Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I'm finally looking to get off my rear end and get some certs so I can move into a larger corporate environment.

I recently passed my 074-409 thanks to the free exam voucher they were giving out last year and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out it can be substituted for my 70-412 exam when attempting to get your MCSA. So now I'm buckling down to get my 70-410/411 to get the first round of exams out on my treck to MCSE.

My question is, are there any recommended free resources out there to study for the 410/411? I'm trying to convince the powers that be to get a corporate CBT Nuggets login but they are hesitant. I think they suspect I'll get certs then leave (which isn't far from the truth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

dox posted:

I used CBT Nuggets and the Exam Ref for the 70-410 and passed on my second attempt (failed the first by one question). I recommend those two and labbing out the different technologies. I'm not sure what else is really available other than that. There are a lot of virtual labs that Microsoft provides that may help.

Well I've rolled out a whole new environment for the SMB I'm at so I already have some hands on experience with this stuff. I want the fancy piece of paper that says I know how to do it.

Gonna keep pestering them for CBT.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

unclenutzzy posted:

I'm currently working a dead-end help desk job. I only realized it a few days ago, but now I know I need to get certs to get out of here. I'm 22 without a college education and have no desire to spend money on a degree at this point.

My last gig was also help desk, but they got me started with PowerShell scripting and I absolutely loved it. I moved to a much smaller company and I'm on the phone more here so I don't have time to script. I figure because I like PowerShell so much I should move in a sys admin direction, but I have no idea how. I was going to do Sec+ first, but this Microsoft second shot deal seems really good. Should I study for an MCSA in Server 2012 or 2008? My end goal is to get in a sysadmin position so whatever will move me further down that path is what I want.

You'll probably want to start with your MCSA for 2012 R2.

I don't even think you can get certified for older versions anymore.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Venusy posted:

70-411 booked! :toot:

...for Friday 13th, so at least I have an excuse if things don't go well. :v:

I'm booking my 70-410 right now so I have a deadline and will get off my rear end to study.

Also, Second Shot up to May 31st is pretty rad.
https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/archive/2015/01/05/get-a-free-second-shot-on-mcp-exams-through-may-31

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Traffic Reporter posted:

Passed the 70-411 today and I'm trying to decide which test to take to finish up my server 2012 mcsa. I work for an msp that deals with small and medium businesses where a good chunk of the 70-412 stuff is above and beyond what we ever deal with, so I've been trying to decide between the hyper v and office 365 ones they're now letting you take as electives, since we set up hyper v and office 365 for pretty much any customer who will let us. I'm used to buying the book as primary study material which there doesn't seem to be for either of those tests, has anyone here taken either of these before? What are your thoughts on them and what did you use to study?

I took the Hyper-V one back in June and it was fairly easy.

I used http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/ for all my studying needs on this one. I kinda did things backwards because I have my 74-410 scheduled in March.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Traffic Reporter posted:

You didn't use any material other than that site? That doesn't look too bad at all. Were there any specific topics that were emphasized more than others?

Proper clustering/topology recommendations seemed to be a good chunk of the exam.

I have my grading sheet right next to me.

Configuer Hyper-V: 35-40%
Configure and Manage Virtual Machine High Availiability: 15-20%
Implement a Server Virtualization Infrastructure: 35-40%
Monitor and Maintain a Server Virtualization Infrastructure: 15-20%

Obviously you get some cross over in the topics. I did also use this document (was a great follow up after the videos)

http://www.veeam.com/wp-study-guide-microsoft-certification-exam-74-409-server-virtualization-windows-server-hyper-v-system-center.html

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I've got my 074-410 tomorrow and I had a question:

Do they use abbreviations constantly throughout the exam? Things like AD LDS and the like?

I only ask because I'm doing some practice exams and they just throw a bunch of abbreviations at me with no description to what it's referring to but then tell you the full name of it when you get the answer wrong.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, failed my 074-410. It was much more different than the 074-409 that I passed a few months ago.

Apparently the guy at the testing center said this has been happening a lot. Another guy was in there with me and was doing the same test. He failed as well.

Good thing I get a free retake. Now I know what to expect.

Can anyone recommend some more training material for the 074-410? I've been using CBTNuggets thus far.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Singh Long posted:

So for any Canadians here, is there some reason why both CompTIA's marketplace and PearsonVUE list an A+ voucher/exam's price in USD? I don't usually purchase things online, but I'm guessing either place won't accept CDN currency. How much am I actually paying for and do I have to deal with some conversion charge?

Sorry for the odd questions, because I haven't gotten any response from both places and I'd like more info before I do anything rash.

In my experience it'll charge your account in USD so your credit card will see a 20% increase from the actual purchase price.

It's lovely.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Singh Long posted:

And no one else complained about it? I don't mind having to pay a bit more than an American, but cert vendors should be a lot more transparent when it comes to foreign pricing. We shouldn't have to make a blind leap of faith just because of some unexplained reason.

Well since we're being certed by an American company we're kinda stuck with that.

The other option is we pay a higher than market value for the cert full time and don't get the inverse swing when our dollar comes to par.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone use pluralsight for exam prep?

I've been checking out a few vids from the 74-410 exam I'm retaking and their videos seem very short and lack a lot of details that I know the exam asked for. Prior to this I had the CBT Nugget subscription and I found that while the information was very useful a lot of it didn't apply to the exam questions that came up.

I guess I'm just trying to find some other resources to fill in the gaps that I was missing the first time around on my exam

(My lowest scores were the "Install and Configure Servers" and "Install and Administrator Active Directory").

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sacred Cow posted:

The problem with any video series is they're not going to give you everything you need to pass an exam. They hit the highlights and you're supposed to fill in the gaps through practice on your own in a lab environment.

I guess I need exercises then. I have a lab environment set up and I feel fairly comfortable with it (I've been working with these systems for a while now in production) but for some reason the hypothetical questions they posed on the exam just seemed overly complicated.

Also, manual routing tables apparently was a thing that I should have been aware of but have yet to run into in any training material.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sacred Cow posted:

Routing tables and how to troubleshoot/manage Hyper-V NICs using PowerShell was what threw me off when I took it. Luckily PS is pretty easy to guess if you've worked with it before.

Have you set up a Server Core with ADDS/DNS/DHCP yet? It sucks but it forces you to learn most if not all the PS commands they expect you to know.

Yep, got both a core and a full DC running in my environment and communicating fine with eachother.

The weird question I got was just a CMD screen with routes advertised on it and "Why does this not communicate with this one system". The kicker was as far as I was concerned all the subnetting looked fine on it so I couldn't think of a reason why it would fail.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bone posted:

:negative: So the voucher I have for the 802 expires April 13. Assuming I haven't started studying for it yet, how hosed am I?

Just to get it out of the way, yes, I am an irresponsible procrastinator of mammoth proportions.

Check to see if you can book a date further out using your voucher. My Microsoft 74-409 had a free voucher that expired in May but I was able to book a test out in July with it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

goobernoodles posted:

I'm in the middle of a (free with MS vouchers) 70-410 mentor-led "class" where you watch videos, reference Microsoft courseware and then do labs using a virtual lab running on hyper-v. The videos definitely leave something to be desired, but I really can't complain. Besides some online Vmware classes, this is the first "real" IT training I've had.

That said, I'm familiar with most of the material. I'm focusing on getting a good broad understanding of each module and subject this week, then I'll build a server 2012 R2 test environment with a spare server from work for testing things out on. I'm going to be taking the 411 class at the end of April, and plan on taking the 410 exam immediately afterwards. Since second chance looks like it's active right now, why not, right? If I don't pass, I plan on taking the next week to really cram, pass, god willing, then schedule the 411 for the next weekend.

Can anyone recommend some tips for what to try in labs, what to know inside and out, what to not waste too much time on, etc? I've never taken a Microsoft exam before. I just got a library card that gives me access to Books 24x7 which has some Microsoft books. Is this a good one? http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-111885991X,miniSiteCd-SYBEX.html

I attempted the 410 a few weeks ago. Here's what I suggest.

Set up a DC using server core. Familiarize yourself with the powershell commands. Set up DNS and DHCP on the core.
Learn how NTFS permissions interact with Share permissions. Understand what NTFS permissions do what.
Make sure you have a good grasp of subnetting.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Failed the 410 again. The tests are ridiculous.

about 30% of it was Hyper-V questions, and all the problem areas that it told me to study last time didn't even show up. Not a single File Permission question to be found where the last exam was inundated with them.

I can't afford to take the test again currently and honestly I don't know if I want to. I don't have the resources to effectively study for the thing and work isn't paying for any of this.

Maybe I'll try to find another cert I can hammer out in the meantime so I can land into a better company and take it from there.

Has anyone here passed the 74-410 2012 R2 yet? And if so, are you administering the thing Daily as part of your job?

m.hache fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 29, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm debating taking Security+ as a morale booster after another failed 410.

The book in the OP still relevant? And is there a cheap place in Canada where I can get an Exam voucher for it, or do I have to spend the $500 after US exchange.

Also I see that the Security+ includes an option for the SY0-301 and SY0-401. I would imagine it would make sense to take the 401 for maximum coverage?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sacred Cow posted:

I passed the 410 a few months ago. I've been doing some form of MS server management for about 5 years now. I'd say about 50% of the questions and study material was applicable to my day to day job. The biggest problem with studying for the 410 is that it covers such a wide amount of server stuff at a high level, so you can study your rear end off on your weakest subject and never end up getting asked about it. When I took mine it was all Hyper-V and file sharing and only 1 Group Policy question which is where I'm my strongest.

My one testing horror story was back when I took my XP certification for the first time and had 10 questions in a row about fax settings followed by 3 questions about setting up wireless IR printers. I failed that one pretty drat hard.

I ended up passing the 409 last year and those questions were easier than the Hyper-V questions on the 410. Scenario questions I do fairly well with. The "How do you create a NIC Team in powershell" and they list 4 commands with slight variances in them that off hand I can't point out but given 5 seconds in powershell I could figure it out.

It reminds me of those teachers that had me do programming exams on paper and wanted us to write out code by hand. What's the point of doing that? I feel that the exams would be much more forgiving if you had access to a powershell window.

Sidenote: http://www.amazon.ca/CompTIA-Security-SY0-401-Guide-Deluxe/dp/0789753332/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430328547&sr=8-2&keywords=sy0-401

Would this be the recommended book for a SY0-401 prep?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Cutting questions I can't answer; but as someone currently using book in question, it's good. A free resources that's good is also Professor Messer's Security+ videos. I'm kinda sad this is the last exam I'll take where I'll be able to use his stuff. :(

Thanks, book marked it and I'll start up tomorrow.

If anyone else can weigh in on http://www.amazon.ca/CompTIA-Security-SY0-401-Guide-Deluxe/dp/0789753332/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430328547&sr=8-2&keywords=sy0-401

That'd be appreciated.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sacred Cow posted:

My intro to programming class was like that. They had us write out pseudo code to make sure we understood the logical layout and concepts of coding. It felt annoying at first but I understand why they have you do it. Also get used to not having full access to a shell when testing. I don't know if they still do this but the Cisco tests I've taken (and failed) disable help and tab completion.

If I remember correctly there were a few questions on the 410 that ask for the best way to complete a task where the correct answer was still a CMD command and not Powershell.

Oh it wasn't pseudocode. He was piping in the code directly to a compiler and dinging us for every syntax error.

Eonwe posted:

I don't remember the numbers, but I remember for my MCSA Windows Server cert the first one was much harder. There is a lot you need to know for the MCSA and the most essential stuff (stuff that will basically be required knowledge for all those tests) is really tested on the first test. What, were there 3 tests? I think the 1st one really drilled you on FSMO roles and other pretty vital stuff whereas the other two took that knowledge somewhat for granted and started asking more specialized questions.

but please keep in mind that this is Microsoft and the way they handle selecting questions is probably magic so your experience may vary

this is true

The test I did today had no mention of:

Trusts
FSMO Roles
User Creation
OU Management

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I thought I was taking the wrong test at first.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sacred Cow posted:

The 410 has a pool of around 400 questions and they pick 40 of them at random. I didn't get any FSMO, OU or trust questions either. The User Creation question I got was the one I was thinking of where they want the CMD instead of Powershell.

I got that one today too. It was like

"Which one of these commands can mass create users with the least amount of administrative effort" or something like that and it listed 4 valid ways to import users.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If it was my job to design a test that was easy for people to pass if they memorized test dumps, but hard for people with hands on practical experience, I think my tests would look just like Microsoft's.

Sounds about right.

The kicker is I'm currently managing a small domain and I've rolled out a full array of features in here that they ask about on the exam, but "What's the first step to see the DNS cache" isn't exactly the first thing I remember. Give me 2 minutes in DNS manager though and I'll sure as hell be able to find it.

EDIT: I just checked and I had gotten that question right on the exam anyways but it was more of a guestimation than anything.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This probably isn't going to fill you with a lot of confidence.

Wow, I didn't realize Testout still existed.

Yeah who knows. Maybe I'm just really bad at these tests.

Keep at it!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

I'm thinking of canceling my 70-410 appointment at the end of the month. I haven't had my heart in studying at all and I honestly don't even know where to begin. If you're on your second go and studying and still can't sink it, there's no hope for me.

I was going to go for second shot, but I'll just end up feeling bad about myself.

Honestly if you've already paid for it I would hammer it out and see how you do.

Like I said, I probably just got really lovely questions. After I failed the first time I went back and studied like mad my weak areas, and they weren't even on the second exam.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

There's some kid out there now changing their college path as a result of this article.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I also love that with all the heavy Hyper-V saturation in the 410 there is a whole other exam (the 409) dedicated to Hyper-V which is considerably easier (for me at least).

The new job will be paying for my certs and training so I'll likely take another stab at the 410 soon but god drat I am not looking forward to it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh you gotta - even myself, I need to finish closing on this house and then after that I intend to hit some certs full speed.

That technet dump that was posted is still the best resource, the only problem is that 8709 pages is a bit of a beast to browse through. My tablet for example, scrolling through that PDF is very slow. So I did the simple thing - split the 8709 pages into eleven 800 page PDFs. Now I can browse it quickly from the tablet, get some reading done anywhere.

That's still a ridiculous amount of information to have on hand at any time though. I can't imagine memorizing even a portion of it and have it be useful.

The test are really tough for people who aren't already immersed daily into the environments. Even with test environments a lot of the poo poo they were asking on the tests were so out of scope from what I thought I was supposed to be studying it wasn't funny. I'm sitting here setting up DCs using powershell, working with core setups and understanding as much of the features provided as possible and they ask me questions "Which menu can you find memory NUMA settings". 2 seconds of actually being able to click through the menu system I could discover this information and yet that's how they qualify my expertise on the test.

I feel like the tests should be more "When would you want to adjust your NUMA settings" or "What situation would you want to configure NIC Teaming".

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Daylen Drazzi posted:

When I was going to school for my degree in Education we were required to take a class on testing methodologies - it was basically a class that trained us how to write tests that actually covered the material we taught, and wasn't some sort of "gotcha" game. It's been 17 years since I took the class, but basically it boiled down to you, as the test writer, making sure the test was validated (i.e. not covering minutiae that was never discussed or covered). It seems to me that maybe the Microsoft test writers should take a course on that, rather than going up to one of the programmers and asking him to come up with a couple questions to ask about his esoteric application that runs in the background and no one really works with (x100).

But hey, what the hell do I know.

I'm not sure if it's because I failed the 410 twice that it's left a sour taste in my mouth, but of all the exams I've taken throughout college, and for certifications, if I got a low mark I could look at myself and go "Yeah, I probably should have studied more".

With the 410, it was like "How the gently caress was I supposed to prep for that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Clark2 posted:

After reading these last 2 pages...now I'm really worried :ohdear:
Guess it's time to find some of these dumps that keep getting mentioned.

I wouldn't. If you ever get caught using the dumps you'll have all certs pulled and be black listed.

Just go in and hope you get a good test.