Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

I work in data centers as an IT operations/services manager.

I'm looking to get some classes/certs as I'm kind of coasting at my current position and want to position myself to move up and get knowledge to help me in the long run.

I've been looking at ITIL, PMP, Six Sigma, and such, but does anyone have any input on these or certs that would be good for my area?
Better yet, what would be the reputable places to train/take the courses? It seems when i dig into these places that offer training certs there is always mixed opinionsn their legitimacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

pram posted:

I did ITIL Foundation through here:

http://www.thoughtrock.com/theitilexam/

They provide a cbt and then you take an online exam proctored through a webcam.

It's pretty goddamn boring fwiw!

yeah i've read its boring....but is it still a relevant cert? I've read that its lost some of its muster, but people i talk to said, for whatever reason hiring managers cream their pants when they see it.

Personally, i don't really look at certs when i hire techs, other than differing between 2 close candiates, but hiring techs and hiring managers are two different beasts.

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

I need some guidance. I've been doing helpdesk for quite a bit of time. I feel like it's time to start specializing more into things I'm interested in but don't know where to go with it.

Basically, I enjoy communication and organization and standards. I'm fine with servers but where do I go from there? Exchange? Cisco? Lync? Any suggestions would be great. :science:

If you want to be a server admin - Red Hat Cert and Network +
I tend to tell It techs to shy away from cisco unless you plan on being a network engineer. Its a lot of work for something most folks don't care about unless you want to be a network engineering professional.

If you enjoy standards.....six sigma and ITIL are good ones to have, but they arn't cheap.

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

dotster posted:

If you are only going to stay with servers and that is all you want to work on then I kinda agree. Having some data center architecture knowledge is useful if you want to move up in your organization and work better across teams.

I don't thing CCNA Data Center would make your employer think you wanted to be a network guy, maybe a data center guy. Here is the link to the data center exam topics if you want to have a look DCICT.

Its not, the DCICT is perfect as it skims all the topics you need to know and does look good on a resume. Data Center Techs tend to do a lot of physical layer and some lower end software work. They run around and touch things, that's their job. As far as moving up, the CCNA isn't really good unless, like i said you plan on being a network professional technician. Not a manager, not a admin, Not even a network manager of network technicians. Why? Because the CCNA dives into stuff you don't need to know or will never use unless, you guessed it, you do networking....

I have interviewed tons of candidates who put CCNA on their resume and still don't have a clue how any of it works outside of a lab. Learn the poo poo on the data center floor for a couple years, if you want to be a networking technician go for the CCNA and then BECOME A NETWORK TECH. Data Center technicians that have CCNA and don't want to move on to networking pretty much just wasted a ton of money for very little.

I much rather see a Network+ on a resume as it skims more of what you need to know.
DCICT or some kind of entry to mid level data center cert plus network + would actually make me dive into that on a resume as a hiring manager.

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I'd say CCENT at least is useful if you plan to never touch a network career and work with servers only. A networking background can NEVER hurt your understanding of troubleshooting and implementing your servers' raison d'être. CCNA wouldn't hurt. I would say that going beyond CCNA might not be as useful at that point because you'd be specializing in network protocols and such, but I think CCENT is more than worthwhile.

I agree with the CCENT, in fact, if i see that or Network+ I dive in. The reason i recommend Net+ over CCNET is because the future is commodity hardware with open source software.

I always kind of look at Cisco certs with a mild trepidation to just inject a constant a stream of Cisco advocates as networking and hardware folks will most likely recommend Cisco hardware to management as they are most comfortable with it. Its self serving for Cisco, and not for the person learning it. In IT you want to be as flexible as possible, and being able to jump into new technology and not be that guy advocating for obsolete hardware will help you in the long run.

Granted, Cisco is still very vital in today's infrastructure, but I see those waves changing.

The big boy data centers are the early adopters of this, you'll see that cheap hardware start to funnel down to the mid-small level businesses eventually...

BigT fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 26, 2013

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

inignot posted:

This is nuts for two reasons:

1. Good luck with a career in network infrastructure if you're going to exclude anyone who makes non open source products: Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, Dell, HP, Palo Alto, Riverbed, F5, etc.

Ummmm what part did say I overlook people with a CCNEt? I said i prefer net+ to ccnet i never said it was a requirement. Your cisco certs are still good. Don't get too worked up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

jane came by posted:

The discussion touching on the future of networking gear/vendors is interesting, because I'm wondering as someone studying for the ccna if all this effort will be pointless a few years from now when some better and simpler technology comes along.

Pointless? No. Cisco will be here for a long time ago. Its in virtually every major infrastructure there is for networking.