Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XakEp posted:

I think some info about OSCP (http://www.offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/oscp-offensive-security-certified-professional/) should be added to the OP. There's a number of good certs on that site, but just having Sec+ and CISSP for security isn't enough.

Great OP tho. Haven't looked it over for ages.

One of the security guys at my job just suggested this when I asked about the CISSP. He says it's great for getting passed HR but no one else here cared that he had once he started, they were more impressed by his ability to actually do things. OSCP and CEH were on his list of fun and usually useful security certs to go for. I'm currently on the hell desk with my Sec/Net+ looking for a way out/up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BulimicGoat posted:

Passed the 701 today.

Anybody need help with their floppy drive?

Don't Copy That Floppy

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Also I'd quibble that the result of a web server being totally unreachable because the client has no route to it would not be "404 not found". The request would just time out. Doesn't materially affect the answer but it's sloppy and dumb at best and potentially confusing at worst.

As if I wasn't paranoid about taking the ICND1 exam already, there's errors I have to be worried about too.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How far out would you schedule the ICND-1 exam if you'd just finished the CBT nuggets video series and read the Lammle book? I think I'm procrastinating because the date isn't looming down on me. Also I need to do some labs with some simulators.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reiz posted:

I would at least go over the exam objectives and configure everything at least once in GNS3. I would watch the videos, attempt to configure whatever the video was about after the video (important, imo, because any idiot can follow instructions along with a tape), and then google whatever I couldn't figure out.

e: And then you're probably good to schedule the ICND-1. Probably the sooner the better, since the longer you spend not actively configuring things the more you'll forget.

I think I'll do all the labs in the book, and if it all makes sense, schedule for a week later :sweatdrop:

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrBigglesworth posted:

I am in Security+ land and we have Transcender for practice. This morning I took the entire suite of questions 411 and scored 94%. Only 1 chapter deep in this reading, I guess/hope I am off to a good start.

Thanks for your chart! Def going to put it to use. Sec+ isn't hard at all. It's a lot of common sense and remember the term/acronym.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

psyopmonkey posted:

An option is to go to your local College and talk to some of the IT or STEM Professors. I know a few people that ETS'ed and got their sponsorship that way.

Im taking my CISSP in May; CEH in early June. My brain hurts already...

I eventually want to get both of those. What did you use to study for the CEH?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Parlett316 posted:

Any tips on studying for Security+? I'm about to dive into the David Prowse AUTHORIZED CERT GUIDE.

The Darryl Gibson book and test book were what I used as my only sources and I did really well.
http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Secur...y+darryl+gibson

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZergFluid posted:

Passed ICND1.

ICND2 material looks rougher :/

Did you build a lab to study for the ICND1?

rock2much fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 14, 2014

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey ICND1 guys. I'm going through a review to take the test soon, and I don't understand this question and the answer in the book

quote:

You configure a router interface with the IP address 192.168.10.62 255.255.255.192 and receive the following error:
code:
Bad mask /26 for address 192.168.10.62
Why?

The answer was "ip subnet-zero is not enabled on this router" but the way I understood it was the block size is 64, so 192.168.10.0 to .63 are valid for this subnet with .63 being the broadcast, and .0 being the network, so I'm OK to use 192.168.10.1 to .62 as a router IP.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh it's the whole block! I thought it was just the first IP that I couldn't use. Thanks!

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Todd Lammle's CCENT Study Guide (where this question came from, Ch4 Review Questions) and Chris Bryant's ICND-1 Study Guide. Bryant's book has a weird composition to it and some errors but the last chapter on subnetting and finding host/broadcast/VLSM solutions has a lot of useful practice questions. Lammle's book has a lot of good practice questions in it as well. I'm going through that book again and taking notes this time, hoping it sticks so I can finally take this exam after dragging my feet for about 2 years or so.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

inignot posted:

Passed CCIE-RS written this weekend. Ugh...v5.

Congrats! Eventually I want to get this. How many months of suffering (studying) did you put in?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

internet jerk posted:

I know, I wasn't being totally serious. Except end user support really does suck far more often than it doesn't.

I didn't realize how much hate I had built up inside my body until I got off of the help desk. Now I smile at babies, tip better, I remembered how to laugh.. Thanks network group!

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

high six posted:

I took (And kinda failed it) about a month ago. Make sure you study the FHRPs and Netflow, because there was a lot more on the test than I expected.

The guy who does the Shrikecast CCNA vids on youtube recommends doing the whole CCNA package in one shot. I'm considering doing that.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All our IT employees can get CBT nuggets at request, $5k/year for classes, but we have to pay for our own tests.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Orc posted:

Passed with an 800 :yotj:

Does anyone else feel like they are bombing the test the entire time theyre taking it? I've been like that for every exam I've taken so far.

Yup! Also congrats!
I'm worried about the icnd-1 because I'm so used to being able to check over my work and looking at old questions helped a lot with S+ and N+

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been doing well on the Network+ exam guide chapter quizzes, got 97% on the included practice test but with the Pearson website practice quizzes I'm getting my rear end handed to me so badly I feel like my brain is broken.

I did all the practice questions in this book and passed with an 891. I don't think I used any other resources but it's been almost 3 years at this point.

Now I get to worry about passing the ICND-1 :(

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any recommended resource for free ICND-1 practice tests? I'll even buy a book o'tests from Amazon if it's not too pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any recommendations for MS Teams training and (unrelated) practice tests for CCENT 100-105? I need Teams for work (VoIP) and the CCENT cert is just something I'd like to get after letting my Net+ lapse years ago.