Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Currently looking to switch up my career field and I've decided on IT for a variety of reasons. Right now I'm just studying for the A+ cert using Mike Myers Udemy 1001/1002 courses though I am bit annoyed in that I paid ten bucks for study guides on a cert that I just found out yesterday will be retired in three weeks. Whoops.

Anyways, the vibe I've gotten from reading elsewhere is that the difference between 1001/1002 and 1101/1102 isn't too much of a leap if I am already technically proficient, and that I should be fine to continue using the Mike Myers course. Is that the case or am I setting myself up for failure? I plan on doing some practice exams for 1101/1102 before the real deal, so I think that would definitely tell me if I need to go back and study on something I missed.

Only other question is as far as vouchers, are there any reputable places other than CompTIA I can buy them from for less than what CompTIA charges?

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

have not been a fan of mike myers course at all. professor messer's boring, monotone and dense but his videos track the COMPTIA objectives pretty closely. Myer's has his own system for covering information that is completely unrelated to the A+ objective structure. His videos seem mainly focused on trying to teach you to be a decent PC repairman which is what A+ is supposed to do but doesn't really help you so much with an exam that's mainly focused on making sure you know every single adjective, and how many pins are on particular pieces of RAM. He's been really helpful actually at getting me to understand the way certain computer things work more than the other guys so I wouldn't say he's a bad teacher just one teaching a different course than what he says he is. I've actually found Dion's practice exams and super helpful and the part where he goes over PBQ's to actually be really good grounding for the multiple choice stuff too. Other than that I'm just rereading my ExamCram textbook which I really don't like but its too late and too much money to switch to a better one (The author will often forget about facts hes supposed to cover and will just cram it into a single sentence in a different paragraph. His explanation for GPT in disc formatting was just the ways it upgraded MBR without ever explaining what MBR was as a baseline or even giving me the full name. I actually would have been completely lost without Myer's explanation on the subject credit where its due.)

TL;DR all the A+ exam prep guys suck in different ways except for Dion whose only sin is giving me long rear end stories about him buying his children a tiny pie.

Thanks for the advice! I'm roughly half-way through Meyers' videos on 1001 right now. I'll likely just finish them up (been doing 1-2 hours a day) and look over Messer's videos as well. I'm going on vacation for a few weeks this week, but my plan is to schedule my 1101 exam when I return for sometime in December and hopefully knock that out then. I would love to buy Meyers' A+ book as it's been recommended to me by several people, but the 1101/1102 edition isn't out till next month and it feels silly to buy the current one since the 1001/1002 exams are being retired later on this month.

Right now the one thing that has given me a solid confidence boost is most of the material I've reviewed is pretty much stuff I already knew or at least was vaguely aware of. I also took a practice test for the hell of it and ended up with a 78% percent, which wasn't bad to me considering I hadn't really studied or reviewed anything prior to taking it. I think my biggest failings there are just printer stuff and some of the more minutia networking stuff I haven't touched or thought about since high school.

Anyways, I'll likely chime in here more as I get closer to taking the damned thing, as well as what next steps I'll take afterwards. Fully aware I will likely need to suck it up and work a help desk for 6 months to a year before being able to move higher up, but it's a foot in the door and I'm happy to take it.

Also your "I Eat Tacos Every Valentines Day" mnemonic device has been helpful, thanks for posting that.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Finally took my A+ 1101 today and passed :toot:

Wanted to take it earlier but travel plans got in the way. Hope to get the 1102 knocked out within the next month, and then I'm moving on to the Net+ and Security+.

Question about the CCNA, as I've been thinking about that as well. I studied for it back in high school in a vocational program, but opted to take a different path at the time. Anyways, is it something I can realistically self-study and pass, or would I be better off signing up for a course somewhere? Zero idea if employers care if you took a course to get the cert or not, I would imagine the answer is no, but you never know.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Passed my 1102 exam earlier today, officially A+ Certified :toot:

Def. felt like I was bombing it because either some of the questions really did not feel like they pertained to anything I studied for (and that's beyond the "We include some questions that are unscored on content you have not seen in any objectives" stuff), or they were worded in such a way that it was very "But it could be two of those options?" I ended up passing with a higher score than I did on the 1101, so it all worked out.

Gonna take the rest of the year off and start studying for the Net+ and MS-900 in the new year. I've got a bunch of study materials for the Net+, but is there any recommended material/courses for the MS-900? It's pretty short so can't imagine there's too much out there.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Took the MS-900, Microsoft 365 Certified: Fundamentals exam this morning. Passed by the skin of my teeth, mostly because I didn't study enough for it thinking it would be a lot easier than it was. Still, pretty basic stuff if you've ever worked with MS 365. Can't imagine anyone already knee deep in their career would need to get it, but it was recommended to me by a friend as something to help with getting my foot in the door somewhere.

Onto the Net+, and finally sitting down and learning Python.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Passed my Network+ exam this morning. :toot:

Had the usual "I'm bombing this!" anxiety followed by the testing center's internet going out like three times, causing my exam to crash and restart. Didn't lose any time but it def. threw me off my game. Guess I'm just glad I took it at a testing center so they could tell Pearson Vue whereas if I took it at home, I'd have been hosed. Anyways, onwards to Security+.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Passed my Security+ exam this morning. I thought it was significantly harder than the Net+ despite seeing people say the opposite. Certainly felt like I was bombing the entire time, more so than any other time I've felt that way taking an exam. The PBQs were loving something else as well.

Now all I gotta do is take my AZ-900 at some point in the near future...oh and find a job. Some law firm wants to interview me for an internal help desk position, but my IT friends are all telling me to run away screaming from it. Probably gonna just treat it as a "interview" experience in any case.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah so long as I'm within reasonable driving distance to an exam site, I'll always take exams there and not at home. I've heard enough horror stories with proctors being really nit picky that it doesn't seem worth the convenience of taking at home.

Hell, when the internet went out for my Net+ exam, I was lucky it was at a testing center and they could tell Pearson Vue that it was on them that I wasn't able to finish on time. Otherwise that would have been 300 dollars down the drain.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Took and passed the AZ-900 today. Only studied for like two days using MS Learn and some Udemy practice tests. It was mindbogglingly easy. Like easier than the MS-900.

Though I was convinced it was going to be much harder than it was. Saw a bunch of random posts on Reddit saying "Oh you have no idea how hard this exam is. It's actually really HARD and I studied for two weeks!" though, that really should have told me how easy it was going to end up being.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah that's entirely what it is, basic "What is IaaS?" and "Azure offers what kind of active directory?" questions.

I had originally figured that's what I was going to be seeing on the exam. But the way some people were describing it elsewhere, I was worried that I underestimated how much I'd need to study and how hard it'd be. But nope, easy as hell if you have any basic cloud knowledge.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

skooma512 posted:

Az-900 seems to be geared towards people who need familiarity with the platform but not to administrate it, you probably would be better just getting 104. Your network experience will be helpful because there are objectives about virtual networking and basic network concepts

Yeah I took it last month and it's pretty basic. Mostly "Do you know what a cloud is? Do you know what differentiates Azure from other offerings? Do you know what Saas is?" kinda questions.

Honestly the MS-900 was harder, and I can't exactly explain why except the questions there felt a lot more in depth.

Anyways, I might do this challenge to snag a AZ-104 voucher.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hey just got my network+ today after doing 12 years of corporate IT

woooooo

:toot:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah Security+ has a ton of crossover with Network+ material, I did mine within a month of each other and it made it much easier to get through.

I did think the Security+ exam was a lot harder though, even though I scored a lot higher on that than I did for Net+. I saw a lot of people saying it was much easier compared to Network+ but didn't feel that way at all. Still though, if you did well enough on Net+, can't imagine Sec+ will be that bad.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 13, 2023

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

incoherent posted:

r/azure is doing a salary check and the numbers dropping are absurd for people repping AZ-900 (with IT experience to match) alone.

:stare:

What the gently caress? Where's my money?

I mean I'm only three months into my desktop support role with a CompTIA trifecta and the AZ-900 (and the MS-365 one too), but if I can parley that into a higher paying WFH gig after a year of this, wheeeeeeeeee.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 2, 2023

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I quit my last job without anything lined up just so I could get my Trifecta knocked out and change to an IT career. I had a 3 month gap and no one gave a poo poo, I just said I had some family/personal stuff that required my full attention. Still ended up with three offers without issue.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

My manager wants me to go for my CCNA and said they'll cover the cost of study materials and most likely the cert itself. So that's pretty sweet.

With that in mind, is the course offered through Cisco with the labs the best way to go about prepping for it, or is there another preferred course/study material?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah a friend also recommended Boson so I'm gonna take a peak over there and see if that fits my needs. Thanks guys!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Eeesh, thanks for the reminder to always stick with a testing site. Congrats on passing! :toot:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

About 2/3s of the way through my CCNA course and I keep going from "wow this really is an inch deep and a mile wide, I've got this" to "oh my god, why does STP and HSRP make total sense to me one minute, and the next I'm a complete moron?"

On the plus side, have really only done like a third of the labs so far, but the CLI isn't really phasing me and I'm picking it up pretty well. Thank you childhood that was filled with playing games exclusively in DOS for that one, I think.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Rotten Cookies posted:

This is where I'm at and it's a relief to hear someone else say the same thing. I'm assuming you're also going through JeremyIT stuff? The labs really help/cement things for me since I learn by doing. But I totally feel you on how wildly different some topics are by depth.

Nah, using Neil Anderson's Udemy course. I've slacked with labs, but I planned on going through them once I finish the main course (only about 30% left now). I managed to get my employer to pay for Boson's lab and exam sim, so I'm hopeful that helps a ton.

Still having those "this is so easy! No wait, I don't know loving poo poo!" Moments, but it's nice to hear I'm not alone :)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Sixfools posted:

I took the CCNA today (and passed), labs are back.

Hey silly question, are you allowed to go back to questions to review your answers or no?

I saw someone elsewhere say that once you move on from a question, you can't return to it, which if true, gently caress.

I have my exam scheduled for next Friday and I feel like I'm gonna bomb, but I bought the safeguard option so :shrug:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Sixfools posted:

As they said above, yeah it's just one shot for each question. You do get partial credit for "Choose two, three etc." type questions and the labs as well are also partial credit. Have you been taking practice tests at all?

Yeah, I've been studying since August and taking the Boson exams since just after Thanksgiving. They are loving harrrrrrd and my results ain't great (highest thus far is about 60%), but it's all good. I review my answers and the explanations as to why I'm wrong. Also using that IT & Security quiz app to test myself whenever I'm watching TV or whatever. Saving the last practice test for next week so I can really cram.

I've been doing labs as well. I'm fortunate that work is quiet and my boss is pretty much encouraging me to study for this instead of just idling away. I'm going to do my best to pass in the first go, but if I don't, I get to try one more time without paying a dime.

Sixfools posted:

CCNA Stuff

Congrats! :toot:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CompTIA does let you go back and forth, which is great because as you said, sometimes you will see a question later on that gives the answer to a previous question.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Idk if they're still doing it, but you can sign up for a webinar through MS and get a code to take it for free. That's what I did earlier this year.

It's also a mind bogglingly easy cert, I mean still do some studying for it but honestly MS-900 was somehow more difficult.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Passed the CCNA exam this morning :toot:

I felt the most sanguine taking this cert compared to the sec+ and net+ certs where I constantly felt like I was bombing. It was hard, but I just kept telling myself to just loving send it, and worst case scenario I take it again with the safeguard option I paid for. Honestly having that in the back of my head throughout the exam more than paid for itself.

Think I'm done with certs for awhile though, started out the year getting my CompTIA trifecta knocked out before landing a job, then my boss at my new job encouraged me to earn this. I'm hopeful this helps open things up for me going forward.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Currently doing desktop support, but I'd like to jump into the netops side of things at some point. My office had a network engineer that left before I started. The position was going to be filled but was put on hold till a merger went through. With that recently wrapping up, it's most likely getting opened up again next year, so I'm angling for that right now.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

hark posted:

Hey thread, just wondering if anyone has ever done any training for any cert through udemy and thought it was worthwhile. I have access to one of those unlimited accounts (I forget what they're called because I don't frequent the platform much) through my work and I figure why not use that to train for certifications of some kind?

I currently have no certs but I'm halfway through my associates in computer networking and it's all heavily CCNA leaning material and our class workbooks are Cisco, so I assume that'll be the first thing I try to get.

Any suggestions for specific courses would be great, and if not, I'm open to other platforms even if they're paid. Just wanna try to utilize this free poo poo while also sticking it to my current workplace by using the udemy account they give me to get a different job.

I used Udemy for most of my certs (CompTIA trifecta, CCNA). Neil Anderson's CCNA course is pretty solid and has good labs as well. For CompTIA, I just used Mike Meyers stuff and it was pretty good as well.

For practice tests, Dion Academy's are well regarded for preparing for CompTIA's exams.

chin up everything sucks posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for what cert I should go for next? I have my Sec+, Network+ and CySA+ and I haven't decided what else to go for. I'm currently waiting for my security clearance to finalize and I'm in a very boring helldesk job with a couple free hours a day and free access to cbtnuggets.

Echoing going for your CCNA, my net+ and sec+ gave me a really solid foundation going into the CCNA, and I have no doubts the same would apply to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

salartarium posted:

Azure is temporarily giving out free vouchers for their AI certs if you do their Learn Module.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloudskillschallenge/ai/registration/2024#choose-your-challenge

I’ve confirmed you can double dip with the 30 Days to Learn challenge and after you complete the module for the AI cert you can use the 50% voucher on a different exam.

Few days late, but thanks! Free AI-900 here I come.

So I've been shadowing/talking to a lead networking engineer at work, and he suggested I pick a cloud cert path and start working at it now that my CCNA is done. I've already got my AZ-900, and my company primarily uses Azure stuff, so going to start tackling the AZ-104 at some point in the near future.

That said, how hard is it in comparison to the CCNA?