Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
CISSP in 4 days, not sure I am ready yet. Is it as bad as they say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I can't answer your question since I haven't taken the test myself, but I would be curious to hear back from you after you take the test. Are you going for the full thing, or the Associate of ISC toward CISSP? Also, do you have any other security related certs like Security+ or SSCP?

Full thing, I have the 5 years in Infosec for it. I have ITIL foundations to my name, but no security certs.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

routenull0 posted:

I went in thinking I was very ill-prepared. Work sent us to a 5day class that was worthless and I refused to read the Shaun Harris book. So instead, I listened to a bunch of videos on my drive to Atlanta (5hrs) to take the test the next day.

When I took it, I got a test that was heavy around networking / access control / disaster recovery, which played well to my strengths (12yrs a network engineer). I left thinking I failed and was really surprised to get an email saying I passed.

Not sure if the test has changed since I took it back in 2011, but it was a 250 question scan-tron exam, 25 of the questions do not count as they are beta questions for the next exam. You have something like 5hrs to complete the exam and I was done in little over an hour.

It moved to computer this year (thank god), but same 250 questions 25 don't count. I hope mine focuses on Legal, Access, and DR. If I get Network, Crypto, and Architecture. I might be in trouble.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I can't answer your question since I haven't taken the test myself, but I would be curious to hear back from you after you take the test. Are you going for the full thing, or the Associate of ISC toward CISSP? Also, do you have any other security related certs like Security+ or SSCP?

Passed the test, the questions are as vague and horrible as they say. About 20 questions in I thought it was a lost cause (I thought I was done in by putting it off for months and cramming for about 10 days 8 hour days in a row before the test). It got better as the test went on.

Now I just have to socially engineer someone into vouching for me :).

I recommend studying over months, there is so much information they can pull the questions from, and since it is semi-random you won't know what you are going to get.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

Doug posted:

I think GSEC is nearly equivalent to Sec+. I wouldn't bother with that one. I'd either go with GCED(basically sec++) or GCIH for an entry level GIAC cert. If you can get to a live SANS 504 with John Strand, you'll have a great time.

Edit: I'd only bother with CCNA if you're interested especially in network engineering. Otherwise CCENT or Net+ should be more than sufficient networking knowledge.

SANS 505 was a great class.