Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

CompTIA gently caress+ cert is gonna look good on my resume

Comp T&A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I learned everything from a set of Community College classes designed around the CCNA cert.

It'd be worth looking into in your area.

Same. It was very nice to have a ton of hardware to play with.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Crap, I ordered the wrong videos.

Now you're ready for your 2007 Word MOS exam

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

N+ is a joke compared to ICND1, and ICND1 is incredibly approachable. There are high school classes locally that end with the ICND1, so I couldn't imagine trying to leverage any networking status below CCENT.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Peachfart posted:

CompTIA is obsessed with dumb crap like that, it infects all of their tests.

Phishing, smishing, vishing, mishing, what other forms of 'phishing + communications technology' are on the new Sec+?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Mantrap gets a lot of attention both on the Sec+ and in BSDM forums.

CompTIA recommends you not write your safe word on a sticky note under your keyboard.

Use a safe word manager like KeepAss

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Peachfart posted:

CCNA classes. I was self taught for much of my networking experience also, and taking the Cisco curriculum at my local community college filled in the gaps and taught me quite a lot. And a CCNA is a great starting point for both Network Administrators and Security.

I second this, although they might be able to eke it out on their own with a CCNA lab and the 31 days book. Even with the classes, I'd still recommend those supplemental purchases if the dosh is available.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kashuno posted:

Warballooning is the act of using a hot air balloon to attack your company's cloud

Warskating is a primarily Canadian concern, United States residents should look at "watering hole attack"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Isn't phishing by any means still phishing?

Mishing is phishing by mail
Smishing is by sms
Vishing is by video chat
Tishing is by telegram
Tinshing is by tin cans on string
You get the idea, and half of those are actually on the sec+

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Still trucking along with N+ prep, and I am definitely noticing a trend of "here's a detailed explanation of how this particular technology works... Of course this was terrible, so here's what replaced it in 1993".

Welcome to the CompTIA experience

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Hot drat! posted:

I passed the ICND2 retake with a 930, and boy am I bitter about some of the questions on this exam. I know it comes with the territory with certs, but it seemed a lot worse on this particular exam. Questions with multiple right answers, questions with insufficient information, questions where the right answer depends on the unprovided hardware/ios version, all of these classics were there.

All the material I covered was fantastic, and the entire experience preparing for the exam was very rewarding and I would probably do it again, but man....gently caress that exam.

"Pick the BEST answer" gently caress you Cisco

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Actuarial Fables posted:

Took the CCNA exam.
Needed 810, got 800.

Anyone have a recommendation for a study guide or practice exam? I've been using Odom's books and the tests that came with them, but I feel the questions provided are too nice and straight-forward.

31 days.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think next I'll start on Cisco for CCNA. Any advice?

Find a way to access the equipment necessary to implement solutions, Packet Tracer is not very good and has weird-rear end limitations that aren't worth bothering with specifically for learning the CCNA. To temper this, I've seen people do it with just GNS3, but if you can afford a kit or a community college course with a lab it's worth it just for the access to the lab--a good instructor isn't entirely necessary, but obviously helps. If the CC does everything remotely or in simulation, don't bother. Ebay and Amazon have CCNA kits with questionably decommissioned hardware that are good enough, though it's a lot more comfortable if you can play with at least three switches and routers at once. And being able to "break poo poo" then wipe away the config is great.

Write scripts for every lab challenge you get/give yourself. Don't ever copy/paste them to complete a subsequent lab, the point is learning; not efficiency in deployment--the CCNA has lots of questions that expect that level of CLI familiarity.

It's certainly not an insurmountable challenge like some make it out to be, as you seem to be aware of with PMP, but it requires a bit of dedication. Spend a lot of time on IPv6, the new exam is heavy on it and that has definitely screwed up some people who were relying on the last version's materials.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

ChubbyThePhat posted:

For my CCNA and CCNP labs, I always typed out every command. I had mental scripts of "set this up, then this, now this" etc. This way I was absolutely certain I knew what I had to do to setup each piece (especially any required dependencies). I found this to be an immense help with the exams because they can be real assholes with syntax questions. It also made the practical exams easy as hell.

Also when troubleshooting I tried to solve problems using ? before consulting command references just to pack away some extra information for the exam. In any real world scenario, I have always gone straight to a commend reference if required.

The number of people who I have seen think that every command needs to be in a specific order because that's the way that the Cisco labs present them is mind-boggling. "How are you configuring physical interfaces without setting up a management interface?" is a question I've been asked too many times to count.

Very few options in iOS have prerequisites, and when they do you'll typically get an error telling you as such (though the error might not make it plain).

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

As an alternative to eBay hardware or GNS3 with :filez: IOS images, Cisco offers a first-party emulator called VIRL (Virtual Internet Routing Lab) with access to all their major software platforms for routing, switching, and firewall for $200/year.

https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/virtual-internet-routing-lab-virl/cisco-personal-edition-pe-20-nodes-virl-20

Have you used it? Is it any good? I'm wary, seeing as

A. I don't believe they offer it to Cisco Learning Academies

B. It's built off of free labor and they're charging for it
"VIRL PE is a community supported product supported by 5000+ community members"

C. If that fully-functional hardware weren't on eBay, it would be dumpstered by Cisco. It might not be ethically sourced, depending on your view of the world, but it's better than the alternative in my opinion--and I'm pretty sure it's not criminally sourced, outside of contract law.

D. This make it sound like a pretty high barrier to entry w/r/t knowledge and resource usage.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Garrand posted:

Yeah but the question is what is the highest value you can get, not how many different values are there

The question is asked about a byte, not an IPv4 octet. It's not necessarily wrong, just a real rear end in a top hat move to put that first sentence there if that's the answer they're looking for.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you read the explanation it says that the decimal value can range from 0-255 and the question asks what is the highest possible decimal value, so no matter how much leeway you give them 256 is a nonsensical response.

It’s a really stupid answer. “What’s the highest possible decimal value you can have using numbers between 0-10?” “11.”

Kazinsal posted:

You can count to nine in a single digit. If I ask you what the largest number you can represent in a single digit is, and you say ten, I'm marking you wrong.

e: f;b

Very good points.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The certs are incredibly easy, it's basically pay to play.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know how people feel on this ethically, but maybe it'd be worthwhile to find some questions from an older version of the test online and use them to get an idea of what's in store.

Legitimately, the sec+ test is just a knowledge dump test. If you know the 'facts', you know them--there's no real creative thinking in it so I don't really see the harm in someone viewing actual questions. I don't think it's hard enough to merit the test-taker actively trying to 'cheat,' but I don't see any ethical dilemma either.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

It would be incredible if ticketing systems could receive an out-of-office reply from the requestor and then manage to read the date that the person is back in the office - the same way that emails can make suggestions for actions or calendar events - and pause the ticket for that amount of time, rather than just dump the OOO straight into the ticket as a response.

If we're going crazy maybe the date that people are back in the office could be a header added to the auto-reply in a way that Microsoft/Google/people can agree on.

Except that nearly every OOO I have ever seen added to a ticket named a date significantly in the past, sometimes by years.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Cyks posted:

This is my plan too. Finished the ICND2 about two weeks ago and jumped right onto CCNA security while R&S is still fresh in my mind. So far I'm finding the OCG to be complete garbage so I've been using a combination of Chris Bryant on Udemy, Darryl Gibson and Google searches.

No idea how I passed though. The score requires a 73% to pass but my highest percentage on the breakdown was in the 60s...

Did you fail questions that seemed a bit outside the ICND2 study materials? Cisco likes to do that and to deploy a few questions that are new and they're trying to gauge the value of--these questions don't count against you when you fail them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

How long goes it take for Cisco to contact you after passing your exam?

I'm now over 2 weeks without any word.

I've seen successful exams take longer, but I'd also reach out at this point