Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
A kind goon offered me this once, and now I can offer it to some of you:

Red Hat sent me a 15% off code for on training and certification.

The discount code can be used a maximum of three times by any combination of users. Code must be redeemed online by 19-MAY-19.

PM me if you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

ParserGirl posted:

months off and on studying and being too nervous to schedule the exam

The last 7 years of my life.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The AWS website has free cloud practitioner training videos and practice exams. Do them and it's a guaranteed pass.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
For RHCSA you really can't go wrong with Sander Van Vugt. He has a bunch of videos up on YouTube so you can try him out and see whether or not you like him.

His RHCSA 8 book is not yet released though. I don't think any of the reputable authors have one out yet.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

5er posted:

I took the RH124 and 134 courses directly from the redhat.com officially recommended training, just last month. I've spent a lot of time the past 3 years with CentOS7, and just about everything I picked up from those RHEL8-based classes was immediately useful to the CentOS7 computers I tend. I'm scheduled for RHCSA on Nov22, and I'm kind of anxious about attrition between then and now; I'm going to check out the videos you recommended as I bet they'd be helpful.

Grinding through a few practice exams a week will keep you in form. Once you get a feel for them you can even make up your own.

Do not skip networking.

This Sander video is great for setting up the NFS/Samba/LDAP server: https://youtu.be/R3MX307ZD5E

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 23, 2019

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Zotix posted:

What's the best route for getting into Linux? Im considering Linux+ -> RHCSA. Is this a wise path? It seems like going right for RHCSA might be too much right off the bat if I don't have fundamentals first? I downloaded and installed Ubuntu, but elsewhere I've been advised to jump in with CentOS since it's partnered with RH. Does this seem logical? Also any specific courses you recommend for this?

RHCSA is the fundamentals, and it's a hands-on exam so you'll learn and retain more than you would with Linux+. Even if you don't register for the exams, following the curriculum is still a really good way to learn the basics. Use CentOS virtual machines for the Red Hat exams.

I passed the RHCSA using the Jang book, and the Sander Van Vugt videos. I considered them well worth the money.

Use this video to set up your "server" that will present storage to your practice VMs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3MX307ZD5E

Send me a PM if you have any questions (even stupid basic ones) or want to talk about it. I got 300/300 on my RHCSA, failed and then passed my RHCE last year, and I'm studying for PE180 now.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
So I've bought Red Hat PE180: Preliminary Exam in Containers, Kubernetes, & Openshift. I got a 50% off coupon, making it an $80 attempt.

I'm studying Kubernetes and OpenShift on Udemy, doing a program aimed at the Certified Kubernetes Administrator cert. The topics seem like there is a lot of crossover, but I'm basically starting from zero and I have no idea if the Red Hat exam is comparable, or drastically easier/harder. Does anybody have any experience with this? Long shot, I know.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Basically Sander and the Michael Jang book.

Sander is doing a 65% off deal where you can get his RHCSA ebook and class for $117, less than the cost of the Essentials class.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Soon you'll be earning enough to afford a boat!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

freezingprocess posted:

A+ certified.

loving shocked. I feel like I don't even deserve it. However, I'll take it.

I felt the same way when I passed the A+. Good job goon.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Sander is very good but expensive. I bought his course for RHCSA/RHCE and it was worth the money.

Look up his LabIPA YouTube video to get your lab environment started.

Whatever course you're on, as long as you can pass the practice tests, you'll do fine.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Sacrist65 posted:

Got through chapter 3 of my RHCSA book. How hard is this cert for someone with limited linux exp?

If you set up your practice machines according to Sander van Vugt's instructions, you will have a pretty good study environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3MX307ZD5E

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

calusari posted:

This has helped me study for the RHCSA, it sets up a lab environment for you: https://github.com/rdbreak/rhcsa8env

This is awesome, thank you.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Boba Pearl posted:

How much do you guys make a year with these certs those who want to share? (Also general area.)

Red Hat Certified Engineer
Oracle Database Associate
Oracle SQL Expert
(Also an A+ like 10 years ago)

$125k plus bonus in the Boston area. It’s possible I could do better but I like my company.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I did last week. There's no room for flexibility on this. I had to go fetch a wired keyboard out of my closet.

It matches very closely with what a semi-proctored exam at a Red Hat partner location was like.

The proctor will make you pick up the webcam and scan it around the room. Don't mouth any words while you're reading the questions either or they'll think you're reading them out to some unseen listener.

ALSO: make sure your webcam can clearly focus on your ID. I had trouble getting it to make the text on my driver's license visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Hughmoris posted:

Is there an Oracle DBA certification that is worth looking at, if I want to get my foot in the door in the DBA world? I see Oracle popping up quite a bit in govt job descriptions.

My limited experience has been in SQL Server.

They’re all multiple choice exams with plenty of gotcha questions, so in my opinion, no. Also the instructional materials are not that great, like worse than Microsoft.

The good news is that in general there are a lot more SQL Server DBA jobs out there than Oracle DBA jobs, though the government and banks do love them some Oracle.