Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
While we're talking subnetting, I have a dumb question.

Watching CBT Nuggets, and the first example says you bought the IP 216.21.5.0 and want 5 networks (3 offices and the 2 wan links connecting them). The answer ranges are 216.21.5.0 - 216.21.5.31, 216.21.5.32 - 216.21.5.63, etc. But aren't those public IPs? So how does that work when assigning the addresses to servers and clients and such, aren't those ranges also public IPs that other people could own? From what I've seen it's usually private ip ranges like 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganon
May 24, 2003

penga86 posted:

I'm currently studying for the 70-640 and after reading and rereading Microsoft's certification site, I'm still confused. I can take 70-640, 642 and 646 prior to July and get the MCSA 2008, which I can then convert to MCSA 2012 by taking 70-417. Then I can take 413 and 414 to get MCSE.

Is this correct?

The only reason I want to go the 2008 route is because I had already purchased study guides for the 2008 tests not to mention I've only ever really worked with 2008 servers in the real world.

640/642/646 aren't being retired, only the MCITP:SA and EA designations are (and exams 643/647). MCSA 08 will still be around.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Remy Marathe posted:

Oh what the gently caress. My current game plan was for early July, and half Cisco Academy's course materials are several years old. We haven't even touched IOS 15.X.

The current test won't stop being available right away. It should be around for at least the rest of the year.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Go here and download the iso: http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-official-iso-images-180-days-free-trial-download/

Then when the trial is up dump the VM and start over.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Yeah that's correct, MCITP: EA/SA are going away, 640/642/646 will stick around and get you MCSA Server 08.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Well he did say he was using Visual Cert to practice which is a program used to read dumps...

Ganon
May 24, 2003
What the gently caress, your school is terrible and is ripping you off. I can't believe you're still showing up, there's so many better options out there.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Pudgygiant posted:

Screw you for knowing too much! Pass4Sure is the worst

You're really dumping the CCNP?

Ganon
May 24, 2003
This article from years ago says MS uses forensics and can tell if you studied from dumps

quote:

One major new change to the program is the extension of data forensics to enforcement. Microsoft has always used statistical analysis and data forensics to monitor the examination process but starting this summer, forensic results can be the sole basis of enforcement actions.

Data forensics is a sophisticated analysis of exam data to detect patterns that indicate test fraud, including cheating and piracy. "Any time you take a test, you leave data behind," Crowley said. "We can look at the time to take the test, any unusual response times or aberrants in the responses," she said. "One thing we can tell with data forensics is if people have been using brain dumps, so we will be able to enforce on that going forward."

Microsoft is implementing a policy of using forensic results as sole evidence for enforcement because they have determined that the data is scientifically sound to a one in one trillion chance that a certain result occurred by chance. "When we start the enforcement program, our baseline is going to be much higher," said Crowley. "It is going to be a trillion cubed that the results happened by chance."

They say they can ban you for life with no proof other than this, but I've never heard of it happening. Tons of people use them and you'd think someone would post about it happening to them on techexams or something if it did.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

FaintlyQuaint posted:

So I have my Security+, am most of the way through studying for my A+, and can pick up my N+ relatively quickly if I have to. Do I really need the N+ to pick up a beginning IT job? I want to eventually work my way up to a CISSP and do computer security IT work.

I guess the N+ would be useful to understand why I do the things I need to do for security things?

vv
College courses. Nothing practical/real world. This is essentially me going after my very first IT job and loading up on whatever certifications I can get (I took a course on the N+, but never got around to getting it with my Security+.) to get a job.

It's pretty expensive but if you can afford it then you might as well just knock it out. Otherwise I'd start with CCENT, it covers basic networking concepts and then you can move on to CCNA if you want.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
CBT Nuggets recently released the videos for the new exams.

Edit: I'm dumb, you mentioned that already in an earlier post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Always check the errata online if something doesn't make sense