Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

VR Cowboy posted:

Is that an American thing? Where I work we use A exclusively.

Might be. I've never seen or used anything but B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Check out Moodle, it's a popular free Learning Management System.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I haven't found a SCCM book I really like. Most are big on theory, not so great for real world getting poo poo done information. Theory is important, but when you're trying to figure out how to accomplish something in SCCM, lack of real world examples make it difficult.

I did take the 5 day Microsoft Course, but even 40 hours of class time (timed to the slowest person in class) barely scratched the surface.

I've found Windows-Noob to be a great SCCM resource.

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/forum/92-configuration-manager-2012/

I would not 'play around' with SCCM in a production environment. Way to easy to do major damage. See if you can build a test environment.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

loving 70-647 test. I failed it again. Last time with a 683 (1 loving question) this time a 666 (2 loving questions). Now I'm just pissed. I'm going to study my rear end off and buttfuck this goddamn exam in a couple of weeks. It's always the same section that gets me. I've never used RDS in production so it's my weakest area.

Why isn't there a "I pay Microsoft 6 figures a year for support and access to PFE's so I don't have to know this esoteric bullshit" answer on the test?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

penga86 posted:

Sup microsoft test failing buddy. I just failed 70-640 again. I don't know what i'm supposed to do know though. I studied for three weeks nonstop and went into the test and felt like I was going to not only pass but maybe get in the high 800s or 900s. Failed with a 605 :(

Not sure what I can do now to pass, I feel like I should just wait til I move and take a CCNA course or something because obviously I'm not able to pass this test.

Are you having issues with the material or the test format? Test taking skills are almost as important as the technical knowledge with these newer MS tests. They love to try to confuse you. I don't want to call it trickery, but questions like "with the least administrative effort" or the testlets where one line out of a 2 page background blurb changes the answer to the question can be tricky.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I could be mistaken but I believe RedHat is very good about their exams matching the posted exam objectives. If you know the objectives you're good.

I would check online forums like TechExams for any test taking tips if they have them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

theperminator posted:

My second try at the 70-647 exam is booked for the week after next.

I'm still sucking at this though, even doing the practice exams I'm getting terrible scores, I really don't think I'm going to ever pass the exam.

Feeling this pain. I have to take my 3rd shot at it soon.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

WGU student? How was this test? I have my 70-680 next, and then Project+ is the last cert exam I need to take for my degree. I'm hoping it's as easy as all the other CompTIA stuff I've done.

I passed it for WGU. It's almost a vocabulary exam. If you know what the words mean, you'll pass the test. If you have great test taking skills it'll be even easier as most questions it's obvious which answers are completely incorrect.

That said I did find value in studying for the exam, put some of it to use in my day job.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Let's just stop talking about it in this thread. They're out there, some people use them, some don't whatever. They're frowned upon here and we don't discuss them in this thread.

Moving on.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

theperminator posted:

So I finally passed my 647 exam the other day, with a passing grade of 780.

Congrats man. I have to take my 3rd crack at it really soon. What did you use to study? I missed the first try by 1 question and the 2nd by 2 questions. I know there's another goon in here in a similar situation.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This is off topic, but can someone explain to me why everyone wants to be a pentester?

You couldn't pay me enough to do it, but some folks around here act like it's the most awesome job ever. This isn't directed at you XakEp, as you've been in the industry for a long time and know how it works, but mostly the young guys who have never worked real IT and think IT Security and Pen Testing is the holy grail of cool poo poo to do. I blame Hollywood and the movies for this.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That or start with the EMC Information Storage and Management v2 book and associated test.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You could say that about every CompTIA cert. The A+ might have a little value as an entry level cert, but a Windows 7 or whatever the MCDST cert these days is just as good in my book.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MrBigglesworth posted:

Has anyone taken the Transcender then followed up with one of the MS 70-*** exams?

The teacher in my class is stating that if you can pass the Transcender then you should be OK on the actual MS tests, in this case 70-642.

Just wondering how close the questions and answers are formatted. Im getting to 78% passing capability so far in my practices, shooting for more but wondering if a scenario is presented on the MS Test if I could use the Transcender as a frame of reference for that situation of whatever the question presents in addition to my over obsessive studying.

In general the actual test is harder than most legit practice tests. I would be shooting for at least 85% if not 90% on a practice test.

I'm not familiar with the Transcender product, but my recollection of the 70-642 is a standard 55 question exam with multiple choice and drag and drop questions. If that's what you're seeing, it's pretty close to what you'll get. The 642 wasn't *that* bad of a test. The 643, and 647 are motherfuckers though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't know of anywhere else that you could ask a question that specific and get an answer based on personal experience in 15 minutes.

Currently awaiting my registration information, but once that arrives I'll be in a VCP class in the fall. FINALLY.

Yeah, the community here is pretty cool. I got into my VCP course this fall as well. 219 bucks for 16 Tuesday nights. I'm 32... I feel too old to go back to community college.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

swampcow posted:

Check out your school's policy on auditing classes. You might be able to sit in on the class for free or a reduced rate. You wouldn't get school credit for it, but if the point is to just learn the material, who cares?

If the school won't allow it, befriend the instructor and sit in on the class anyway.

I'm taking my course as a continuing ed student, it's almost half the cost due to some NSF grant the CC system here got.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Got in for about $170, huzzah, finally my VCP! VMware's line of products has always been one of the two parts of my job I'm most passionate about, and not having a VCP, only-a-cert though it may be, has been holding me back a bit. Will be nice to fix that.

VMware's stuff is pretty cool, but I do have reservations about it's long term viability in the marketplace though at the prices they're charging. With the push to the cloud, and with OpenStack and Hyper-V becoming more mature people are going to start really thinking about the licensing costs associated with VMware. We're spending 7K per 2 socket box, and while we're still finding value in VMware in our larger sites, I just got the go ahead to use Hyper-V in some of our smaller non critical sites to save on costs. Doesn't make sense to spend 14K on licensing for 11K worth of servers. A debate for another thread though.

Comradephate posted:

I thought about that, and I probably will for the Cisco stuff, but for VCP you need to prove that you actually took the class before you can get the cert, don't you?

Correct. You can take the test anytime you want, but you have to have the class as well before the cert is granted. I do like this idea, but it can make it cost prohibitive for folks to get the cert, as for profit training companies are charging 3K+ for the course.

Remy Marathe posted:

Dude, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by who populates CC night classes. At 35 I found myself dead center between college kids and 40-somethings. I got scoffed at when I referenced my age as a hindrance.

It might be a bit creepy, but they already have a listing of folks who have registered for the course and I looked half of them up on LinkedIn.. most of them are older than me, one guy judging his work history going back to the late 80's is probably in his 50's. It'll be fine I'm sure. It'll be weird walking back on a campus though.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 9, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MrBigglesworth posted:

I'm scheduling my 70-642 next week. Any last tips or advice?

Yes. Know the everloving loving poo poo out of DNS. You should be able to know exactly what kind of zone does what, and when to use each kind of zone. STUB ZONE STUB ZONE STUB ZONE. Like this poo poo needs to be burned into your memory.

Microsoft loves to load the test up with new feature questions. If it existed in 2003 you probably won't see much on it, if it's new to 2008 or 2008R2 expect to see lots of it.

Go through the exam objectives, if you're iffy on more than 1 or 2 categories you may fail.
https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam-70-642.aspx

REMEMBER! Anything new to 2008(R2) is going to be more prevalent. Know that poo poo cold because you will get questioned on it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Docjowles posted:

This is good advice in general. I've run into a lot of "IT people" who have no drat idea what the difference between forward and reverse DNS is, or say an A record and a CNAME. If you gently caress up DNS, your entire infrastructure might as well be down so it's kind of important.

This is true, I would hope an average MS admin would know basics like that, but someone who walks into an established setup might not have to ever deal with a secondary or stub zones which the 642 goes into a fair bit. In my first 3 years of IT I never thought about primary/secondary/stub zones or zone transfers or anything else the 642 might ask you about

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sorry dude. Microsoft really upped their game from the 2003 era tests. These are some real motherfuckers to pass. I'm taking the 647 for the 3rd time soon which I've NEVER had to do.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The books are bad, tend to get published once early on in the tests life cycle and then never updated. The tests are constantly being updated. I know they almost changed completely when R2 was released. On the bright side you have a good idea of what you need to study up on now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

sanchez posted:

Did you pass the others ok? I got 640/642/643 on my first try, but 647 seems different, the book covers a lot but with minimal detail. I have 647 scheduled in a couple of days.

I had to take the 642 twice. I basically bombed the configuring network access portion of it since I've never used it at work. (No one uses that poo poo in the real world!) I was pretty weak in the new file/print services stuff as well. Scored a 612 the first time. I got through the 640 and 643 on the first try though. I have a 2003 MCSE and got through all those on the first try as well, the 642 was the first MS test I ever failed until the 647 which I've taken twice. The first time I got a 682 which is exactly 1 question off. The second time I missed by 2 questions. I have to take that test again soon and I'm hell bent on beating the poo poo out of that test.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What areas were you weak in? What concepts did you have trouble understanding? I'm not a huge fan of the books to be honest, I find they never go into enough detail.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Congrats! That finishes your :EA right?

You done for a while or are you going to hit the 2012 stuff?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think a VMware and nothing else admin role exists. It's always going to be a part of something else like Storage or Servers

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My workpace doesn't really care about certifications and none of my co-workers know I have any kind of certification at all. I don't want things to get weird. I'm not even telling my boss I'm taking the VCP class at a local community college this semester.

I'm ashamed of my certifications :smith:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I guess I just see it in my head as "Oh Skip has his MCSE, lets throw all this poo poo in his lap since he's certified"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

incoherent posted:

RE: 70-642. All my missed answers are in the supplemental book "Windows ServerŪ 2008 Networking and Network Access Protection (NAP)". A book that is brought up in passing reference in the exam book for the test said book is written for. Microsoft doesn't even recommend this book formally on its exam objectives page.

I'm so livid right now. Sorry had to get that off my chest.

Ugh I didn't even know this existed as its one of my weak points as well

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yup. Just got a used copy for under 11 bucks with prime shipping. This book is very useful

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Attempt #3 on the 70-647 is scheduled for Thursday. I'm not failing this fucker again.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

70-647 attempt # 3 in 2 hours. Hope this one goes better.

Edit: 880! gently caress that test. MCITP:EA done!

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 12, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How you feelin about your VCP class? I'm a little disappointed in mine for the following reasons:

1) we're paired up, so we alternate tasks. I'm not as antisocial as being an IT person on SA might make you think, but I'd much rather work on my own, because I know exactly what areas are second nature and what I'd like to pay a little extra attention to.

2) we're skipping some pretty big areas. He's already confirmed that we're not getting to dvswitches or DRS. Bleh.

I don't really care about the class to much, I'm only taking it so I can actually get the cert.

There's only 5 'pods' in the classroom so I'm actually on a team with 4 other guys. I let them do all the work since 3 of them have zero VMware experience. It's still early so we're doing basics like installing vSphere and vCenter, stuff like that. We only meet once a week on Tuesday night.

My teacher has also said we won't get into dvswitches, but he said we should make it to DRS.

I try not to get frustrated in the course, the guy teaching it is the typical CC IT Teacher. Was in IT in the 80's and 90's, and moved to teaching during/after the tech bust so he's never used this stuff in production and doesn't have much of a clue. He ends up asking me and another guy a lot of questions since we actually use the stuff at work. The first class I was incredibly frustrated by the way he was explaining all the pieces of VMware, he did it very poorly and folks were clearly confused.

All in all though I'm not looking to take anything away from it at all. I paid for the class so I can get the classroom time for the cert. I have a crazy nice lab at work from an decommissioned cluster I re-purposed where I can do whatever I want (4 x HP G6 servers and FC MSA SAN)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Amphion is correct.

Microsoft is changing poo poo up a bit. The MCTS certification is going away, so passing an individual cert no longer gets you anything like it used to.

The MCSA Server 2008 is NOT retiring, it's staying around. Server 2008 R2 is supported until 2020 so I don't see them retiring it very soon. They just retired the Server 2003 track a few months ago, so I would think it will stay around until the next Windows Server release.

The MCITP:EA is expiring at the end of Jan, 2014. Anyone holding this cert will also get the MCSA Server 2008 certification which allows them to upgrade their 2008 MCSA to the 2012 MCSA with just one test, and then take 2 additional exams for the new MCSE track. I did look at the MCSE: Private Cloud track though and you do not need an MCSA 2012 for that, you can have the 2008 MCSA and then take the 2 System Center exams and be MCSE: Private Cloud

Anyway, go forth and earn the 2008 MCSA, and post up if you need any help or have questions.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MrBigglesworth posted:

Questions? Then how the gently caress does one pass 70-642. I won't hit thy area again tip early next year. I got that NAP book mentioned earlier. It doesn't have R2 references though.

Lab it up if you haven't been already. I learn by doing, and making mistakes. I thought I had setup a VPN properly in 2008R2 and was banging my head against it for like 30 minutes on why it wouldn't connect. Ends up I had to modify a policy somewhere else for it to work. Lesson learned, knowledge retained.

I don't particularly care for the 70-642 since it covers so much poo poo not actually used in the real world. No one uses RRAS/Microsoft VPN in production that I've ever heard of. They have Cisco/Juniper boxes for that poo poo. Most folks also use a 3rd party solution for the monitoring and maintaining section of the test.

You're not going to see this on a Microsoft Test

Contoso Ltd is planning a remote access strategy for it's mobile workforce, what should you consider as the system administrator for Contoso Ltd?
  • PPTP
  • L2TP w/ IPSEC
  • Direct Access
  • Calling your VAR and getting pricing on a Juniper or Cisco VPN solution

Another tricky part of the test is the different DNS Zones. Average Windows Admin only touches nice easy to manage Active Directory Integrated zones they never have to think of. You really need to know Primary/Secondary/Stub zones, the difference between the 3, how each one works, and when to use each one. There's usually a key phrase in the question that points you to the right answer like "minimal amount of bandwidth" or "frequent changes"

Read and understand all of this, it's worth an easy 100 points on the test

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771898.aspx

The File and Print Services section of the exam will touch on all the new 2008 and 2008R2 tech. What's the difference between older DFS and DFS-R, what scenario would DFS-R help out with. Know how EFS works and it's limitations and recovery options

It'll touch on the new built in Windows Backup (:shh: it can't write to a tape drive :shh:)

Know what the FSRM does and can do, file screening, quote volume, templates, file classifications, etc.

WSUS is a big part of this test as well I think. You the different deployment scenarios of WSUS, you'll probably see questions like "with the least amount of administrative overhead" or "least amount of bandwidth"

You also really have to practice HOW to take a Microsoft test as well. The questions can be confusing and you really have to have sharp test taking skills to:

1- Identify exactly what Microsoft question is asking. You'll often have many sentences of unrelated information. Sometimes though there's a key nugget*
2- Catch the 'tricky' requirement in the question that will help you decide between 2 correct answers*
3- Make sure your answer is the 'Best' answer per Microsoft

* Take my example question above, they may word that question like

Contoso Ltd is a growing IT servicing company with multiple locations and work from home consultants. Contoso Ltd has 150 Windows 7 clients, 20 Windows XP clients, and 10 Unix based clients. Contoso is planning a remote access strategy for it's mobile workforce, what should you consider as the system administrator for Contoso Ltd?
  • PPTP
  • L2TP w/ IPSEC
  • Direct Access
  • SSTP

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

IT Guy posted:

What is the easiest way to get Microsoft ceritifications without taking a course? I want to get a few to increase my chances of finding a better job but my currently employer won't send me on a course unless it is benefitting them (understandable) and I'd feel pretty scummy anyway by getting them to pay for a bunch of courses and then loving off. However, I really don't want to drop thousands of my own money taking courses. Is there a cheap way to learn online and take the exams?

In what format? The cheapest way to take these exams is to get the corresponding book and follow it, and supplement it with TechNet.

If you're looking for something like CBT Nuggets or LabSim video training that stuff is expensive as well (*to acquire legally). CBT Nuggets is 99 bucks a month to subscribe/999 yr, and LabSim can run over 1000 bucks. Both of which pale to a 'Learning Center's pricing of 3500+ bucks for a one week course. Legit training unfortunately costs money. You could also explore your local community college's offerings as well, if they have a Microsoft IT Academy classes there training shouldn't break the bank.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Charles Martel posted:

A friend of mine and I were having a conversation earlier where I brought up going for the Cisco certs to break into networking, and he mentioned that age discrimination starts to show up for people in their 30s. He had it explained to him that people younger than that are more likely to get promotions and a bigger salary. I think he's full of poo poo.

Thoughts? Is age really that much of a determining factor, especially over experience and certifications?

While his observation may be somewhat correct, the underlying age factor probably doesn't have much to do with it.

What happens is younger folks are closer to the current edge of technology and therefore have more relevant skills. Why?

People let their skills stagnate, and then when they try to find a new job they find their skills are no longer up to date.

For example: I work with some very nice people, we're all dependable and have been here for a pretty long time (at least 6+ years each), the problem is a couple of them are not staying up to date on their skills. If something happens to their job there isn't a big demand for Windows 2000/2003 era knowledge right now. They don't know powershell, don't know newer versions of Exchange, haven't figured out how to automate Win7 deployments, unfamiliar with Windows 2K8+ features and administration, etc. You get the point. So you end up with a guy in his mid 30's that doesn't have a current skill set, while a guy in his early/mid 20's who just finished 2008/2012 training is going to be a better fit since he's up to date.

Now a guy in his 30's/40's that can bring years of business experience, who can ALSO stay current on his knowledge, now that dude can write his own ticket.

The Third Man posted:

I got a low score on of the config questions...am I allowed to post the general topic of the question? Because I think once I do it will be clear why...

Absolutely, as long as it isn't THE test question there shouldn't be a problem with it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

incoherent posted:

Protip: It's not depreciated till they stop talking about it in the guides/books/training. I full expect microsoft to ask about exchange CALs even though the book states they're not asked about on the exam.

Several of the Windows 2008 networking questions deal with IPV6. They're still teaching that FEC0::/10 is a valid site-local addressing scheme even though it was deprecated in Sept 2004. I'm sure the actual test has been updated, but the training materials still have it in there.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We have zero plans to even touch 2012 in probably the next 18 months. We're moving everything to 2008R2 for now. It's support cycle is good until 2020.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

madsushi posted:

Fully on 2012, actually upgrading to 2012 R2 with the new MSDN seed in the next week or so.

What kind of environment? We have business apps that we're just barely getting vendor support for 2008R2 on. I can't picture any kind of large production environment that can go to 2012R2 so fast.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Goddamn guys. It's Friday night and y'all are arguing about certs on the Internet.

Well let me join in. That VCA is loving worthless and it's insulting to even call it a certification. It more worthless than a CompTIA *+ cert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've taken some System Center training in the 'live online' format. It was just fine really, but I avoid business travel at all costs right now.

Instructor had a webcam and screen sharing software. Did the lecture then we did the virtual labs. It wasn't the same as being in a classroom, but I didn't feel like I missed much. I sat around in house clothes and trained from home that week. It ruled.