Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

What books did you guys use to become certified? I like labs as much as the next guy.

I read through one book (can't even remember the title now) but I found using training video CDs/DVDs to be much more effective. If there's a certification you want chances are that there's a video series that's been released for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Does that sound right?

I haven't taken any of those but the general idea I've followed was to start with a couple of the most basic/broad certifications and after passing a few of those then go onto a couple that were specialized toward whatever you're doing on a daily basis.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Opus125 posted:

So would it be worth it to get any Windows 7 Certs if the exams are going to be retired in a year?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcitp-certification.aspx

If you're working with that OS a lot in a job setting it wouldn't hurt. Otherwise, try to go with the latest certifications out there for the latest OS. I did a few XP certifications when Vista was out because that's what the vast majority of businesses were clinging to at the time.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

Is there a general consensus on the quality of CBT Nuggets video training?

I've used them on a few XP certifications and found them helpful. I'd watch the video and then to reinforce what they presented (if it was something I hadn't done before) I'd repeat whatever they showed in the OS itself.

I don't remember any humor disseminated in them (maybe it was so bad I didn't realize they were trying to joke).