Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Doesn't it start being offered as of tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

If you wanted to go in a security role, auditing perhaps, would CCNA Security be worth getting before CISSP/CISA?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

This is the guy - https://www.youtube.com/user/ShrikeCast

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Sickening posted:

At this point it doesn't matter unless you want to work for a Microsoft Partner.

In an attempt to land a network engineering job at a service provider, would CCNA + RHCSA be the recommended course?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Chris Bryant has a video series (similar to CBT Nuggets) on Udemy for $44 w/coupon BULLDOG44 and $5 study guides. You'd probably only need the ICND2 guide at this point.

What areas are you having trouble with?

icehewk fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 3, 2014

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

ICND1 exam tomorrow morning. Any suggestions? Trying to maintain the regular habits, eat well, sleep early, etc. Not looking at anything exam related today and just relaxing.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

penga86 posted:

It's not as expensive as most IT exams, and you can take it again in 5 days after getting an idea of how they ask questions if you don't end up passing.

Failed with a 725. Looks like there were a few simple holes in my studies (Security, NAT and Switching needed refreshing). The printout with subject percentages is nice (100% subnetting, woo!). Should get it next Friday no problem. The exam was extremely easy compared to the labs I had been doing with GNS3 Vault and Workbench. I had been using this app to reinforce what I've studied so far and seems like it helped tremendously.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congrats!

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Haven't used Cisco's but CBTNuggets is always recommended.

Have any of you gone through any of Amazon's AWS certification courses? I'd like to work towards becoming an infrastructure/cloud engineer.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 3, 2015

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

What would be good to dive in to after the CCNA? Getting a CCNP without any professional experience seems counter-intuitive.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Just practice multiples of 16.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Woo! Passed ICND2 with an 890! :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Sweet deal. How'd you study? Did you buy any equipment? My studying's kinda stalled out because I'm wanting to buy a couple of switches and routers to do all the stuff for real. I'm not so sure GNS3 would be the best thing for me (plus the whole switching thing).

Didn't buy any equipment. Used Lammle's book, GNS3Vault (there's topics from the older CCNA version though) for labs and Packet Tracer for custom scenarios. Locating the correct GNS3 version to pair with labs found online was a chore. GNS3 Workbench is decent if you can spin up a Linux VM. I bought Chris Bryant's video series but found out that video learning doesn't work for me. His study guides are $10 for the pair and are basically what he goes through in his videos. I bought the one for ICND2 and it broke all the topics down really well. Labbing made everything click, so do that however you can.