Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM
I'm currently studying for the 70-640 and after reading and rereading Microsoft's certification site, I'm still confused. I can take 70-640, 642 and 646 prior to July and get the MCSA 2008, which I can then convert to MCSA 2012 by taking 70-417. Then I can take 413 and 414 to get MCSE.

Is this correct?

The only reason I want to go the 2008 route is because I had already purchased study guides for the 2008 tests not to mention I've only ever really worked with 2008 servers in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

madsushi posted:

I am just reading this now, but apparently you have to take 3 tests to upgrade from ITP 2008 to MCSE 2012? I was hoping it would just be a single upgrade test and I'd be done. Dang. :/

Yeah, MCSA is one test (417) and MCSE is two (413,414 or 415,416) plus the 417.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Nebulis01 posted:

I have the MCITP:EA and automagically obtained the MCSA2008 cert which i then upgraded to MCSA2012 and am sitting for the final test 70-414 for MCSE2012 on Friday.

Good luck. I'm sitting the 640 tomorrow :ohdear:

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

penga86 posted:

Good luck. I'm sitting the 640 tomorrow :ohdear:

Well i failed with a 570 score. I feel like a moron. Guess I'll brush up on certificates because I got killed on those questions.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM
Man I really hope I pass the 70-640 when I take it again. I had to reschedule my retake exam twice due to work scheduling ($35 each time to reschedule). Add in the cost of having to take it twice, this is starting to get mighty expensive due to me being unable to pass on my first go around.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Manta posted:

I just got my A+, now I want to work towards getting CCNA. I can take some preparation classes, but it is kind of confusing. Maybe a dumb question, but what (if any) classes should I sign up for?

If/when I ever start on the CCNA, I plan to take an actual classroom class at a local community college. Let them provide the equipment, and provide someone to bounce questions/ideas off of seems like a more likely passing score for a dummy like me. If you do well at online training and reading then go that route. Just my two cents.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

skipdogg posted:

loving 70-647 test. I failed it again. Last time with a 683 (1 loving question) this time a 666 (2 loving questions). Now I'm just pissed. I'm going to study my rear end off and buttfuck this goddamn exam in a couple of weeks. It's always the same section that gets me. I've never used RDS in production so it's my weakest area.

Why isn't there a "I pay Microsoft 6 figures a year for support and access to PFE's so I don't have to know this esoteric bullshit" answer on the test?

Sup microsoft test failing buddy. I just failed 70-640 again. I don't know what i'm supposed to do know though. I studied for three weeks nonstop and went into the test and felt like I was going to not only pass but maybe get in the high 800s or 900s. Failed with a 605 :(

Not sure what I can do now to pass, I feel like I should just wait til I move and take a CCNA course or something because obviously I'm not able to pass this test.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

skipdogg posted:

Are you having issues with the material or the test format? Test taking skills are almost as important as the technical knowledge with these newer MS tests. They love to try to confuse you. I don't want to call it trickery, but questions like "with the least administrative effort" or the testlets where one line out of a 2 page background blurb changes the answer to the question can be tricky.

Well the first time around my lowest sections were DNS and Certificate Services, but did great on roles and infrastructure. Second time around my lowest were infrastructure and roles (and I felt like I knew roles perfectly). I only used the CBT nuggets and the Sybex book, but I've picked up the Microsoft press book for it and I'll read it and do all the labs from scratch and take it again. Seeing that I can still take the test after July makes me feel a whole lot better about failing. I know I'm still weak on DNS, but I've been using AD since 2005 so I probably am coming into the exam with the mindset that I know everything they can throw at me but I forget that I have to go to technet half the stuff I'm asked to do in my day to day work.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

SaltLick posted:

I can see that. Someone using a brain dump cert to con their way into a they job is much different than someone using a cert as supplement to their normal job and partial experience. Of course if you use a dump, get a job, and can't do it you'll get fired pretty quick so it works out in the end.

The only issue that could arise is if people passing with dumps end up getting fired often enough that the certs start to lose their appeal to HR departments. Although I doubt that would ever happen.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM
I think I'm in need of some encourage or a new cert to try for. I just failed the 70-640 for the third time (got in the low 600s again):(

I think I need to give up on this certification and try something else. I've been working with AD and Server 2003/8 for about 7 years and I've read two books (Sybex and MS Press). I've bought and watched the CBT nuggets for it, and borrowed and watched the VTC video series as well. What I can't do is pick out what obscure snap-in no one remembers the exact name of when I am asked on the test. Half of the tools (LDS, RMS, FS and CS) they ask about I have never once used, ever. I have a lab at home and work, as well as doing AD administration as my job. I'm done wasting time and money studying and failing these things.

At this point I'd like to take a class or bootcamp at a community college or something, but sadly that isn't available to me in my small(ish) town.

Can any of you guys recommend a certification that I can study for that isn't worthless? Any of the comptia certifications won't mean much when I move to a real city in 2014.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

stubblyhead posted:

What's the current upgrade situation for Microsoft certs? I have a 2003 MCSA, and the only upgrade information I can find is for upgrading to the MCITP, which is being retired in about two months. I don't know that I'll be able to get enough prep time in to pass 648 and 646 before then, so am I out of luck? Or will those tests get me the new 2008 MCSA after that date instead? I see the 646 exam is part of that track and neither exam is being retired, just the cert itself. Why did they have to do all this stupid rebranding poo poo? :bang:

The MCITP will become MCSA 2008 on July 31st, 2013. The 640, 642 and 646 tests will continue to be offered after that date, only the certification's name is changing.

The MCSA 2008 can be upgraded to MCSA 2012 with the 70-417 exam until July 31st, 2014. I'm going to assume the MCSA 2008 will be retired whenever Microsoft no longer supports Server 2008.

Once an MCSA 2012 you can take either 413 & 414 (Server) or 415 & 416 (Desktop) to get MCSE 2012.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

jgamer posted:

I'm looking to sign up for the A+ cert, and even took a course a few years back in high school, though I never took the exam and wound up doing other things for the past few years. Should I be taking the 700 or 800 exam?

CompTIA A+ 220-801 covers the fundamentals of computer technology, installation and configuration of PCs, laptops and related hardware, and basic networking.

CompTIA A+ 220-802 covers the skills required to install and configure PC operating systems, as well as configuring common features (e.g. network connectivity and email) for mobile operating systems Android and Apple iOS.

The previous version of the CompTIA A+ certification, exam codes 220-701 and 220-702, will be available through Aug. 31, 2013. You can take either the two 700 series exams or the two 800 series exams to become CompTIA A+ certified.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

The only reason I would push you towards 2008 is if you want to start studying right away. The books and videos that are out and worthwhile are all about 2008/2008R2. The early 2012 stuff from Microsoft Press didn't get stellar reviews, but I'm sure the updated 2012 that is about to come out or just has is good.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Gweenz posted:

What is everyone's opinion on Testout, as far as passing the Security + exam? We were required to purchase it through school for a Network Security class, but I'm not sure if I should get more material.

This used to be the end all be all for the Security+ test. Not sure if it still is. I bought the Kindle edition many moons ago but never took the test as I didn't enjoy IT Security after working in it for a short stint.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Jesus H freakin christ do I hate 70-642.

I was woefully unprepared - my brain is the kind where I'll at least remember a concept. If there's a question about BranchCache, okay maybe I won't remember how to set it up, or how to troubleshoot it, but I'll at least know what BranchCache is and hope to fumble through it on logic and charm. But there were multiple topics on the exam where I was like, don't know what that is, don't know what that is, I've never seen that word before. This tells me that the Microsoft Press book alone is just a horrible way to prep for the exam, which is of course a frustrating thing to find out after sitting it.

Free second shot exam, I'm going to take it on March 14th and either pass it or throw a fit the likes of which Prometric has rarely seen.

e: I don't know, the test is a little older but it's simpler for me to get this then upgrade to 2012 via one test than start over. Does anyone have any recommended resources for 70-642 which are up to date? It seems like they revised the test not too long ago, maybe one final revision before it gets retired this summer.

As far as third party publishers, I've always found the Exam Cram series of books better at distilling the information into flashcard sized chunks that are easier to retain. That being said, I've still been unable to pass the 70-640/642/646, so take my advice with a pound of salt.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM
Anyone else in the Stanly VM class received anything yet? I haven't heard anything after I went and paid. It's supposed to start in 10 days I figured I'd see something by now.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Digitalpope posted:

I received mine on the 12th, if you haven't already gotten the email about it, PM me for the person's contact information who sent it.

I got a follow up about two days after I posted that. Looks like I was just being impatient.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Digitalpope posted:

I've been working through the stanly classes as well, but it's making me twitch a little bit that the labs don't match up with the section that they're just finishing talking about. It hasn't been a big deal so far, but we're approaching the areas that I'm softest in, networking and storage. I'll have to try out the CBT ones with Scott Lowe's book and see how that goes. Thankfully, I've got a beefy enough pc to handle an autolab config, tops out at 6 ESXi hosts (if I chop the 5.1 hosts to 3gb/each).

That'd at least let me proceed at my own pace through the material....tired of spending time on things I already know from working with esx/vsphere for the last 5 years or so.

Glad I'm not the only one who felt it was out of order. It also doesn't help that the "instructor" reads the powerpoint verbatim and sometimes can't even pronounce some of the items properly. When others here said this alone won't prepare you to pass, there weren't kidding.

I'm supplementing by working my way through the Lowe book, and I'll probably watch the CBT videos later on down the road.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Race Realists posted:

Is there anyway of lowering the price or A+/Network+ exams? I don't remember it being so expensive...

also im poor :v:

I've heard good things about these: http://www.getcertified4less.com/CompTIA_Network_Early_Expiration_Voucher_p/networkvuepromo.htm

But to be honest I've never used them so I can't personally vouch for them. Also, it's only about a $30 discount.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Some of you guys reference CBT Nuggets, Pluralsight, etc. for your studying. Do some of your employers pay for subscriptions? Do you? Just wondering since their subscriptions are pretty pricey.

My guess is :filez: or they pay out of pocket, which is why I haven't used CBT stuff as often as I'd like to.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

PneumonicBook posted:

Net+ done with. Probably CCNA next. More certs for the cert god and all that.

If you can get subnetting down pat, ICND 1 isn't that much tougher than Network+. ICND 2 has more of the routing and WAN parts of the CCNA.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Bigass Moth posted:

Can anyone recommend a good CCNA video series to complement the book? I just hit VLSM material and I don't think the Youtube INETraining series is really helping compared to what I'm learning in Lammle's book.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmdYg02XJt6QRQfYjyQcMPfS3mrSnFbRC

My process was to read a chapter of the Lammle Book and then watch the corresponding video from this guy. He also walks you through some labs on packet tracer so you can get a feel for what the command line will spit back at you.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Bigass Moth posted:

Question for those who have recently taken the icnd1 and used lammles book: how much of the icnd2 portion should I be studying? Nothing in the first half has tripped me up but I don't want to run into too many gotchyas on the exam for material he seperated into the later section.

I would read through it, but don't focus on it. Everything in the exam is in the objectives in Lammle's book. Having subnetting down without having to calculate it is the biggest part of ICND1. I did not study anything in the ICND2 portion when I took the first part in December.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

icehewk posted:

ICND1 exam tomorrow morning. Any suggestions? Trying to maintain the regular habits, eat well, sleep early, etc. Not looking at anything exam related today and just relaxing.

It's not as expensive as most IT exams, and you can take it again in 5 days after getting an idea of how they ask questions if you don't end up passing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has anyone used the Lynda videos for the CCNA? My library just gave its members free access

If you end up not liking Lynda's offerings, this is the course I used to pass mine: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmdYg02XJt6QRQfYjyQcMPfS3mrSnFbRC along with Todd Lammle's book and some labbing.