Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

big money big clit posted:

I'd put it roughly in line with a VCP as far as difficulty and breadth of material. There's quite a lot that you're expected to be passingly familiar with, but only a handful of topics that are covered in depth. VPC, EC2, EBS, S3, auto-scaling and load balancing, and cloudwatch are the big ones that have multiple questions asked about them. It's not too difficult, I used the Sybex study guide for about 90% of my preparation and passed on the first try, though it wasn't a slam dunk.

Does somebody need to have some meaningful work experience with AWS to get certified, or can I get the cert with enough studying / toying around with the free stuff Amazon provides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

big money big clit posted:

You can certainly pass it without any work experience just by studying and labbing things out, though you'll need to spend a little money to try everything because it isn't free tier eligible. But if you're diligent about cleaning up after yourself it's not too expensive, maybe 10 bucks a month at most.

Awesome, I've been toying with the idea of getting AWS certified but don't want to drop the $2k that some online classes are charging for the cert prep.