Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

CrushedWill posted:

Have you scheduled your exam yet? I am hoping I will be able to get a test date before 31 July as all my studying has been against the PMBOK 4th edition, testing changes to 5th edition in August from what I have read.

Really glad that you posted this, I'm studying right now (scheduled a boot camp class for April and hoping to have the test done by the end of that month) - I do not want to deal with learning a new version of PMBOK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
I took and passed my PMP exam today!

As far as studying goes, I started by reading the PMBOK (pretty much cover-to-cover). It is awful and dry, but I do think I learned a good bit of the relevant content from it, so if you can stomach it, I'd personally say it is worth the effort. Just this studying got me into the mid-60% range on practice tests, which is supposedly about what you need to pass the exam.

I also took a 4-day exam prep boot camp last week from https://pmstudy.com. I thought the class was really helpful, but a caution for those who are considering it - they only teach you how to pass the test. The class is not a way to become a better project manager, but it focuses on the definitions, formulas, etc that you need to pass the test (including a lot of stuff that isn't in the PMBOK). They also have a good guarantee, where they pay for your 2nd and 3rd re-take of the exam if you don't pass on the first try (I did pass on the first try). My instructor was very knowledgeable, and the class size was only 4 people so we got a lot of personal attention (she said her class sizes vary from 4-20 depending on location). After the class, I was scoring around 85% on the practice exams (which pmstudy considers "well prepared").

I have several colleagues who took a similar course from https://4pmti.com with similar guarantees, and all passed on 1st or 2nd try, so I think there are plenty of good classes out there if you can afford them (mine was $1999, thankfully paid by my employer).

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

smokmnky posted:

awesome man, congratulations. I'm going through the Head First PMP book right now in prep for the 4 day boot camp class I'm taking in June. Work is paying for me to do the whole process so I'm pretty motivated to get rolling through it. I'm not sure how much you can talk about this but from the practice exams I've taken so far just to see how they work I notice a lot of it is just multiple choice, is that how the test is laid out or is there some writing elements? I've never taken a test for any kind of certification before, just normal school tests (High School through College). Wanted to get an idea of what to expect.

The format is 200 multiple choice questions, no writing. (http://www.pmi.org/Certification/Project-Management-Professional-PMP/PMP-Exam-Prep.aspx)

A word of warning (in case you weren't already aware) - they are switching the exam to cover PMBOK v5 starting at end of July, so my instructor warned there is going to be a crush of people taking the exam in June/July to get in under the wire (apparently the same thing happened a few years ago when the went from v3 to v4). All of that is to say that, if you haven't already, I'd apply to PMI now and get a testing date scheduled so you're not left scrambling to get an appointment.

Good luck!