefer. Hopefully all my years of blank stares at traceroutes will save me. This is my first Cisco exam so I don't know if it'll be more or less obtuse than a CompTIA exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Took my CCENT back in september and failed, it's not obtuse, but you need to KNOW the material, it's definitely not a "Well I can BS my way through some of this and generally eliminate an answer or two from multiple choice questions"; in the multiple choice questions there will be 2 seemingly good answers (generally speaking) and you have to understand what they're asking and what the answers are doing/saying to get it right.

Yaaaaay...

At least the exam didn't cost as much as a CompTIA test.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Labs cost very little and they're fun to play with. I got mine off Craigslist for $175.

That said, I have not done anything with my lab yet, but it makes my office look real official like and it was fun wiring everything up. It's also real useful to actually touch the equipment if you haven't already. When I finally get around to configuring this lab, the sheer repetition of configuring 3 switches and 2 routers will stick with me far better than a simulator.

The thing is, depending on your job you probably will never have to do much more than log into this stuff remotely and make minor changes/troubleshoot. But then you get a call from some assclown in another department on a Saturday afternoon and he wants you to update the configs on 6 Cisco switches and even if you know academically how everything works you're going to look like a fool trying to do this with stuffed shirt manager leaning over your shoulder and asking you why it's taking so long. In my case I was saved because the only guy on my shift with a laptop quit and they never gave me his laptop. Also no one can ever find the blue console cable, sorry.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I gave up and bought an extra blue console cable that I keep in my desk now. It's easier than going down to the datacenter and finding someone to unlock the cage where they keep their...*checks notes* 10 dollar part that they can only afford one of. In probably a 50 million dollar datacenter.

The laptop thing is still a bitch and a half. Technically I should be able to borrow a laptop from another department, but I refuse to on principal. I paid $130 of my own money for SecureCRT because I am a professional. I'm not going to use Putty like some kind of savage.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
MobaXterm is nice, but for some reason the security platform we use for terminal access times out on everything. Even if you set it up to input a character every 300 seconds, you'll constantly be forced to log back in 4 to 5 times a day on your RSA token.

Except SecurtCRT. That never times out. I've had the same session up for weeks. Other techs with Putty or MobaXterm are like the lives of man and I'm here a Tolkien elf.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I had to postpone my ICEND1 since my wife got sick. Fortunately Pearson Vue is pretty good with reschedules and I wasn't ready anyway.

Now to see who else can get sick before my new test time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Passed babby’s first Cisco cert this morning. Now half way to a CCNA.

I guess that makes me bonafided.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I had to bump my ICEND1 twice because poo poo kept coming up.

Pearson Vue is pretty chill about it. Granted that also means you can keep putting off your exam so it’s a double edged sword.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How long goes it take for Cisco to contact you after passing your exam?

I'm now over 2 weeks without any word.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

I've seen successful exams take longer, but I'd also reach out at this point

Yes, it ends up I needed to login with an account I don't recall ever creating (I have so many Cisco accounts from random jobs at this point).

And they're charging me $3 for a PDF certificate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Fire is a layer 1 networking problem.