Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Bomb Hills, Not Countries

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

That's what I'm thinking for myself. If I know I have to have all four tests done in the next 7 months, I will be motivated to study. From now, that's a little less than 8 weeks study time for each exam.

That sounds like the worst thing I've ever heard.

That said, I HIGHLY suggest 640 first. I, amongst others, think it was the worst of the MCITP:EA tests and covers the biggest range of new concepts if you don't have a lot of server admin experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Isn't this backwards? I started reading the 640 but I think I need to know how to configure a server before messing with AD.

There really is no catch-all 'configure a server' test that would help before AD would. The stuff covered in 640 includes most of what you'd need to know.

There are some enterprise network server design exams I think, but not that apply to an MCITP:EA and you're already pressed for time.

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I've read through the first 50 pages or so of the CompTIA Security+ guide, and they very strongly emphasize that you need to have a Network+ cert before bothering with Security+. I'm skeptical, since of course the guys who administer the tests and write the books want you to pay for and take as many certification tests as possible. If I do exactly as the OP says, read the book a few times and copy the port chart from memory, will I be screwed by my lack of Network+ chops or am I probably okay?

I really just need Security+ (for helping me out in one facet of a job that I already have) and don't want to spend more time and money getting Network+ if I can avoid it.

Except for some general terminology, and like, some port numbers, there is very little in N+ that you'd need for S+

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

MJP posted:

I just took the 2012 exam. The MS book is the only one out there for the 70-417 now, but it's actually readable and logical. It's as good as the Sybex books I used for 2k3 and ten times better than the 70-648 book to upgrade.

The one thing you want to know for 2012: so much of it is Hyper-V that if you use Virtualbox, you're gonna have to find another VM solution. Reason being you can't install the Hyper-V role on a 2012 server that doesn't have its processor exposed to the OS. There's nothing in Virtualbox that allows full CPU exposure - at least, nothing I could find in the Virtualbox forums. You may wanna plunk down for just a separate physical box to do the Hyper-V labs on, if you've got the dollars for it.

Definitely know your Hyper-V, and be prepared for a lot of stuff on Server 2012/Win 8 features that work well in Server 2012 environments, and at least understand basic Powershell cmdlet structure.

I'm sitting for the 70-417 tomorrow and that seems to be what I've heard. Hyper-V doesn't really worry me at all, but I've got a separate machine here at home I've been playing on it with. Only thing I haven't played with is Clustering and Hyper-V Replicator since I only have the one box, but eh, I'm not worried. The MS Press book I think did a pretty good job, although I hate that none of the books have exercises to do at the end of the chapters anymore.