Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Dehry posted:

I'm looking at going for an IT job. Preferably in the Support/Administration side of things. I have a BACS, but no internships or certs (I had to work through school and screwed up my GPA.) I was the Chief Engineer for the college's radio station which was nothing more major than fixing viruses and installing specialized audio hardware and software. I've been turned down from several interviews because I don't have any helpdesk experience and my network skills are almost non existent since I was focused on the programming side.

TL/DR I'm a crappy programmer and my support skills are rusty.

What kind of cert would be the best for me? I've been looking at A+ and Security+. I live in the Dayton, OH area and there are plenty of DOD contractors working with the Air Force Base here, but I'm not sure what would get them to hire me.

A+ is definitely where you want to start if you're looking for a helpdesk/support job, but I wouldn't say it's necessary if you're just looking to get into the field. You'd probably be better served by expanding your job search to Cincinnati. Between Blue Ash and Northern KY there are a million more entry level tech jobs than in Dayton. Just make sure to emphasize the skills you do have (things like getting a virus of a coworker's laptop, setting up a home router for a family member, etc.) rather than letting them focus on your lack of formal experience. There's nothing wrong with putting personal, non-work experience like that on your resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

Is there a general consensus on the quality of CBT Nuggets video training?

I found the ones for the MCITP exams a lot more engaging than the corresponding Microsoft Press books (though that isn't saying a whole lot). I don't think I would completely forgo the books in favor of CBT, but thought it was a fantastic supplement. Those are the only CBT Nuggets I've used personally, though.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

For the 70-410, what's the consensus on the Microsoft Press book? I'm planning on using that in conjunction with CBT Nuggets unless there is something that's a bit less painful than what I've encountered before from Microsoft Press.

v- Bummer, I really like having a text book to study from. It doesn't even look like the Sybex one is out yet either.

Adjectivist Philosophy fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 5, 2013

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Alctel posted:

It's worth it since I can say to my clueless boss 'hey I got this cert' and get another couple of $k a year and it cost me no money and 2 hours of my time

If you get bonuses on a per-cert basis the coupon is good for the other two VCA exams as well. The VCA-Cloud I found to be a little more challenging than the DCV, but it was ultimately still just memorizing the names of different products/features.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Eonwe posted:

So aside from getting lucky, whats the best way to land a junior sys admin position? I am working on some networking certs (CCNA), but I should have a MCTS Win Server 2008 cert in a few months as well. It just seems like every junior level sys admin job is treated more like a mid-level sysadmin as far as requirements go.

I'm trying hard to avoid helldesk, but I guess I don't know what kind of jobs might help me get some kind of relevant sysadmin experience except for jobs that required multiple years of sysadmin experience.

Honestly, if you're new to the industry the best way to get into a sysadmin role is to suck it up and take a helldesk job for now (not that you should stop applying for jr positions, but temper your expectations). Having a job and a year or two's experience in the field will go a long way towards making you marketable for actual systems/network admin positions. One thing that doesn't seem to be talked about much is that there are a lot of things you can learn from a lovely helpdesk job w/r/t the range of technologies businesses use, how/why they use them and how all of those interact with each other. You just aren't going to find a class that can teach you what working in that environment will. From what I've seen, this is why so many companies look for a bare minimum of real world experience for anything beyond helpdesk.

Other than that, small businesses and MSPs always seem to have the most opportunities to get your hands dirty with the server/infra side of things while you're still in an entry level position, so keep that in mind when you're looking. If you're fresh out of school and have your CCNA/MCSA you very well may be able to snag a jr sysadmin job, but true "junior" sysadmin positions are often hard to find in the first place, as you have noticed, so don't be afraid to take a helpdesk job in the meantime.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

It is pretty obnoxious how they insist you know exact powershell commands off the top of your head, when autocomplete and a little OOPS, NO, IT'S THE OTHER THING will get you through in the real world. That kind of bullshit memorization is really obnoxious and has plagued MS tests for as long as I can remember.

I ended up taking the 70-410 twice before I passed and both times thought the questions were very fair. Obviously you need to know the material, but none of the powershell stuff (which I did struggle with mightily the first time around) tried to trip you up on technicalities. What helped me the most was realizing that the powershell questions were often just a reading comprehension test where you need to understand what you're trying to accomplish and check that against the verbage (install-blahblah for installing a new thing versus set-blahblah for modifying an existing thing).

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Passed the 70-411 today and I'm trying to decide which test to take to finish up my server 2012 mcsa. I work for an msp that deals with small and medium businesses where a good chunk of the 70-412 stuff is above and beyond what we ever deal with, so I've been trying to decide between the hyper v and office 365 ones they're now letting you take as electives, since we set up hyper v and office 365 for pretty much any customer who will let us. I'm used to buying the book as primary study material which there doesn't seem to be for either of those tests, has anyone here taken either of these before? What are your thoughts on them and what did you use to study?

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

m.hache posted:

I took the Hyper-V one back in June and it was fairly easy.

I used http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/ for all my studying needs on this one. I kinda did things backwards because I have my 74-410 scheduled in March.

You didn't use any material other than that site? That doesn't look too bad at all. Were there any specific topics that were emphasized more than others?

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Any more tips? I fixed up a Dell Precision from work and have server 2012 on it. I have Mastering Server 2012 by Minasi and the MS Press books for 70-410.

Anybody here take 70-410 already? How long should I study for before taking it? I'd like to pass at least that so I can show that I'm putting my money where my mouth is and that I'm serious about going the sysadmin route.

It's not an easy exam, especially if you aren't already getting exposure in your day job, but if you're really busting your rear end with studying try to get an exam in while Microsoft is doing the second shot promotion. Taking the test and seeing the actual questions helped me a lot as far as informing what and how I was studying. I never found any online practice tests to be a good representation of the difficulty or the way the questions are presented, and hell, it's multiple choice, so you may end up surprising yourself.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

magicalmako posted:

Is it ok to take the 801 and 802 A+ exams a day apart?

I took them both the same morning when I took them. Depends on whether or not you're comfortable with the material.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

MJP posted:

From what I've seen and heard, the 2k12 MCSE is nothing more than a vamped-up course in Hyper-V with no application outside of pure Hyper-V companies. If you want a real one-two punch to lever you out of support and into sysadmin, get the 2k8 MCSA (three exams) and upgrade to 2k12 (one exam). You really do learn a lot, and if you want to take your time prepping for exams, four exams in one year is probably very reasonable.

When you say 2012 mcse are you talking about the server infrastructure one or one of the others? I thought mcse's are supposed to be significantly more challenging than the mcsa stuff, but after recently taking the 74-409 I'm feeling incredibly comfortable with Hyper-V and system Center. If they're actually that heavily focused on Hyper-V I may have to look into that while it's all still fresh in my memory...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Sounds like my employer has caught the same bug everyone else's has and they are keen on me getting the Security+, which is fine by me since they are paying and my A+/Net+ are expiring soon. I feel the same senseless attachment to them as well.

I used the All-in-one books for A+/Net+ years ago and felt they were sufficient for both, is the All-in-one still good enough for the Sec+, or is there some new hotness? For people who have taken it recently, how does the difficulty compare with the Net+?