Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Speaking of 70-640, is there a recommended book or other resource for studying for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

trotski posted:

Passed ICND1 tonight. Wanted to thank everyone for the resources and input in this thread, it has been beyond valuable.

I used the INE CCNA vids, Lammle book and Cisco learning labs as my study materials.

Any opinions on which exam to take next: ICND2 or CCNA:security? Since they changed the reqs, I'm thinking of just taking the CCNAS next, but will I be creating a gap in my knowledge by doing so?

How helpful did you find the INE videos?

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

VR Cowboy posted:

I booked my ICND1 for the end of May. Can anyone recommend any decent practice exams or questions? Even ones that are paid, if they aren't exorbitant.

Yeah I would be interested in this as well. I ended up getting Boson Netsim for my lab practice but I am thinking of signing up to take ICND1 sometime end of April and could use some general practice exam stuff.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Are there any places to get legitimate practice exams for Visual CertExam? I like the format rather than just questions at the end of chapter. Something that gives additional information about the answers would be cool as well. Specifically for Network+ for now.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

hitachi posted:

Are there any places to get legitimate practice exams for Visual CertExam? I like the format rather than just questions at the end of chapter. Something that gives additional information about the answers would be cool as well. Specifically for Network+ for now.

Gonna quote myself in case it was missed during the brain dump shitfest. Doesn't even need to be Visual Cert, just something that has a similar format.

I also wanted to ask, if I plan on studying for MCSA Server stuff does it matter if I go for the 2008 or 2012? Is anyone going to care or is there a benefit to doing one over the other?

I am at the point where I am just trying to get a job out of school and figure the knowledge and/or cert might look good for sys admin jobs or something.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Just passed Network+, wasn't too bad. The simulations messed me up a bit just because I hadn't seen them in any of my study material but they were pretty basic stuff.

Thinking about doing Server 2012 stuff next, in hopes of it helping me get a job faster, then probably moving on to CCENT/CCNA this summer.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Mugaaz posted:

What kind of job are you trying to get? Not much overlap with Server2012 and Cisco stuff, except in a couple shops.

I want a entry level networking job, but at this point I just need a job. I am seeing a lot more entry level Sys admin jobs than network admin ones, and they list stuff like Net+, Security+, Novell CNA/CNE, Microsoft MSP/MCSE or equivalent. I have Net+ and Security+ as well as a BS in IT security and I figured if I get an interview, Server 2012 stuff might help me out, I don't really know.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Not sure if this is the best thread for this but what the hell.

I have been out of school and looking for a job for about 2 months now and am currently studying for ICND1. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to look at my resume and give me advice because I haven't gotten many hits as of yet.

I am currently applying for pretty much any help desk or entry level networking position.

Let me know if you are willing to look at over and we can talk over PM's or email or something.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

spidoman posted:

Well, signed up for my CISSP exam. After two months of self studying and a week of class, I can safely say I want nothing to do with ISC2, CISSP, corporate America, or capitalism in general.

What did you use to self study? I have some out TestOut Labsim stuff but I don't know if it has been updated since then. Probably gonna do CISSP after I finish CCNA because I see it on pretty much every job listing as a plus.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

spidoman posted:

Mostly the Shon Harris book (and practice exams and DVD) as well as an old review seminar handbook that a coworker had. But who knows if they are good training materials. My company also had their own training materials and quizzes.

Well good luck on the test. When I last studied the material it all seemed really easy, just a ton of information. I probably wont get to it for a few months.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

internet jerk posted:

Security dudes.

Anyone taken the ArcSight ESM Security Analyst course?

http://h10120.www1.hp.com/expertone/datacard/Course/00430032

http://h10120.www1.hp.com/expertone/datacard/Exam/HP0-M54

I'll be going in October.

Martytoof posted:

No, but I work with ESM daily on the backend and I'm interested, just so I can get a good taste for the other side of the application. Let me know how this goes if you don't mind.

Looks like this is full or I would try to convince my boss to let me take it.

I have been at my first job out of school for almost a year now which is a monitor/report position that is all ArcSight. There was no formal training and I work the overnight so not a lot happens and I feel like I'm not learning/doing enough to put on a resume which is kind of a bummer.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

internet jerk posted:

E: for cert content. Still waiting on confirmation from Fishnet about my Arcsight Analyst class in Reston this month. Arcsight is cash in the bank guys. Get on that train if you can.

psydude posted:

Yeah I'm hitting up the ArcSight training in December. I guess it was included in our service contract. Also going to the Sourcefire 5 course at Cisco's place in Reston in November.

Maybe you guys can give me some advice. I got hired into an analyst position back in December as my first IT job out of college. I had been in the military as an intel analyst prior to school and the degree plus the intel experience was enough to get me in the door I guess. I was hired off my resume, no interview and was told I would be trained on the job. It ended up the training was basically looking through a binder that had SOP's and that was about it. The job is basically stare at Arcsight on one monitor while watching netflix/youtube whatever on the other and investigating any alerts and writing incident reports as needed.

I am trying to buckle down and work on certs so I am not completely wasting my time but any advice how to make the most out of this so I actually learn something before moving on to the next gig?

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

internet jerk posted:

Would work be willing to send you to any SANS courses for a GIAC cert? You could just look at the course schedules and pick a subject that interests you/aligns with your experience level. Or you could always just self study for CISSP but that cert sounds mega boring.

I don't think they will pay for the course, they will reimburse for certs though. I am working on CEH now because the prime contractor is having their guys do it so we are going to share resources. I will probably work on CISSP next and yeah it does look boring as poo poo.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Gooble Gobble posted:

Finally scheduled and passed the OSCP exam after managing to put it off for ~1 year. Next up is probably CISSP, but I can't take it before April. Should I buy materials now or wait for the new ones to come out?

How familiar were you with the material before you took the OSCP class? I have been studying for the CEH because it was something work asked me to get but I hear the OSCP is more respected so I have been looking into it a bit as well.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Immanentized posted:

Still fighting with the ISC2. Their admin staff is just so bad at interacting with their customers. I previously thought this settled when I discussed this with their director of the investigation department last week, but the business analyst they had over my case just sent me another email.

Apparently, my employer-supplied information (W2's and other items that indicated my employment) is unacceptable to the ISC2. In order to prove my experience and of my compensation received at my previous job. They're still insisting that I'm going to need to reapply after June 1, which means I get to take the new test on April 15!

I will not be receiving a voucher for a free admission if I decide to retake the test.

Other CISSPs, have any of you encountered this poo poo?

I haven't gone through the process yet but I thought if you pass the test but don't meet the experience requirements you just get listed as an Associate or whatever until you do meet the experience requirements. Why would you have to retake the exam?

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Ashley Madison posted:

QFT. Keep the train rolling while you still have a habit of doing your homework.

I am seriously considering going back to school just to get back in the study mindset. I work a job where I could study for hours almost every day but I am so complacent it makes me feel like poo poo.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
I mentioned it in the thread earlier but I am thinking of enrolling at a school to help motivate me to get cracking on certs. I already have a BS in IT Security from a state school so I would want to get a Masters if I were to do it.

Not really sure if it's worth it get a Masters in IT Security or if I should just wait and see if I want to do something like an MBA in the future. I could always audit some classes I guess or just stop being a bum.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Dunno if anyone is studying for CEH, but I guess EC Council just updated to version 9 on November first with almost no notice as far as I can tell. There was no overlap between the old version and the new version and the only study materials that are out for the new version are like $650 from EC Council themselves and supposedly aren't even good.

Glad I didn't buy a voucher already though I probably wasted the $100 application fee since I doubt they will refund it.

Not even gonna bother studying for the new version more than likely, probably just gonna start on the CCNA.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Did you guys check out Lammle's book as well? That is the one recommended in the OP, just curious if you had seen both and preferred Odom's. I am gonna purchase one here soon and try to take the test next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

psydude posted:

Had to purchase an extension for the PWK lab. That poo poo is pretty intense.

My company said they would pay for it so I think I am gonna do that after I finish up my CCNA.