Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I'm getting ready to start studying for CCENT and then onto CCNA. I think I have a handle on books and study videos but I'm starting to get a bit apprehensive about buying equipment for a study lab. Is it necessary to have one or would an emulator lab work? I think my biggest thing is that I'm not sure where to start when buying equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Awesome, shelling out $400 wasn't something I really wanted to do right now.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

CrazyLittle posted:

$400?? you can get a 2960 for <$100
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290850651640

I was looking at kits from different websites. I think the package I looked at had 3 routers and 3 switches. I ended up buying a 2950 for $30.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

"I'm an IT professional."

"You're not dealing with a rank amateur."

A customer of mine who spits lines like this every 8 months i have to see him. Please don't end up like this guy when you get your certs/degrees.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Booked Network+ for May 4th. Almost done the CompTIA Microsoft version of the N10-005, listened to all of the audio CBT Nuggets and have been taking some tests over and over again. Just have to keep studying.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Congrats!

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

From the MeasureUp test that came with my Network+ book, took the 200 question test. Got a 86%. A bunch of questions I would have gotten right if I just would have read the question one more time. Open circuit, closed circuit, split pair simply frustrate me. I'm starting to get that down but Jesus, my brain just goes for a loop when I see those questions.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

You guys are killing me. My test is this Saturday at Pearson.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

N+ test tomorrow, besides rereading this massive book and CBT nuggets, any sites for a helpful refresher for things? I had to pound down DNS last night to remember A, AAAA, PTR, CNAME, MX. Resolver, authority ahghghghhghghghg

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Passed n+. Wooo.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

psydude posted:

Everyone should try the contractor thing at least once to evaluate if the large amount of money is worth their sanity.

Sometimes as I take calls on fixing scan to smb or scan to email issues I reminisce about the cold lonely reality of the data center.

Then I realize that I no longer have to work 7pm to 7am on a Saturday.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

So after my Network+ cert my boss says, "Good job, you are now going to be our Sharepoint SME".

Any good books for studying?

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

QPZIL posted:

T-minus 3 hours until my ICND1 exam. I've prepared as much as I can and am getting constant 85-90% on the practice tests (the rest is usually just dumb mistakes since I'm doing all my studying at work and not focusing).

Come what may, I suppose. This is my first "real" IT cert exam. I have ITIL Foundations, but that one was so laughably easy.

As my friend said to me before my test, "YOU CAN DO IT FAGIT"

Just read and reread the question. Take your time dude and you will be strumming the air guitar in celebration.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Any tips on studying for Security+? I'm about to dive into the David Prowse AUTHORIZED CERT GUIDE.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

rock2much posted:

The Darryl Gibson book and test book were what I used as my only sources and I did really well.
http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Secur...y+darryl+gibson

Thank you

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

So to interrupt my S+ training my new manager is asking me to take the 70-413 exam. Anyone know of some good training material? I have never taken a Microsoft exam before either.

edit:
http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/certification/server/w/wiki/496.413-designing-and-implementing-a-server-infrastructure.aspx

Found this in my search, yays nays?

Parlett316 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 13, 2014

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

loving great. I have no idea, is there a learning track I can push back and say hey, I should probably do this and this?

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Thanks, I appreciate the work days where my skull doesn't get bashed in.

edit:

Wow, that was easy, soooo anyone have any good study material for 70-410.

Parlett316 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 13, 2014

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

I only got it because it's part of my degree plan. Most people will tell you yes, except for my crazy friend who thinks a CCNA is easier and a lower level cert than NET+, which is absolutely false.

Don't let crazy people influence your career

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

You ain't a killer, you still learnin' how to walk
From New York to Cali all the real niggas carry chalk

That's warchalking

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Yes share your knowledge

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Passed Security+ today, 822. Used Gibson's book, his study site with the question gimmicks and listened to Prof Messer while on the road.

There was a few questions I was seriously grasping at but hey :guitar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

OhDearGodNo posted:

Jeremy does these as well, it's a small series that goes through the theoretical process of creating a small network.

Is that the smart design of a network or something?