Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Woot, passed RHCSA! 283/300. I thought it being practical was really fun. I used every minute and could've used more.

My employer paid for the 5 day rapid track classroom training. I was worried about the accelerated pace but the Red Hat instructor was excellent. I usually self study for certs with a book so I'm impressed in the amount of info that was condensed into 4 days. Plus you get the "this probably will/won't be on the exam" hints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

LochNessMonster posted:

I just planned my exam, first open spot was in february though. How did you prep outside of the fast track?

Not a whole lot (hopefully that comes as a relief!). Last week was my only week dedicated to the cert. I didn't think my prior Linux experience was that impressive (imposter syndrome?)...I rent/admin a VPS (CentOS 6) to host a couple personal websites and torrent, I experiment with different distros on my home desktop for fun every now and then (mostly a Windows guy), and more recently did some professional Linux application support. None of it was very "enterprise"-y.

Besides the classroom, Red Hat's book, and my notes, I used a CentOS 7 VM at home, Red Hat's objectives (do I know how to ____ ?), and this site to study. The objective overviews/practices there are pretty close to the ones in the classroom and the sample exam and sample quiz are OK too.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

MrKatharsis posted:

How quickly did they email you the score? I was told three business days but it's been a full week and nothing but silence. I just sent them a support ticket.

I was told three business days too but it came sooner than that. Took the exam Friday morning, got the email Sunday afternoon.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

MrKatharsis posted:

Same day as me! You didn't happen to take it in Bellevue, WA by any chance?

Nope, I was in Herndon, VA.

I'm currently going through Splunk's web based training for their Power User and then Admin certifications. Anyone have experiences with either to share? Couldn't find much info. Looks like the certification tests are delivered online and presumably "open book". Is it all multiple choice? I haven't gotten the impression they're terribly difficult tests.