Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

BKPR posted:

Was getting set to take the A+ tomorrow, but it seems like all the testing locations listed in my area (columbus oh) are tech schools that don't allow nonstudents to test there. I have to be missing something here.

Pearson VUE was where I did my testing for A+, did you look at their site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Would anyone here recommend studying for the 70-687 (Windows 8) instead of the 70-680 (Windows 7)? I see that the 70-680 is getting discontinued in January 2014.

Also:

Microsoft posted:

NOTE: The MCITP certification will be discontinued/unable to be earned as of January 31, 2014. The certification will remain on the transcript for those that earn the certification prior to January 31, 2004
:laugh:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I have successfully landed a pretty cushy university job doing your typical deployment and troubleshooting/break-fix work. Very nice environment wherein I'm essentially free to go for whatever certifications appeal to me and the cost of the first test is covered by my employer.

All else equal (though factoring the amount of studying required for each), for someone who already holds the esteemed A+/Network+ certifications, which would you say to go for first between MCSA (70-680 + 70-685/686), Security+, or ICND1?

I'm leaning toward doing them pretty much in the order I've listed (MCSA --> Security+ --> ICND1 (and then ICND2)), as my on-the-job work is pretty good study for the MCSA. After that, my CompTIA certs would expire next year, so I'd kinda like to refresh them and I have an interest in information security anyway. And finally, CCNA's always been a goal. Sound logic? There's no real push for me to get any particular certs so I'm just wanting to do what sounds interesting and useful.

P.S.: When does the 70-680 exam retire, anyway? I thought it was due this year but I can't find anything about it going away.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

That said, given my wariness of being thrown into two pools and expected to swim in both, I'd say get the MCSA and Sec+. N+ and A+ probably aren't worth taking the time to refresh - I don't think many employers even verify current status of someone's certs.
I really appreciate all of your advice, but just to clarify, if I were to obtain my Security+ cert before my A+/N+ expire, those two will refresh at the same time. One of the olive branches CompTIA offered to test takers, I guess.

Obviously it's not a very big concern now that I'm actually in the industry, but if I can keep them, might as well.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

GobiasIndustries posted:

Quick question about the A+ cert; am I understanding it correctly that, on top of renewing my certification, I have to pay yearly dues to CompTIA as well to keep it valid? Seems like dropping $300 every few years on the test would be enough..

No, I'm about 95% sure that that's not correct. They have some stupid Continuing Education program that can do to renew your cert in place of taking the test (I don't really know anything about it), but you can also retake your certification exam, or take a higher-level one (Network+, Security+, etc.) to renew lower-level ones.

http://certification.comptia.org/stayCertified.aspx

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
For some reason Storage+ sounds depressing to study for. I think it's because once I get my Security+ I consider myself done with CompTIA forever, outside of renewing Security+ when necessary.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Any word on when the 70-680 exam will stop being offered? I'm doubling down on studying it - hit a lull when my daughter was born a 6 weeks ago - and I assume its expiration has to be somewhere on the radar (with Windows 10 and all), but I'm not seeing anything anywhere.

Edit: Nevermind - looks like it still isn't scheduled. Found this link: https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/retired-certification-exams.aspx#fbid=Reu1n1N85CQ

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 14, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Alright, got my job to pay for me to take the 70-680 exam. I scheduled it out for December 20, which should be way more time than I need, so hopefully I can move it up. Tired of just having A+ and Network+ to my name given how much further along I've come lately.

I've got the Panek book, and I'm watching videos at http://www.professormesser.com/ - any other study materials people might recommend?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Faded Sloth posted:

I'm an undergrad studying Electrical Engineering. I want to go to industry after I graduate in May 2017. I've heard about Six Sigma a couple times and I'm wondering if this is something I should look into getting. There are some student engineering orgs here that can give us a huge discount on getting it. Thoughts?

I'll just answer by saying that Six Sigma isn't really an IT certification and I don't know that anyone here is likely to be able to give you a very straight answer concerning whether you should or should not pursue it, as it's not really in the wheelhouse of most people here.

If you're hearing it brought up within a lot of industry org's and/or companies that you're interested in, maybe consider it. It does seem a little obtuse to me though.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is one of the questions why am I doing this?

Empty-quoting this.

For content: Five-year-old Passes Microsoft Exam
I wish the article would say what test the kid took. They say he's an MCP so it can't be one of those MTA tests... Probably the one I'm studying for (70-680). :eng99:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Related question: If I have Security+ can I just ignore A+ and Network+?

Outside of the small risk of getting pre-screened by some lovely HR "Do you have A+? Y/N" thing, yes. I feel like based on your posts you're past looking for desktop support/help desk roles anyway...?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Some of you guys reference CBT Nuggets, Pluralsight, etc. for your studying. Do some of your employers pay for subscriptions? Do you? Just wondering since their subscriptions are pretty pricey.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

So, after reading through the Cisco Press CCIE Guide for a little bit, I'm actually glad to see that they've updated the material to be relevant to current technologies, particularly at layer 2. SWITCH seemed to cover mostly legacy stuff that you still find in production (MTP, GLBP, HSRP, etc.), but which is being phased out as people refresh their core infrastructure and replace the older designs with VSS and SPB. The exam actually covers these newer technologies (in addition to the older ones).

Some day I want to be able to read this paragraph and have the first idea as to what all the acronyms aside from CCIE mean. :/

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm not asking for answers or a braindump, I just want to know if the A+ test is multiple choice or "choose as many as are correct" like the practice exams I've been doing. I'm using the CompTIA Complete Study Guide and their sample questions are kind of ridiculously in depth.

Yeah, it is. I think there might be some matching, too? But at least 90% of it is all multiple choice/choose all that apply, etc., as best as I can remember.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Vintimus Prime posted:

Passed my security+ today. Pretty drat stoked.

Congrats - I'm about to start on that once I take my 70-680. How long did you study? Any book recommendations?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Remy Marathe posted:

Has anyone found a particularly useful book/study source for the Microsoft 70-680 and 70-685 (especially the 70-685), preferably something that helps prepare for the format and design of the exams themselves?

I just finished a class using the "Microsoft Official Academic Course" books for the two, but the 70-685 book was particularly badly written and looks like they didn't even give it a once-over for typos and errors. At this point I plan to continue to lab and work with all the tools introduced, and will be digging for more Professor Messer videos, but would like something that gives a more specific idea of the what the test is like. I'm a little worried that the cert exam will be full of shoddily written questions, like questions with one "correct" answer despite more than one of them being strictly true.

Prefacing this by saying that I've yet to take the test, so take it with a grain of salt. This is all concerning the 70-680.

But I bought myself the Dan Poulton book, and my job bought me the William Panek book. Between the two of them I like the Poulton book best, though I've enjoyed having both of them.

I've been wondering how much additional studying will be required to pass the 685 exam when/if I get the 680 done with...

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Just got back from passing my 70-680! Wasn't sure when I clicked Finish, I got hammered on a bunch of BranchCache configuration questions when my knowledge of that was basically limited to the fact that it exists and what it does. Time to review that and then onto the next... thinking Security+.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Crunchtime posted:

what all did you use to study?

The Poulton book, the Panek book, and Professor Messer videos.

Of the two books I liked the Poulton one a little better, but they're both good. Work offered to buy me one so I let them buy me the Panek one.

If you're planning on taking it, the one bit of advice I'd offer is to make sure you know DISM command options well, since it comes in for both .wim files and .vhd's, and was covered more than a couple of times in both instances for me (specifically adding drivers, packages, and changing Windows 7 editions).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

Congrats!

Though I looked at the exam objectives and they seem pretty... basic.

"Candidates for this exam operate in computing environments that use Microsoft Windows 7 as a desktop operating system in an enterprise environment. Candidates should have at least one year of experience in the IT field, as well as experience implementing and administering any Windows client operating system in a networked environment."

I feel like if you have one year of experience in desktop you probably can do 75% of this exam already. I don't know, maybe it's more in depth than the objective let on.

Security+ is good. Just read the Gibson and use CBTnugget's free trial. I have an exam coupon from a review site if you want it. I wish they sent it to me before I registered for the drat test.
It's not so much in-depth (well, it is) as it is very particular. They want you to know off the top of your head command line options for imagex, dism, winrs, diskpart, etc. Nothing that someone taking the test shouldn't be familiar with, but I know I usually do a 5 second Google or dism /? and make sure I've got the syntax right if it's something I don't run every day, generally speaking.

But then they'll also ask you something like, "After preparing a machine to serve as a reference image, what utility should you use to remove system-specific data prior to capturing it as an image?"

So overall, yeah, not too bad.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Security+ Should be pretty easy for someone who is generally into computers, especially if you have a little knowledge of what kinds of threats are out there. You do need to read through a study guide because there might be vocabulary that you aren't aware of.
Personally, I think Phishing is a great word to describe any attack where the attacker is attempting to fraudulently obtain sensitive information but there's all sorts of cutesy terms like "vishing" and "Smishing"
On the test if they ask you what it's called when someone sends you an SMS message asking for sensitive information, "Phishing" is incorrect.

I'm really looking forward to starting on it, honestly. I'd have bought the book already if work wasn't going to foot the bill for me when I ask for it Monday.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone here get their MCSA in Win 7? I'm debating studying for the 70-685.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like it'd be much of a jump to go from passing the 70-680 to studying for the 70-685.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I'll see how I feel - I put in an order for the Darril Gibson book and I hope to take the exam pretty soon. It'd feel pretty nice to be an MCSA, even if it is just for an OS that's in the tail-end of its life.

Based on what I've seen so far in the way of study materials, it seems like stuff I encounter on a regular basis, as opposed to the 70-680 which was mostly just academic for what I do now. So hopefully I'll feel confident going in with just a quick once-over of the book.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sweet, I'm taking at least one during that timeframe.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bigass Moth posted:

Is network+ pointless if I plan on getting a ccna?

Somewhat. Others would just give you a flat "yes."

No employer is going to say, "Oh, this candidate has his CCNA, but this one has his CCNA and his Network+!"

Prefacing this by saying that I'm speaking as someone who has a Network+ but not CCNA - Network+ can be a pretty good lead-up to ICND1. That is, a lot of what you learn while studying for Network+ will be a good stepping stone to ICND1, which leads to ICND2... once I had the Network+ stuff down, I figured I might as well get certified for it, so I did. If you have the spare cash to spend, or if work pays for certs, go for it. The time you spend studying for Network+ won't be a total waste that only helps you get your Network+.

But if you feel like you can get your CCNA in relatively short order, I wouldn't spend the money unless you have some other reason to be Network+ (work asking for it, getting over an HR wall somewhere, etc).

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 6, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Mad Wack posted:

A typical PM's day ... is several days worth of back to back meetings with stakeholders at various levels, calls and text messages to executives ... very late night (think 1AM) and early morning calls to testers in other countries, overseas outsourced programmers, etc.

Reaffirming for me my complete lack of interest in pursuing a PMP certification/career. Kudos to the people who can do it but man, that is not for me.

Regardless, thanks very much for the reading list, I noticed the same (people's questions going unanswered).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure I convinced my boss to purchase a department subscription for CBT Nuggets. He said he'll have to talk to someone but seemed pretty certain we'd get it. :peanut:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bigass Moth posted:

What info do nuggets provide that the course books don't?

None. It's just a different style of presentation that lots of people (myself included) find to be helpful. They aren't really a replacement to a book (or a class, if it's that type of certification), but they're a good supplement that may help to shorten how long you take to prepare for an exam and/or enhance your understanding and retention of it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone ever gotten their Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT)?

My boss is interested in making our department an Apple Self-Servicing Account and it looks like you need an ACMT on-staff to get any parts beyond keyboards and memory. I'm not really dying to be Apple certified but it wouldn't hurt, and they'd pay for everything.

Edit: Okay this is actually already making me twitch:

Apple posted:

Traditionally, to deploy computers, you would create system images and copy them to
each computer in the organization. Deploying computers this way creates consistency
in computer configurations, but it makes more work for your IT organization, which
has to maintain a set of images and ensure that those images contain the latest
operating system updates and apps.

Instead, Apple recommends hands-off deployment. With hands-off deployment, you
can give your users their new Mac computers and allow them to perform the initial
configuration by downloading the software they need. They can do this from an
internal website or the Mac App Store.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 15, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Zeratanis posted:

AMCT is quite easy and isn't even proctored, if memory serves me right. My friend who had to get it for work constantly mocks it and its sub-certs.

Looks like you might be thinking of the Apple Certified Associate? I was getting them confused too earlier.

Anyway, thanks for the responses all, it does sound pretty easy so I guess I'll devote a little time to studying for it. I should probably learn Macs better anyway if I'm going to work in academia. :sigh:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Elucidarius posted:

I'm kinda nervous because every practice test/sample question test I've taken I've gotten an 85%. Guess it's time to up my studying more!

This is kind of the opposite of what I would be thinking, were I you?

Edit for more content: Registered for the 70-685 exam Feb 7, which would get me my first MCSA if I pass. I haven't done nearly enough studying but between the fact that it's covering what I do all day and that I'll double down today and until then, so I feel pretty good. Plus that awesome second chance program means that if I fail the first try that work's paying for, I'll get a retry for free.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 20, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Elucidarius posted:

Woo, passed the Security+ with a 787. Not as high as I'd hoped but given that I have no professional experience or previous certificates, I'm pretty happy.

Very nice start. Congrats! I remember getting my first cert and feeling like "Hey, I'm kinda legitimate now." :)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Quaelopec posted:

I'm looking to get my Net+ finally. Are the suggestions for it in the OP still fine or are there better resources you guys prefer now?

Preemptive warning that you might get people telling you to skip Network+ and just go for ICND1. There is a lot of overlap though Network+ gives you a lot of high level conceptual takes on things that might be helpful for you, depending on where you're at. I liked what I got out of it, personally.

Anyway, I took and passed the test using Mike Meyers' book. I liked it. A lot of people here like Todd Lammle for the CCNA book, and he's got a Net+ one too, so you might consider that. I've got no experience with it though.

Also, check out Professor Messer for his Network+ videos; they're basically as good as CBT Nuggets imo, and free.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

I went through the 20+ sample Network+ questions and got all but two correct. If that's really representative of the difficulty I feel like I should do this one right away for my first cert.

:lol: Uh yeah I don't think you'll have any trouble with it. Though at your experience level, I'm not sure if the cost/benefit ratio's good enough for you to even pay for the exam?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Do you guys think there's ever a risk of getting too many certifications? Assuming that someone's not using test dumps and such.

Just wondering since my job is willing to pay for basically everything and I'm starting to take full advantage of it... just don't want to go overboard and make my resume look odd for my experience level.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

The simple answer to this question is 'No', but here's my more complicated opinion.

There's only so much time in the day, and as most people progress in their IT career they tend to start specializing a bit in certain areas. Someone with multiple certifications spanning several disciplines would make an eyebrow raise, but that's about it. I would question what kind of position they were really looking for. Nothing wrong with gaining lots of entry level certs, it helps validate you have some good experience, but someone who has the time to be a current CCNP, MCSE, and VCP, either they're trying to collect certs like Pokemons or have zero life outside of work. A junior level person with some entry level Microsoft certs, a CCENT, and an A+ would actually show a really solid IT foundation to grow on.

A note about certifications: To me certifications mean you know how to study and pass a test, and have a reasonable knowledge of the subject matter being tested. They don't prove to me that you know how to deal with real world production IT at all. Certifications are a compliment to your professional work experience, not a replacement. The sauteed onions and mushrooms topping your ribeye steak of experience. A well rounded candidate has formal education, certifications, and good work experience. 2 out of 3 ain't bad either though.

Makes good sense - thanks to you and the others for replying back.

In reality, I'm in no danger of approaching levels like you're describing. I only have A+, Network+, and my 70-680 right now (though I'm scheduled to take my 70-685 Friday for MCSA: Win 7), and for the rest of the year I'm hoping for Security+ and CCNA. Maybe one of the MCSA Server 2008 exams if I'm lucky. So if nothing else I think like you said, I'll continue getting all the foundation-level certs I can, until I start leaning toward one specialty or another. And while I confess I do have a small desire to collect certs like they're Pokemons, my actual life (five month-old, wife, desire to have fun some times, and other good things like that) would be preventing that anyway.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Failed my 70-685 yesterday. I definitely took it earlier than I would've otherwise cause of the Second Chance thing, but I was pretty close. Rescheduled for two weeks out, reading through the book and redoing all the exercises. Not too worried, but I wish I was done with this one. Kinda tired of studying Win 7.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

incoherent posted:

what did the graph say you failed on?

Managing and Maintaining Systems that Run Windows 7 Client, and Identifying Cause of and Resolving Desktop Application Issues.

Worst 3 were 1.3, Solve software failure escalations, 2.1, Solve enterprise logon Issues, and 2.2, Solve enterprise network connectivity issues.

Kinda just did scattershot across the whole test, really. :sigh:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Broletariat posted:

Total nub here. Have a degree in an unrelated field and want to jump in. no experience. is it better for me to gun for certs like A+ and Network+ and just try to land an entry position? Should I go back to school for a degree?

You might want to try to get a Net+ to get your foot in the door, but keep applying to help desk type jobs while you do.

And no, you definitely don't need to go back to school to get another degree.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Slig posted:

I want to start working my way through A+, Network+, and Security+ and I'm looking for the current most effective materials.

My plan was to start with Messer's videos just to get a basic grasp and then do heavier study with books and such but the A+ and Net+ videos are from 2011-2012. How frequently does the material on CompTIA exams change? Is the information from those videos still an accurate reflection of the current tests?

Once the test is released, I don't believe that the material within it changes. So as long as the version that Professor Messer's videos is covering matches what's posted on CompTIA's website, you're fine. The only updates that I'm aware of happen when they actually retire a test and come out with a new one (they'll probably come out with the Windows 8.1 focused A+ exam right when Windows 10 hits the market).

Same's true of the other two as well - so if Messer's stuff is covering the same exam version, you're good.

And even if you aren't, the material doesn't change that much, so you'd still get a lot of good from watching his videos.

Edit - in my opinion, the test A+ book is Mike Meyers' and the best Security+ book is Darril Gibson's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

I came out of helpdesk/desktop support into sysadmin by getting my MCSAs. I had zero networking experience and very moderate networking knowledge - basic ping/traceroute, making cables, knowing a little bit about different physical network layouts.

The craziest stupidest worst part about the MCSAs is that they test Windows as a switch/router/gateway using Windows' native capabilities to do so, at least as of the first one I took for 2k3. The subsequent MCSA upgrade exams to 2k8 and 2k12 didn't touch on much other than IPv6 implementation in 2k8 and 2k12, more on iSCSI, etc. The other Windows Server networking concepts are mostly DNS, DHCP, etc.

Sybex books cover everything for those. Home labbing it up is very much encouraged - you're gonna learn a lot. But you 100% do not need a CCNA to take the MCSA/MCSE course track. You can be successful as a sysadmin without a CCNA. You'd get more more feet in more doors with one, but Sybex prep stuff covers basic networking concepts well enough to talk to a networking team or engineer and understand what they're saying. It won't teach you how to configure a Cisco switch or router under any circumstances, and you'll be shaking your head at the unironic requirement that Microsoft has for Windows servers as switches, but you'll get what you need from the prep material. I can't speak to CBT Nuggets since I did all my prep work from books - I just learn better that way, everyone is different - but prepping for the exams comprising an MCSA is a lot to learn.

From what I've seen and heard, the 2k12 MCSE is nothing more than a vamped-up course in Hyper-V with no application outside of pure Hyper-V companies. If you want a real one-two punch to lever you out of support and into sysadmin, get the 2k8 MCSA (three exams) and upgrade to 2k12 (one exam). You really do learn a lot, and if you want to take your time prepping for exams, four exams in one year is probably very reasonable.

I really appreciate you writing all this up. After I finish with Security+ I was planning on going for my CCNA next, but I think you've convinced me that I might want to go for my Server certs first.